Morrissey Central "‘BONFIRE OF TEENAGERS’ IS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS" (June 14, 2023)

'BONFIRE OF TEENAGERS’ IS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS'

unnamed.png

Artist-friendly Capitol Records (Los Angeles) have no plans to release ‘Bonfire of Teenagers’ two and a half years after the album was recorded.

unnamed.jpg

Morrissey’s new comment on the situation:

“It’s a clear display of how censorian the music industry has become. It is a new part of the music industry that does not work and that nobody likes. Music should be the primary democracy, as all art should be, and any effort to keep people away from it simply invites deeper discussion. There is no point banning ‘Bonfire of Teenagers’ because somebody somewhere might be offended if they heard it. Why waste time on other people’s mental incapacities? And where is Capitol’s support for the kids who were murdered in that Manchester bonfire on 22 May 2017? Although Capitol claims to be a label of ‘diversity’ it is very difficult to see their humanity. If you are only prepared to release music that draws people’s minds away from thinking then you are unfit for any contact with creative people. Songs are literary compositions, and writing music should be an unrestricted open form. It seems to me that Capitol Records cannot observe the possibility that their artists or their potential customers have ever thought. But silencing certain artists achieves nothing, and simply makes the bonfire burn taller and louder. The moral perspective at Capitol Records who is sitting like a hen on an egg on ‘Bonfire of Teenagers’ is Michelle Jubelirer, who played no small part in removing ‘World Peace is None Of Your Business’ from the shelves in 2014 - determined that it could not sell or be heard. The same creeping culture of censorship at Capitol Records has taken place with ‘Bonfire Of Teenagers’, and the civic structure of Capitol now appears fascist. I still have hope in the music industry, but there are evidently several powerful faces within it that have no honest interest in music … and you follow them into the shadows at your peril.”
MORRISSEY.

unnamed[1].png

(Middle image = Michelle Jubelirer).
FWD.

Media items:

re-record the fuc%ing album!!

yeah well, I assume he just paid for the recording of WMTWD. I doubt he’s going to want to pay to re-record BoT. Especially if no labels (contracts he desires) are lining up to sign him.

Edit : and not because he can’t afford it. But more likely out of principle.

Last edited:
That's just silly. I Live In Oblivion made me tear up when I saw him last year. Obviously taste is subjective but just because YOU dont like it, doesn't mean it should be cast aside. He could just re-record the album and release it ala Taylor Swift.
Oblivion seemed like the best song, by some margin. And I’d give it 7/10.

I'm sure if the songs were better, the album would have been released. With one or two exceptions, the songs previewed live were not strong. And in a couple instances, they were downright poor.

have they? just makes me suspicious. I mean, if some people already have it, I’m surprised it hasn’t been leaked yet.

I prefer Vegas rendition , but this one is awesome too

I'm sure if the songs were better, the album would have been released. With one or two exceptions, the songs previewed live were not strong. And in a couple instances, they were downright poor.

But surely the label heard the album before signing him?

Such matters are dealt with by lawyers or management, not by a website with a dubious reputation.
Oh Morrissey , so much to answear for... 🙄

I still don't understand why he signed with them in a deal that didn't give him the right to walk and shop it elsewhere if they refused to release it within a certain time period. He should have just self-released on on Bandcamp or something for digital, then a boutique label for CD and vinyl special editions. Absurd that 2.5 years later still no album release in sight (and another new album already in the can too!). He has to get over this boomer obsession with big name record company labels and , traditional record contracts, the old way of releasing music.

He could also possibly re-record it and shop the new masters elsewhere or just self-release those (Capitol may own the original master recording, but if Moz still owns the publishing rights, he could essentially just do a cover of himself and re-record and not even have to pay a publishing rights fee to Capitol).

LOL at him pretending Capitol even cares what's on the album. They shelved it because they're tired of dealing with his shenanigans. If it's spicy and full of controversial opinions that makes it even more appealing for them to release. But they haven't because they're just done with his shit.

But Capitol/Harvest have dealt with him before, surely they knew he could be a pain in the ass. So with this knowledge, why sign him again?

They must have had some faith in the album, or that his name and fan base was enough for them to agree to release BoT.

It’s not adding up. And even if Capitol released a statement, can we believe them as much as we believe Morrissey’s side of the story? which is not much.

I still don't understand why he signed with them in a deal that didn't give him the right to walk and shop it elsewhere if they refused to release it within a certain time period. He should have just self-released on on Bandcamp or something for digital, then a boutique label for CD and vinyl special editions. Absurd that 2.5 years later still no album release in sight (and another new album already in the can too!). He has to get over this boomer obsession with big name record company labels and , traditional record contracts, the old way of releasing music.

He could also possibly re-record it and shop the new masters elsewhere or just self-release those (Capitol may own the original master recording, but if Moz still owns the publishing rights, he could essentially just do a cover of himself and re-record and not even have to pay a publishing rights fee to Capitol).

This makes too much sense, and we’re talking about Morrissey here. ;)

There's probably more going on here than known. The tête-à-tête started/escalated when the "Leif Janzen" meddling became very visible.
FWD.

The songsI heard at two live shows I attended last year were to be brutally honest, very poor.
Everything about that album I have disliked.
From the art work, the subject matter, hearing them live.
As somebody posted above, forget all about it and just Quickly move on.
I went to shows in Vegas and Boston last year so I got to hear a lot of the new ones.

I Live In Oblivion and Saint In A Stained Glass Window were both really powerful.

Veronica is very good, very catchy.

Rebels was decent.. also catchy.. It's no Life is a Pigsty but it's better than songs like The Father Who Must Be Killed or How Can Anybody Possibly Know How I Feel?

Telephones Rings was ok but I really like the line "You should tell the little kids they live in hell now"

Bonfire of Teenagers was the one I thought was a powerful message but I didn't like the arrangement.

I can't comment on any others as I didn't hear them in person.

I think it's hard to judge songs if you haven't heard them live or heard them as they were meant to be heard. Of course, as I suggested earlier, the studio version of Rebels does not appear to be recorded with the purpose of people hearing it. If given the opportunity to pay for those songs I would be glad to hand over the money.

Last edited:

That is possible. However, there have been a few instances where he has released some LPs that were hard to accept at first - especially with die-hard fans who always compare new LPs to his overall best. To me, the ones that 'didn't grab me' at first are Uncle, Maladjusted, Quarry, and Ringleader. However, each of those LPs feature several great Morrissey songs that stand amongst his best. So...if you are right, maybe BOT didn't have a few 'Let Me Kiss You' type classics, so to speak.

I think it's more about Morrissey leaving Capitol and his public attitude towards Capitol that's preventing it's release. If he signed a contract w/them which specifically says Capitol owns the recordings, he could've waited until BOT's release and THEN come out with the whole story about Capitol and their 'non-promotion, lack of artist support, etc.' But at least, like someone said earlier - let's be hopeful for Without Music The World Dies. I am.

What? no, absolutely not, I want to hear Bonfire of Teenagers.

Somebody f***ing leak it already!
Klinghoffer said he has a copy of it on his phone. Where are the iCloud hackers when you need them the most?

These people wouldn't know art if it came up and bit them on the arse.

Btw - the petition to release BOT is now up to almost 700 signatures.

I remember when I was young and believed I could make a difference in the world.. I would sign petitions with great passion and inspiration. Not one single petition ever changed anything.

The saddest of all was failing to petition ice cream trucks to bring back the Cherry Bomb.

The songsI heard at two live shows I attended last year were to be brutally honest, very poor.
Everything about that album I have disliked.
From the art work, the subject matter, hearing them live.
As somebody posted above, forget all about it and just Quickly move on.

I couldn't disagree more. Judging by the 5 live tracks he played off the album it could well be one of Morrissey's best solo works. I love every single track.

Veronica and Rebels are two of my favorite tracks in a long time, Bonfire is fantastic, Telephone...etc

Everyone's different, though.

I couldn't disagree more. Judging by the 5 live tracks he played off the album it could well be one of Morrissey's best solo works. I love every single track.

Veronica and Rebels are two of my favorite tracks in a long time, Bonfire is fantastic, Telephone...etc

Everyone's different, though.
+ 1

Tags
bonfire of teenagers

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom