Beethoven Was Deaf vs. Live At Earl's Court

Re: Opinions on Live at Earls Court and Beethoven is Deaf

Aside from Morrisseys great material, even my friends who can't stand the man (yes there many of them out there), have to admit what a great technician Moz is. His singing live is note perfect and I'm not aware of any post production work done to his voice to correct poor intonation. I've seen a few bands live and singers often struggle to stay in tune, relying on the excitement of the event to carry it off. This is not meant as critisism, singing with a loud live electric band is some task. Razorblade complains of 'Out-of-tune/out-of-breath vocals'. On contraire! Neither at the gig or on the CD do I find these errors. Indeed the live renditions can be prefereable to the studio release, Last of the Gang, You Know I Couldn't Last, Certain People I Know, I Have Forgiven Jesus, The Boy with the Thorn in his side (from Rank) to name but a few.

The Introducing Morrissey VHS is great. The sound is also impressively good, I think the analog medium just makes the whole performance that much fuller and special. I think you can still find a few brand new for a hefty amount.

It's too bad they didn't include Used to be a Sweet Boy and Shoplifters on that one.

His singing live is note perfect

Not quite always... which is to be expected.

What I can't stand is when he sings purposefully off-key, or with silly inflections, or (worst of all) grunts and groans as opposed to singing the song. He was purposely butchering "First of the Gang to Die" on the US 2009 Tour (East Coast Leg.) Brutal.

Last edited:

Not quite always... which is to be expected.

What I can't stand is when he sings purposefully off-key, or with silly inflections, or (worst of all) grunts and groans as opposed to singing the song. He was purposely butchering "First of the Gang to Die" on the US 2009 Tour (East Coast Leg.) Brutal.
Harsh Truth, what you say is indeed a harsh truth, his voice is glorious and I see no need for the silly inflections although I've always excused this as showmanship. OK, I'll temper my position by adding 'mostly'. Nevertheless I'll stand by my claim about his technique.

Back
Top Bottom