Morrissey Central "CANCEL CULTURE BEGINS AT HOME" (January 11, 2024)

full

"There is also an obvious media shift to delete me from being the central essence of The Smiths, but this cannot work because I invented the group name, the song-titles, the album titles, the artwork, the vocal melodies, and all of the lyrical sentiments came from my heart … and so it's a bit like saying Mick Jagger had nothing to do with the Stones. Several news sites now claim that the initial meeting at Rough Trade Records was with "Johnny Marr and Andy Rourke," even though Andy wasn't even a committed band member at that point. The meeting, of course, was Morrissey and Marr. Even Geoff Travis has now suddenly decided that he "can't remember who was with Johnny," even though Geoff looked me squarely in the eye on that very day and said "we'd like to release Hand In Glove immediately," and he then more importantly said to me that his name was Geoff with a G, not Jeff with a J. The hounds are snapping!

Hand in glove, I stake my claim! I'll fight to the last breath! "

-Morrissey, in conversation, 2023.

full

Morrissey in Tokyo, 2023, by Ryan Lowry.

Media items:

Last edited by a moderator:
That’s hilarious. Did he not ask Johnny to not mention him? Johnny is doing tons of press and doing as he was asked. What did Morrissey expect?

In conversation with who?

himself.

That’s hilarious. Did he not ask Johnny to not mention him? Johnny is doing tons of press and doing as he was asked. What did Morrissey expect?

yes, that’s one way to see as a reason for it. But why should these news sites, replace his presence with Andy? Of course, if anyone has links to the articles in question, that would be great.

Last edited:
I wasn’t aware this version of events was contested? I wasn’t even particularly aware of Morrissey’s version of events.

Nevertheless, the apparent anxiety does seem to register Marr’s growing parity with Morrissey in the eyes of many music fans. And Morrissey would probably do well to simply keep calm, and carry on. Instead, he’s just drawn the entire world’s attention to it.

Morrissey CANNOT be erased from the history of The Smiths. It is not possible. We know that much of the magic came from Morrissey. I don't even know why he makes these comments. It's unnecessary. He doesn't have anything to prove. I also wish he wouldn't say that he's the only "central essence" of The Smiths. That's untrue.

himself.

yes, that’s one way to see as a reason for it. But why should these news sites, replace his presence with Andy? Of course, if anyone has links to the articles in question, that would be great.

The timing is suspicious.

God knows what news site he's seen or heard about - but he should be careful that "fighting" it doesn't end up reinforcing it.

Morrissey CANNOT be erased from the history of The Smiths. It is not possible. We know that much of the magic came from Morrissey. I don't even know why he makes these comments. It's unnecessary. He doesn't have anything to prove. I also wish he wouldn't say that he's the only "central essence" of The Smiths. That's untrue.

I think he’s defining ‘central essence’ in this case as meaning the person that … ‘invented the group name, the song-titles, the album titles, the artwork, the vocal melodies, and all of the lyrical sentiments came from my heart

There is also an obvious media shift to delete me from being the central essence of The Smiths, but this cannot work because I invented the group name, the song-titles, the album titles, the artwork, the vocal melodies, and all of the lyrical sentiments came from my heart..’

The timing is suspicious.

God knows what news site he's seen or heard about - but he should be careful that "fighting" it doesn't end up reinforcing it.

I don’t think he’s fighting it. Think he’s just pointing out that he notices it, and is making corrections. I think it’s good.

it’s been so long, that he should feel comfortable with it by now, I would think.
Yes and now it’s 40 years on (since the debut album).
Also the out of character Quarry shows and the list of people he shook hands with.

It’s all looking back. Which I think is a good thing. It’s a celebratory year for Moz in many ways.

Yes and now it’s 40 years on (since the debut album).
Also the out of character Quarry shows and the list of people he shook hands with.

It’s all looking back. Which I think is a good thing. It’s a celebratory year for Moz in many ways.
It’s good if he can fully embrace it, but it rather seems like he’s a little haunted by it all.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom