Morrissey Central "FORTY YEARS AGO" (January 9, 2024)

aea277daa0414b945f48cbc84e9f94368f68bb46.gif

What Difference Does It Make? (Rough Trade Records)

Hatful feels like an album. Louder does not.

Sa

Same here, 16, the perfect age at the perfect time 👍
The great thing about the smiths for me, is that it’s still a learning curve.
When I’m out and about with my smiths/ Moz shirt on. I’m astounded by the younger generation that approach me for a chat.
They are very knowledgable about The Smiths.

Poster of the only Smiths gig i got to.
Bet the Mozzcast - and the rest of us - would love to hear from you!
Johnny ripped the guitar rift for What difference.. from Ten pole Tudors - Swords of a thousand men. I think Morrissey had an issue with that as he wanted the Smiths to sound different to all that had gone before

From the notes with this version of the remaster:

[Morrissey has stated on more than one occasion that this track is among his least favorite Smiths songs. He picked on the rock influences and the cliche lyrics in particular, saying he regretted the track the day after the record was pressed. Marr has similarly voiced his cynicism: "It was all right. I didn't think it was a particularly strong one. [...] There was one stage where I was playing 'What Difference Does It Make?' seven or eight gigs on the trot and I didn't like the feeling. I knew that this was not why I had got involved in a band in the first place...It became one of the band's first significant chart hits, peaking at number 12 on the UK Singles Chart. Morrissey obscurely told the meaning of this song after being pressed about it: "I just wanted to have a very easy attitude, and that's what the lyrics imply. People get so neurotic about themselves. Their lives, their hair, their teeth. What difference does anything make, really?"] ~ The Smiths Wiki

This was the song that really hooked me up with the Smiths & Morrissey & Marr.
TCM is probably more loved these days than this one (for good reasons).
But at the time this was my favorite because of the rocking outtro and some lines that I still like to quote, like « heavy words are so lightly thrown » or « the devil will find work for idle hands to do ».

I believe Alain Whyte tried unsuccessfully for nigh on 20 years to get Morrissey to do this song live :ROFLMAO:

The great thing about the smiths for me, is that it’s still a learning curve.
When I’m out and about with my smiths/ Moz shirt on. I’m astounded by the younger generation that approach me for a chat.
They are very knowledgable about The Smiths.
Absolutely Baz, and it has always been that way, if i see someone wearing a smiths or moz shirt, i say 'hello, like your shirt', its like you know they are possibly gonna be like minded souls. Sometimes they look at you as if you're mad but usually other fans are pleasant.
The downside now is lots of people wear them like they wear Ramones, or Motorhead shirts, like a fashion accessory.

Johnny ripped the guitar rift for What difference.. from Ten pole Tudors - Swords of a thousand men. I think Morrissey had an issue with that as he wanted the Smiths to sound different to all that had gone before

Hmmm, I don’t hear it. Was that something Marr admitted to? or maybe it’s a different song by them?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom