How Often Do Radios In Your Country/City Play Morrissey/The Smiths?

In San Francisco, a major metropolitan area, he is virtually never played. The only time I have heard him in recent years is during the "slow jam" Sunday morning show on 97.3, where of course they play, Everyday is Like Sunday. It is so sad that the stations are so narrow to the corporate setlist.
The college station KUSF 90.3 is where I discovered The Smiths in 1984 ( I was in middle school) with Rubber Ring, but alas the reception is so poor I can't hear that station in my neighborhood. Thank God for the internet, and Youtube!

Of course on Sirius satellite radio Channel 22 (First Wave) they play Moz and Smiths all the time. Yay! Also on Music Choice Comcast channel 715 (Retro-Active) they play Smiths, Moz and many other cool bands.

Yep that's the ones i listen to, and on Siruis Left of Center, they put it too. On the Gospel show with the Minister, he always put some.:)

We have 1 station in Cleveland that does play the Smiths every so often. Of course the songs are usually How Soon is now, Girlfriend in a Coma and Bigmouth Strikes Again. Though someone I work claims he heard The Queen is Dead and This Charming Man. Have yet to hear any Morrissey songs.

here in LA, tha's hardly ever. but when they do, they usually put on something by the Smiths and it's usually How Soon is Now.

i can't recall the last time i heard a Morrissey song on the air past the 1990s and certainly none of the new stuff ever gets played. MTV gave more air time to Your Arsenal and stopped after that.

106.7 KROQ used to play good music - now it's all mediocrity. Indie 103.1 occasionally does, but it would still be The Smiths.

indie is a very good station. it depends what time of the day you're listening to to hear anything sung by morrissey.

93.1 jack fm plays HOW SOON IS NOW? about once a week.

I listen to the radio everyday (mainly JJJ), the other day, I put the kids in the car, turned on the ignition and let out a scream. My daughter said 'whats wrong mum, have we crashed?" No....I'd only heard the 'How Soon Is Now?' guitar....

Smiths/Moz not played on the radio over here very often

I listen to Virgin Radio Xtreme netcast for the second day, and they have this Vintage Track thing> yesterday they played "The More You Ignore Me...", today "Panic".

I was born and raised in the San Francisco bay area, and have since moved a bit into the central valley. I lived in the bay area until 2005, and would actually hear the Moz/Smiths on a station called Live 105FM, however mainly during a daily noon 80's alternative lunch hour. I'm unsure if this show still commences, or if they still even play Morrissey. Out here in the central valley, I have only heard the Moz ONCE! And that was inside a Togo's sandwich shop; they were playing the radio, though, so whatever station it was had a fancy for "Suedehead".

Radio seems to really have gone to crap where I live, though hopefully it is thriving elsewere.

Cheers From CA,

TD

According to my mom they played You Have Killed Me during a hockey match on SVT.

And during the lovely summer of 2004 I heard Irish Blood, English Heart and First Of The Gang To Die on a daily basis at radio channel P3. In the beginning of June it could be so much as three times à day.

Out of the last singles I've only heard You Have Killed Me once andThe Youngest Was The Most Loved twice. Not even close to how big YATQ became here.

Never!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've pretty much given up on radio. I only hear the "yelling at me music". My friends joke that it's all Morrissey all the time in my vehicle. I know what I like and I listen to it all the time. I think if I ever hear Moz on the Radio I'd probably lie in the middle of the street and die.

In San Francisco, a major metropolitan area, he is virtually never played. The only time I have heard him in recent years is during the "slow jam" Sunday morning show on 97.3, where of course they play, Everyday is Like Sunday. It is so sad that the stations are so narrow to the corporate setlist.
The college station KUSF 90.3 is where I discovered The Smiths in 1984 ( I was in middle school) with Rubber Ring, but alas the reception is so poor I can't hear that station in my neighborhood. Thank God for the internet, and Youtube!

now i know, thanks...

My favorite terrestrial station, WXRT in Chicago, plays the Smiths or Moz at least once a day (more in the overnight hours), and Fred on XM 44 plays one or the other at least hourly. I'm happy.

I listen to the radio everyday (mainly JJJ), the other day, I put the kids in the car, turned on the ignition and let out a scream. My daughter said 'whats wrong mum, have we crashed?" No....I'd only heard the 'How Soon Is Now?' guitar....

Smiths/Moz not played on the radio over here very often

HaHa!! ........That is so cute!

I've also long given up on radio, but radio 2 do play him sometimes- I heard Youngest and YHKM when they were released last year, and I have heard HSIN? and Shakespeare's Sister on there late at night. Still not enough for my liking though!

Mark Radcliffe on R2 had his 'crucial three' once of all Smiths songs, think it was 'Frankly Mr. Shankly' 'Cemetry Gates' and 'Shakespeare's Sister'. He has been known to play The Smiths before aswell as me and Lilybett emailed in to request them and he said he'd played them the night before. Now he has a radio show with Stuart Maconie, which I have only listened to once but I'd be suprised if they didn't play him. I have heard The Smiths on X-fm Manchester before but usually just 'This Charming Man' and you have to listen through hours of Razorlight and The Killers to get one decent song, so I avoid like the plague. I'm definitely a Radio 2 girl.

I don't listen to the radio very often.........but I think I've never heard a Smiths/Morrissey song....on an Italian radio....:(

Yes, there's no music at all on the italian radio, but back in the day there were excellent shows like 'Stereodrome', 'Suoni e Ultrasuoni' & 'Planet Rock'...they were all on the national public radio and Morrissey was often played.
In 1986 listeners voted TQID Top album of the year.
I also remember that when I was in the army, RADIO DUE broadcasted his concert from the Wembley Arena, it was 1995...and I was guarding that night :mad:
Recently, I saw the single 'The First Of The Gang To Die' on RADIO UNO's playlist, maybe they played it a couple of times at 3 AM...
Italian radio sucks, but who cares about those corporate idiots in the internet era?

Back
Top Bottom