Iggy Pop speak about Morrissey via Simon Goddard blog

The Seeker of Good Songs

Pop The Apostle

“So much of that which has earned duckets in the rock industry of the late 80s plods. The Smiths did not plod!”
So said Iggy Pop when I interviewed him a few weeks ago. After a cheerful chat about everything from vacuum cleaners to skiing I pressed his thoughts on those brightest of northern lights. Iggy & The Stooges’ 1973 album Raw Power was a major influence on The Smiths; specifically Johnny’s riffs for Hand In Glove (via Gimme Danger) and Never Had No One Ever (via I Need Somebody) while last year Morrissey also chose Your Pretty Face Is Going To Hell among his Desert Island Discs.

I wondered if the respect was mutual, and it is. Iggy saw The Smiths play the London Palladium on 26 October 1986.
“A beautiful old theatre with boxes,” Iggy recalled. “It was wonderful. One of those 10 or 12 music shows that I’ve seen in my life that can fulfil the idea of how great it can be.” He added that he “really admired the whole group”, praising Morrissey’s lyrics, Marr’s “incredible use of melody” and deeming Rourke and Joyce “a nice, natural swinging rhythm section.”

It’s not the first time Iggy’s spoken admiringly about Morrissey but it was nonetheless heart-warming to hear from the horse’s mouth (or rather Horse Dick’s mouth) that Pop, too, is an official apostle. According to Iggy, a few years ago Morrissey gave him a birthday present (very possibly the same occasion they were photographed together backstage at a Los Angeles Stooges show in April 2007). It was a DVD which, nearly three years later, Iggy still hasn’t gotten round to watching. “I’m going to watch it this year instead,” he promises (Iggy turns 63 on April 21). And before you ask, no, sadly Iggy couldn’t remember off the top of his head what the film was, only that “it’s still in the shrinkwrap.”

So that was Iggy, every inch as magnificent as I’d hoped. For those interested, the main interview (minus any Smiths chat, which is why I’ve posted it here) is in the next issue of Q.

Until next time, good vibes to all….

from: http://simongoddardwords.blogspot.com/2010/03/pop-apostle.html

"One of those 10 or 12 music shows that I’ve seen in my life that can fulfil the idea of how great it can be."

Wow. WOW. That's gotta feel good.

Seems like a lovely man. I'd just wish he'd keep his shirt on.

Seems like a lovely man. I'd just wish he'd keep his shirt on.

I was just telling a friend about how Iggy reminds me of the 2 year old who strips off his diaper and runs around the house like a naked little terror, and you're trying to maintain the *stern mom face* but inside you're secretly cheering him on and laughing like a madwoman. Iggy will always have that 2-year-old Punk friskiness. And he's surprisingly deep and philosophical. He's the real deal, genuinely cool - despite car ads, etc. - so he can get away with all that. And he clearly has great taste in music :thumb:

Here's a sweet letter he wrote to a fan in the 90s, courtesy of Letters of Note

It took nine months for Iggy Pop to reply to then-21-year-old Laurence's fan letter, but really the timing couldn't have been more perfect as on the morning his thoughtful note did arrive at her home in Paris, Laurence's family were being evicted by bailiffs. Laurence recalls that moment back in 1995:

By the time I finished I was in tears. Not only had Iggy Pop received the letter I had sent him nine months before, and I could have missed his if he'd sent it a day later, but he had read the whole 'f***ing' 20 pages, including the bit about my Adidas dress (a semi-innocent allusion on my part), and all the rest, my description of being the child of an acrimonious divorce with the string of social workers, lawyers, greedy estate agents and bailiffs at the door, the fear, the anger, the frustration, the love.​

Although understandably brief, Iggy's empathetic, handwritten letter addressed Laurence's problems with both grace and eloquence, and really can't be praised enough.

Transcript follows. Many thanks to Laurence.

4276467098_e3e5a8b317_o.png

4275722189_6f57d397d8_o.png

Transcript

dear laurence,

thankyou for your gorgeous and charming letter, you brighten up my dim life. i read the whole f***ing thing, dear. of course, i'd love to see you in your black dress and your white socks too. but most of all i want to see you take a deep breath and do whatever you must to survive and find something to be that you can love. you're obviously a bright f***ing chick, w/ a big heart too and i want to wish you a (belated) HAPPY HAPPY 21st b'day and happy spirit. i was very miserable and fighting hard on my 21st b'day, too. people booed me on the stage, and i was staying in someone else's house and i was scared. it's been a long road since then, but pressure never ends in this life. 'perforation problems' by the way means to me also the holes that will always exist in any story we try to make of our lives. so hang on, my love, and grow big and strong and take your hits and keep going.

all my love to a really beautiful girl. that's you laurence.

iggy pop

Transcript

dear laurence,

thankyou for your gorgeous and charming letter, you brighten up my dim life. i read the whole f***ing thing, dear. of course, i'd love to see you in your black dress and your white socks too. but most of all i want to see you take a deep breath and do whatever you must to survive and find something to be that you can love. you're obviously a bright f***ing chick, w/ a big heart too and i want to wish you a (belated) HAPPY HAPPY 21st b'day and happy spirit. i was very miserable and fighting hard on my 21st b'day, too. people booed me on the stage, and i was staying in someone else's house and i was scared. it's been a long road since then, but pressure never ends in this life. 'perforation problems' by the way means to me also the holes that will always exist in any story we try to make of our lives. so hang on, my love, and grow big and strong and take your hits and keep going.

all my love to a really beautiful girl. that's you laurence.

iggy pop

Gawd, how sweet is Iggy Pop!:flowers::love: That's just lovely and full of support and oozing love and hope - chin up Laurence!:thumb:

Iggy is now forgiven for flashing the flesh :eek: and scaring me half to death as a youngster at his concerts! :lbf:

Je Suis Julie - i'd never seen that before, thanks for sharing it with us.:thumb:
x

i like iggy pop whenever he's acting, even when he's playing himself. his scene opposite tom waits in coffee and cigarettes is so pricelessly awkward and hilarious. on a side note, this letters blog is great!

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/music/article7066079.ece

From The Sunday Times
March 21, 2010

Iggy and the Stooges return to London
Iggy Pop and fellow bandmate James Williamson are set to perform their Raw Power album, 38 years after it was created

"Punk, metal, thrash: call it what you will, its relentless, churning sound set the template for much that would follow, and everyone from Kurt Cobain to Jack White, Madonna to Morrissey, has since championed it."

If I was gonna be in London in May you can bet yer bottom dollar that I'd be there to see these shows. *sigh* If you WILL be in London and choose not to go, then shame shame shame is the name :p

:eek: Wow. What a star. :)

How many singers are elegant enough to do that?
How many singers are elephant enough to not do that? :rolleyes:

Now I've never been surer, that's one element to tell a real star from a total joke :thumb: :lbf:

By the way Simon Goddard if you peruse this website.... When I'm sitting on my toilet dropping my kids off at the pool.... Your summation of Shakespeare's Sister being one of the 10 greatest songs in the history of rock n roll:thumb::thumb::thumb:

And don't get me started on "I'm Not From Bury"

Back
Top Bottom