Simon Goddard interviews Bryan Ferry - inserts Moz/Marr questions

Dave, my comment was squarely aimed at a direct few whom recently seem to have now left the building. That was in the part you didn't include in your quote.

I can understand if people felt that her music was not for them. However, I introduced her name into my argument for the sake of building a picture of how young women are seen by these certain harrigans.

When the photo of Kristeen atop Morrissey's shoulders was released comments such as "That photo makes me sick." and personal attacks stating that Kristeen is mentally unstable was forthcoming. Seen in conjunction with comments such as 'Cat Deeley should be shot in the head', makes for an ugly reaction based, in my opinion, on jealousy.

My post was sparked because this thread isn't even about Lady Gaga however, it seemed the 11 page thread was not enough to show their distaste. A little dig had to be had here as well.

Alright, I understand what you mean.

You are free to resent the jealousy remark. You can think that is it dumb. I stand by it. The fact remains that any cute, young woman who has any association with Morrissey is vilified on this site.

Lady Gaga - There is an 11 page thread about her worth. I would hazard a guess and say at least 7 of those pages are painting her in just a little better light than Pol Pot.

Kristeen Young - Do we need to rehash this? The consensus from the peanut gallery is that is she is some sort of harpy. It was a sustained attack that went further than “I don’t particularly care for her music”.

Cat Deeley – One poster said she should be shot in the head. Why? Well, she stood next to Morrissey when he appeared on a show she was presenting.

But do we hear similar of the men? No. Russell Brand is lovely and Jonathan Ross hardly gets a mention. Henry Winkler? Oh wasn’t it funny when they spoke about mashed potatoes. Sarah is greeted with a few hmphs here and there but why be jealous of a woman who looks like a French Mastiff eating a sponge?

This goes beyond criticism or dislike. A young woman in the public eye is in close proximity to Morrissey and this site’s gorgon collective rain down to dismember her and feed on her carcass. It is ugly. And if you wouldn't want to trade lives with these people but see the necessity for such a vitriolic response then that's worse. That's just bitterness at the success of others.

I know what you mean, yes. Sometimes is jealousy, but sometimes it's not, and the "jealousy" remark diminishes opinions when it's not applicable, see what I mean?
Anyway, vitriolic response? Surely you're not talking about me...? :confused:

You are free to resent the jealousy remark. You can think that is it dumb. I stand by it. The fact remains that any cute, young woman who has any association with Morrissey is vilified on this site.

Lady Gaga - There is an 11 page thread about her worth. I would hazard a guess and say at least 7 of those pages are painting her in just a little better light than Pol Pot.

Kristeen Young - Do we need to rehash this? The consensus from the peanut gallery is that is she is some sort of harpy. It was a sustained attack that went further than “I don’t particularly care for her music”.

Cat Deeley – One poster said she should be shot in the head. Why? Well, she stood next to Morrissey when he appeared on a show she was presenting.

But do we hear similar of the men? No. Russell Brand is lovely and Jonathan Ross hardly gets a mention. Henry Winkler? Oh wasn’t it funny when they spoke about mashed potatoes. Sarah is greeted with a few hmphs here and there but why be jealous of a woman who looks like a French Mastiff eating a sponge?

This goes beyond criticism or dislike. A young woman in the public eye is in close proximity to Morrissey and this site’s gorgon collective rain down to dismember her and feed on her carcass. It is ugly. And if you wouldn't want to trade lives with these people but see the necessity for such a vitriolic response then that's worse. That's just bitterness at the success of others.

I agree, there are some bitter twits on here. The worst thing is they claim they understand Morrissey then slag everyone including the man himself.
It usually comes down to them not really understanding Morrissey in the first place.

To be honest I am not a fan of GaGa's music as such but I think she is talented and she is best main steam pop star for years.
She may not be everyones cup of larger but she know her craft.
She reminds me of Jobriath some what. As I have said before I would rather see Morrissey with her than with some indie no hoper who's only talent is copying Morrissey and The Smiths.

A lot of Indie bands are just one step up from pathetic Smiths indeed tribute bands

Lady Gaga is shite.
Jonathan Ross is a c***.

I'm not jealous of either of them, I just do not like them. Nothing to do with bitterness...just personal taste.

I would say you have no personal taste which why you sound so wretched.
I am amazed when people like you become Morrissey fans, you are so far from
the Morrissey spirt of things.
A person doesn't have to be like the ones they love but it would help to have something in common.
You sound like you truly hate yourself, I will say that much and nothing more.

Anyway, vitriolic response? Surely you're not talking about me...? :confused:

I don't know, am I? Do you think that the general tone of Lady Gaga thread was an appropriate reaction to a single photo?

I agree, there are some bitter twits on here. The worst thing is they claim they understand Morrissey then slag everyone including the man himself.
It usually comes down to them not really understanding Morrissey in the first place.

See, I have problem with the whole "you-don't-know-Morrissey-the-way-I-know-Morrissey" argument. Unless you have his phone number/personal email address/have attended a family bbq, you don't Morrissey either and it's all just supposition. I don't care how many times someone has met him in a parking lot or as he was crossing the road, it's delusionary to believe that you have an insight into his character. It's then wrong to try and claim superiority on another fan, when frankly, we are all sitting in the same swamp water.

To be honest I am not a fan of GaGa's music as such but I think she is talented and she is best main steam pop star for years.
She may not be everyones cup of larger but she know her craft.
She reminds me of Jobriath some what. As I have said before I would rather see Morrissey with her than with some indie no hoper who's only talent is copying Morrissey and The Smiths.

I like your Jobriath comparison. She certainly makes the music world a little less flat. As a personal disclaimer; I don't like her music either.

I don't know, am I? Do you think that the general tone of Lady Gaga thread was an appropriate reaction to a single photo?

See, I have problem with the whole "you-don't-know-Morrissey-the-way-I-know-Morrissey" argument. Unless you have his phone number/personal email address/have attended a family bbq, you don't Morrissey either and it's all just supposition. I don't care how many times someone has met him in a parking lot or as he was crossing the road, it's delusionary to believe that you have an insight into his character. It's then wrong to try and claim superiority on another fan, when frankly, we are all sitting in the same swamp water.

I like your Jobriath comparison. She certainly makes the music world a little less flat. As a personal disclaimer; I don't like her music either.

This is very interesting. I do agree with it being somewhat delusional when one talks of knowing Morrissey's character owing to the fact that they know every last detaill of his career and public 'life'

I never said "you-don't-know-Morrissey-the-way-I-know-Morrissey" or anything of the sort.
What I was trying but failed to make clear is it's some people on here (the twits) who claim they know him, when they don't. My point is they don't understand him and then when he does something contrary to their idea of him they get angry
You can understand someone you have never meet but followed, of course you can- Morrissey is not hard to understand, if your from a certain upbringing etc.
Morrissey has been in the public eye for 26 years, he didn't just appear yesterday.
Of course a person may not know what he does with his day or what is health is like or who he hangs around with etc but you can tell what he is like as a person, pretty much. Just takes some insight and (and again) understanding.

You can be some ones best mate and not understand them and you can meet someone for five minutes and instantly understand them.
Yes Moz is a bit of a blagger but he is pretty much an open book if you read between the lines.

Plus, if you understand his art then you pretty much understand him for he pretty much pours himself into it or at least did.

People are like art you either get it or you don't.

I don't know how you spend yours days but have never been to a swamp in my life.
You must have smelly shoes

I never said "you-don't-know-Morrissey-the-way-I-know-Morrissey" or anything of the sort.

Sorry, that wasn't a comment on your belief but rather a response to your post.

What I was trying but failed to make clear is it's some people on here (the twits) who claim they know him, when they don't. My point is they don't understand him and then when he does something contrary to their idea of him they get angry
You can understand someone you have never meet but followed, of course you can- Morrissey is not hard to understand, if your from a certain upbringing etc.
Morrissey has been in the public eye for 26 years, he didn't just appear yesterday.
Of course a person may not know what he does with his day or what is health is like or who he hangs around with etc but you can tell what he is like as a person, pretty much. Just takes some insight and (and again) understanding.

You can be some ones best mate and not understand them and you can meet someone for five minutes and instantly understand them.
Yes Moz is a bit of a blagger but he is pretty much an open book if you read between the lines.

Plus, if you understand his art then you pretty much understand him for he pretty much pours himself into it or at least did.

People are like art you either get it or you don't.

I remain unconvinced. You are sure of your point of view regarding his personality because it's made in a vacuum. You don't know the personal details of his life or how he really feels about things to contradict your belief so you assume it is true.

I don't know how you spend yours days but have never been to a swamp in my life.
You must have smelly shoes

Honey, that's worse. You are smack bang in the middle and you don't even know it. :)

This is very interesting. I do agree with it being somewhat delusional when one talks of knowing Morrissey's character owing to the fact that they know every last detaill of his career and public 'life'

I wasn't talking about "knowing every detail" although that is part of the game.
"Details", as you mean them, in a Mozpidia, kind of way are just trivia.
They mean nothing, I am talking about spiritual understanding, some people understand the artist they follow more than others- that is all I am saying.
Not everyone is in the same swamp or gutter etc.
Some people have more in common with the artists they follow and understand them more that is just fact. Just like some people may understand a work of art or what it is about more than another or some might have more in common with their school teacher than another person.
Noone was saying they know him or I wasn't. People try and make Moz out to be some riddle and he isn't.
The trouble is people get wrong footed by a pop persons myth etc

Last edited:
Well, considering how dreadful the New York Dolls are, that's definitely a good argument :p

This. This this this this this.

Morrissey, IMO, has a taste in music that fluctuates between decent (Smoking Popes, Gene) to downright awful (Sack, NYD, all those sixties pop songs). I get the impression if Morrissey made me a mix tape, I would probably record the pools results over it.

Sorry, that wasn't a comment on your belief but rather a response to your post.

I remain unconvinced. You are sure of your point of view regarding his personality because it's made in a vacuum. You don't know the personal details of his life or how he really feels about things to contradict your belief so you assume it is true.

Honey, that's worse. You are smack bang in the middle and you don't even know it. :)

How do you know what I know of him?

I am not getting in to what I know, as I say he didn't arrive from outer space he is just human like you and I or at least I.
Morrissey is a keen wrong footer to be sure but as I say if you have an understanding of an artist you do and thats that.
Nobody is pretending they are his best mate or that they know what he feels about Countdown.
All I am saying is people are more like minded than others or have better understanding of an artist than others.
There are people on here who don't even know when he is joking (I expect you are one of them)

There are plenty of people who have been fans and then friends with Bowie and Weller for example and some say they are not what they expected and some say they are just as I expected- which paints my point loud and clear some people get it and some don't.
In fact, Morrissey made a like minded point about people some years back.
Of course " How can anyone possibly know How I feel", holds some water in some ways but in other ways it doesn't.
The question could be "There are millions who must know how I feel?".
And to greater and lesser extent they do.
Morrisseys song title is very teenage in some ways

Last edited:
They mean nothing, I am talking about spiritual understanding, some people understand the artist they follow more than others- that is all I am saying.

Sigh. Spiritual understanding. Wait, wait, wait and lemme guess, Morrissey is just like you. I think should should meet the twit-like kettles out there.

This. This this this this this.

Morrissey, IMO, has a taste in music that fluctuates between decent (Smoking Popes, Gene) to downright awful (Sack, NYD, all those sixties pop songs). I get the impression if Morrissey made me a mix tape, I would probably record the pools results over it.

Gene and Smoking Popes Grow up!

Sigh. Spiritual understanding. Wait, wait, wait and lemme guess, Morrissey is just like you. I think should should meet the twit-like kettles out there.

I used that word to get just that response. You are a very 2 + 2 thinker.
No wonder you watch charlie Brooker.

Do you not think poems, music and film have anything to do with touching the spirit?

Are you an existentialist or just plain?

Last edited:
I would say you have no personal taste which why you sound so wretched.
I am amazed when people like you become Morrissey fans, you are so far from
the Morrissey spirt of things.
A person doesn't have to be like the ones they love but it would help to have something in common.
You sound like you truly hate yourself, I will say that much and nothing more.

Why does hate equate with self hate?

Back
Top Bottom