Is Coronavirus as serious as they say?

My wife’s aunt who is sixty and her grandmother who is ninety both have tested positive. Both have underlying conditions. One is diabetic and one has a heart condition. Both have a mild version though with just a fever and body aches. On day nine and six respectively and getting better I think. I expect both to come
Out the other side but it’s worrying

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...ng-animals-and-the-worlds-health-is-now-clear

A Guardian columnist today basically saying that we need to stop eating animals in order to save ourselves.

Includes the phrase "China is a viral petri dish" - god forbid the Guardian's musical nemesis should ever utter such a thing!

Love that article. It's in The Observer, which still manages to be readable. They share a website, so the branding is confused.

But, yeah. Poor Moz would get another kicking for that.

Will the Las Vegas residency still go on? Thank you for any information.

Will the Las Vegas residency still go on? Thank you for any information.
Keep checking here or their Twitter:

Last I saw, there were a few end of April events that had been cancelled - no mention of later than that.
Regards,
FWD.

How serious is the virus?? It’s really hard to know as some countries count a death as Covid even if you have terminal cancer and are going to die in 6 months.

On the other hand China have clearly underreported their numbers.

Perhaps NZ as a small country can give the clearest indication. We have had enough cases to have a whole cross section of the community affected but not enough numbers that our reporting and tracking hasn’t become overwhelmed and unreliable.

So far we have had 1490 of cases, 16 deaths and over 900 now recovered. Of the 16 deaths, 9 of them came from the same rest home and all of those were in their 80s and 90s with underlying health issues. I believe 6 of the 7 other deaths were als from rest homes and apart from one person in their 60s the rest were 70+.

Obviously the transmutable nature of this thing makes it dangerous, but how deadly is it really?

We aren't used to being given an update on the amount of people who die each day in our country. Death's not something that's usually top of our agenda. People are dying all the time and we are oblivious to it. Covid was the contributing factor to 1 in 5 of deaths the last I heard, which is concerning. I'm hearing now though, that vital cancer treatment is being put on hold to accommodate the current crisis.

Thats why NZ is quite a useful Petrie dish when it comes to stats. We are small enough to keep accurate data yet our sampling is large enough to be significant. And let me tell you something else interesting, in every single case they had underlying issues and in 90% of cases serious issues. The sort of issues where a serious bout of the flu could’ve done them in.

So far no-one under 60 (and only 1 under 70) and no one who didn’t already have a serious health issue. Now is that to say it can’t kill someone in their 30’s who is perfectly healthy? Of course it can, but statistically that seems to be an almost insignificant percentage of the population.

Let’s say out of the 1400 cases we’ve had, 1000 of them are under 60. So far we’ve had zero deaths out of portion of the population.

An interesting thing I learnt yesterday.
Having heard that 100 or so NHS workers had died from COVID (and presumably thousands more had caught it), I'd jumped to the conclusion that the virus is everywhere and out of control in hospitals across the land.
But it was explained that there are 1.5 million people who work for the NHS, and you simply would expect that many people (as a sample of the population) to have died from the virus anyway - they may have caught it anywhere (on a bus, from a friend/housemate etc.). Of course, some may well have caught it from treating patients, but this does cast a rather different light on the subject.

An interesting thing I learnt yesterday.
Having heard that 100 or so NHS workers had died from COVID (and presumably thousands more had caught it), I'd jumped to the conclusion that the virus is everywhere and out of control in hospitals across the land.
But it was explained that there are 1.5 million people who work for the NHS, and you simply would expect that many people (as a sample of the population) to have died from the virus anyway - they may have caught it anywhere (on a bus, from a friend/housemate etc.). Of course, some may well have caught it from treating patients, but this does cast a rather different light on the subject.
Yes reporting and hysteria are intermingled right now, right from how did it start, through to who did what to stop it. The MSM is suddenly relevant again and running with every angle it can. It’s all very confusing. At the end of the day all you can really look at is the data and even that feels compromised, especially in big countries where the numbers are so large.

yeah it's really, really serious.

what is the next question??

Thats why NZ is quite a useful Petrie dish when it comes to stats. We are small enough to keep accurate data yet our sampling is large enough to be significant. And let me tell you something else interesting, in every single case they had underlying issues and in 90% of cases serious issues. The sort of issues where a serious bout of the flu could’ve done them in.

So far no-one under 60 (and only 1 under 70) and no one who didn’t already have a serious health issue. Now is that to say it can’t kill someone in their 30’s who is perfectly healthy? Of course it can, but statistically that seems to be an almost insignificant percentage of the population.

Let’s say out of the 1400 cases we’ve had, 1000 of them are under 60. So far we’ve had zero deaths out of portion of the population.

Interesting points, and there were more interesting points raised by eminent scientists on a programme last night on Channel 4, hosted by Krishnan Guru-Murthy.

In summary, ignoring age and any underlying conditions for the minute, not everyone will get it: some won't get it or be bothered by it at all; some will carry it but not become infected, but could pass it on & infect others; some will get it & become infected & recover; some will get it & die.

Individual genetic make-up is relevant apparently along with individual immune systems, so scientist cannot say who will/will not be affected. Age & underlying conditions put you at a higher risk of catching & dying from it, regardless of genetic make-up, or immune system.

There's an additional study going on to determine why BAMEs are more likely to become infected that non-BAMEs, which I've alluded to before on here somewhere. Some possible linkages to lifestyle and over populated/large family housing situations.

Although the UK government is being guided by the scientists, ironically the scientists are basing their knowledge on, frankly, nothing apart from modelling in hindsight (past & current case levels & death totals), as it's all new and they don't have any evidence or data of anything, apart from what might be forthcoming from the likes of Italy/China etc.

There is no vaccine yet & the earliest it might be developed is September. That's just the vaccine development, nothing more. Then it would need to be tested, and further down the line mass produced. They anticipate a long wait with nothing forthcoming until sometime 2021.

We're in this for the long haul.

Thanks but I don't have a spare hour+ to spend on this stuff.
Thing is, we have to comply with whatever the gvmt plans are, so regardless of what is said by others (however eminent they might be), & until the gvmt plans change, there's no point agonising over these things. It is what it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thing is, we have to comply with whatever the gvmt plans are, so regardless of what is said by others (however eminent they might be), & until the gvmt plans change, there's no point agonising over these things. It is what it is.

The citizenry surrendering their freedom like this is exactly the problem. At the height of the enlightenment, when people discovered the idea of human freedom, there was also disease. There were viruses that came along and killed people, there were pandemics etc, but society still believed that human beings had the right to speak, associate, trade. Part of the belief in freedom is the confidence that society has the intelligence to deal with things like viruses without disabling the whole idea of modernity. What governments the world over are doing right now is 11th and 12th century style stuff. It's depressing to see that society has forgotten the meaning of freedom.

The citizenry surrendering their freedom like this is exactly the problem. At the height of the enlightenment, when people discovered the idea of human freedom, there was also disease. There were viruses that came along and killed people, there were pandemics etc, but society still believed that human beings had the right to speak, associate, trade. Part of the belief in freedom is the confidence that society has the intelligence to deal with things like viruses without disabling the whole idea of modernity. What governments the world over are doing right now is 11th and 12th century style stuff. It's depressing to see that society has forgotten the meaning of freedom.

I'm not disputing what you're saying but I'm not some caped crusader about to embark on some freedom related mission either.
I guess you're taking whatever action you can to fight this, so would be interested to know what you're personally doing to stop it happening.
If anything.

I must say that, personally, the media and social bandwagonists have diluted the message for me. They make me feel more defiant. We're in the middle of it all now, but once the hysteria has calmed down and we can take a breath, my sitting on a bench will be long forgotten. I've stayed away from people and I don't want anyone to die. That's good enough for me. I can't remember the last time I actually spoke to anyone. I'll have to start singing to see whether my vocal cords still work!

So what are you doing which constitutes defiance?
There are people out in the real world who are very risk averse, & sensitive to anyone considered to be behaving improperly, or not in accordance with the 'rules', so maybe need to check your defiance before you either get a gob-full from Mrs. Soapbox who is observing social distancing etc., while you're choosing not to comply, or Mr. Soapbox who might be more likely to give you a right hook. There have been instances of such aggressive behaviour in Tesco's even...you might call it some form of citizen-rule. I guess you have a choice to make while you're being 'defiant'.

Some people say that it's not serious, however they're the same sort of idiots who get their information from facebook or rabbit-hole youtube conspiracy theorists. I side with science, personally.

Back
Top Bottom