Johnny Marr plays Smiths songs with orchestra in Manchester (December 7-8, 2023)

Surface posted the link in the original thread:

Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want

Also:

How Soon Is Now?

Panic

There Is A Light That Never Goes Out

EDIT 4:24PM PT
link posted by Mozzer1980:

Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me

Image from unknown Instagram source posted by Amy:

full

Related item:

Last edited:

This is about 6 months before Andy passed away and the public didn't know he was terminally ill. Johnny invited Andy to play at Madison Square Garden so he could have that experience of playing there. I think that was a very sweet gesture, don't you?

Yes, but guest spotting for a show versus creating new original works together in which Andy is financially compensated are totally different things. Honestly, it's kind ironic to think that Morrissey gave Andy more of a chance than Johnny did post Smiths.

Yes, but guest spotting for a show versus creating new original works together in which Andy is financially compensated are totally different things. Honestly, it's kind ironic to think that Morrissey gave Andy more of a chance than Johnny did post Smiths.

According to Andy, Morrissey didn’t pay him royalties due for his songwriting.

Johnny played on Andy’s last record with Blitz Vega.

Andy is a credited song writer on "Girl Least Likely To". To be financially compenstated, its on Andy to have his publishing in order to be paid out revenue from not only sales but also writer revenue.

Andy is a credited song writer on "Girl Least Likely To". To be financially compenstated, its on Andy to have his publishing in order to be paid out revenue from not only sales but also writer revenue.

Sounds to me like Morrissey took advantage of Andy.

Geez, can we please leave Andy out of the "who is the better person" discussion? From what we know they both were not that nice to him if you look at the royalty situation and lawsuit. But do we know them? Apparently Johnny and Andy reconciled a long while back, they spent time together, Christmas etc. They also go nearly a whole life back having met in young years. Whatever happened they got over it. Johnny showing his picture on a special night in their home town while he dedicates him the last song they played together live? How can you hate on that? It's really sweet actually. Seriously what's wrong with you making a piss contest out of that.

I think that is projection, from you and other fans - especially the ones who want it to be so. They're two men in their early sixties living their lives on their own terms and presenting material from their past through the prisms of their choice.
You may be right, I may be projecting something onto them, but I do feel a bitterness between the two and prehaps tension. Any competion I feel is very low-key and not obvious!

I don't see that at all, I think they're just getting on with what they enjoy doing. I go and see both and Morrissey in Manchester last year was fab and Johnny in Manchester last week was fab.
I feel there is an element of competiveness between them, but your right they are both getting on with their own music in a way that suits them, but I do feel like they are trying to prove that neither one needs the other, even just to prove to the music press!

That’s a matter of personal opinion, which is fine, but Moz obviously still is much bigger worldwide star than Johnny and always will be.
Moz is a better singer that Johnny Marr, Johnny Marr is a better song writer than Moz. Moz has wider critical aclaim because of his lyrics. Moz has had a much more interesting career and has more to say and express than Johnny Marr.

Geez, can we please leave Andy out of the "who is the better person" discussion? From what we know they both were not that nice to him if you look at the royalty situation and lawsuit. But do we know them? Apparently Johnny and Andy reconciled a long while back, they spent time together, Christmas etc. They also go nearly a whole life back having met in young years. Whatever happened they got over it. Johnny showing his picture on a special night in their home town while he dedicates him the last song they played together live? How can you hate on that? It's really sweet actually. Seriously what's wrong with you making a piss contest out of that.

I totally agree. How can someone be upset with a beautiful tribute to Andy?

Sounds to me like Morrissey took advantage of Andy.
and you clealy have no understanding of how publishing and song writing revenue works. Mick Jagger isn't out here cutting checks to keith richards and the like every time they write a song he sings. Don't be so daft.

I totally agree. How can someone be upset with a beautiful tribute to Andy?
Nobody is "upset" about a tribute to Andy, it just comes off as cheap and exploitive to some. Not all of us have this fuzzy warm ideal of Johnny Marr. I'm sure at many points in his life Andy would have much prefered a spot in one of his bands playing bass, making a living, than a posthumous fist in the air.

Seriously though, if I was Johnny Marr and had someone like Andy Rourke in my life, I wouldn't collaborate with any other bassist on earth. Thats the real travesty here.

Nobody is "upset" about a tribute to Andy, it just comes off as cheap and exploitive to some. Not all of us have this fuzzy warm ideal of Johnny Marr. I'm sure at many points in his life Andy would have much prefered a spot in one of his bands playing bass, making a living, than a posthumous fist in the air.

Seriously though, if I was Johnny Marr and had someone like Andy Rourke in my life, I wouldn't collaborate with any other bassist on earth. Thats the real travesty here.

You sound very upset about it. Just because it wasn’t Morrissey who was thoughtful enough to do a sweet tribute to Andy. Morrissey will put up any two-bit movie star of yore up on a screen but not Andy.

This has nothing to do with a "fuzzy warm ideal" of Johnny Marr. But Johnny Marr and Andy Rourke obviously were friends (again) by their own choices. So Johnny actually knew him well. If he wants to do a tribute like that it's certainly not "cheap" nor "exploitative". How are you "sure" Andy would have preferred that like if he was totally dependent on Johnny Marr's "helping hands"? That's absolutely disrespectful.

Andy mentioned both not getting royalty payments for his Morrissey songs, and how Johnny initially wanted him involved on his 'The Messenger' album here:

I wrote, “Yes, I'm Blind” and “The Girl Least Likely To.”

You get the writing credit on those?

Yeah. But I don’t get paid for it.

I guess a year ago they re-released those on...

On the Very, Very, Very, Very Best of Morrissey. “The Girl Least Likely To” is on that.

But why not argue with Morrissey about royalties? Is it just not worth it?

He’s impossible to get ahold of.

But lawyers do these things.

Lend me some money to get a lawyer. It’s Laurel and Hardy here: give it to him, to give to you, to give to him.

But you're still friends with Johnny Marr?

Yeah. Last time I was in Manchester, we went out for a curry with my dad, which was a bit bizarre. Because I live like two minutes away from the Indian restaurant, Johnny said he’d give me a ride home, and I said, “Oh, no, no.” And he said, “No, no I'll give you a ride.” And he drove round the block like ten times and played some of his new songs, and he wanted me to do some work with him on that, but obviously, our proximity is a bit difficult. https://www.thedailybeast.com/andy-rourke-tells-all

Back
Top Bottom