Liverpool - Empire Theatre (July 19, 2023) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

Irish Blood, English Heart / Suedehead / Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before / Speedway / Jim Jim Falls / I Wish You Lonely / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Girlfriend In A Coma / The Night Pop Dropped / Sure Enough, The Telephone Rings / Notre-Dame / How Soon Is Now? / Bonfire Of Teenagers / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want / The Loop / My Hurling Days Are Done / Jack The Ripper // Sweet And Tender Hooligan

Setlist courtesy of @Dusty Miller's Hornpipe

Last edited:
the set list is the same because Jesse isnt very good at guitar.
He doesn't have the guitar skills to learn the old classic stuff.
Good guitar skills are required in order to do Moz and Smiths songs justice.
Not that Jesse is a great guitarist but he has played many many different songs in the past other than what is in this set and I have seen many killer Moz shows in the past with him playing . One of the problems here is that previously he had either Alain or Boz to counter his style both who came from real bands and had their roots in rock n roll and both played with real soul and instinct but now there are two American session musicians handling the guitars so although it may sound okay something is missing . The truth also is Moz ain't bothered anymore . He doesn't want to spend the dough on full band rehearsals which is what would be needed if the set was to be radically different . It is easy for one or two new members to learn the current set in isolation if they know what they are doing but for a full new set that would mean full band rehearsals for at least a week or more which costs money in wages , transportation , rehearsal space etc etc . Rather just get the new hands to learn the set from live recordings . It is incredibly lazy to be going out playing 95 percent the same set for so long , the set list played in a slightly different order each night does not make a new set . Now I personally can't stand Metallica but I saw an interview recently where Lars said he makes a note of every set they play in each city and makes sure when they return to that city that they play songs they didn't last time . I also saw that on their current tour they are playing radically different sets each night , again I don't like the band at all but shows the different mentality . I realise a lot of bands play more or less the same set each night on a given tour but I don't know of many who play the same songs all the time on different tours . Look Moz is without doubt one of the greatest artists of our generation and no matter how pedestrian he seems to be becoming he will always retain some of the power he once held but anyone who thinks he is not just dialling it in at this point is deluded .

r
Let's review the setlist:
Irish Blood, English Heart=good song
Suedehead=great song. A classic
Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before=solid song by The Smiths
Speedway=great song. A classic
Jim Jim Falls=awful song. Horrible sonically and mean spirited lyrically
I Wish You Lonely=boring song. Uninspired
I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris=below average song. Not a lot of people like
Girlfriend In A Coma=great song by The Smiths. A classic
The Night Pop Dropped=one of his better new songs but not up to previous standards
Sure Enough, The Telephone Rings=subpar and simple song
Notre-Dame=awful new song
How Soon Is Now?=stone cold classic song by The Smiths but played out by now
Bonfire Of Teenagers=dreadful song and quite possibly a career killer
Everyday Is Like Sunday=great song. A classic
Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I want=Undeniable classic song by The Smiths
The Loop=a reminder of the good old days. Outstanding early solo song
My Hurling Days Are Done=another late career dud
Jack The Ripper=great song. A classic
Sweet And Tender Hooligan=another outstanding song by The Smiths
ray ban what you are really saying that anything in the last ten years is mince apart from pop dropped,nothing wrong with that as its your opinion.
6 duffers out of 19 songs isnt a bad return.

Couple too many new songs for me in the setlist.

It’s not a bad one but not his finest. At least he isn’t singing other people’s songs on this tour. That really used to annoy me. I don’t want to listen to him singing an Elvis song.

I always think it could be a little longer though. £90 a ticket for an hour and 15 mins is pretty steep.

Not that Jesse is a great guitarist but he has played many many different songs in the past other than what is in this set and I have seen many killer Moz shows in the past with him playing . One of the problems here is that previously he had either Alain or Boz to counter his style both who came from real bands and had their roots in rock n roll and both played with real soul and instinct but now there are two American session musicians handling the guitars so although it may sound okay something is missing . The truth also is Moz ain't bothered anymore . He doesn't want to spend the dough on full band rehearsals which is what would be needed if the set was to be radically different . It is easy for one or two new members to learn the current set in isolation if they know what they are doing but for a full new set that would mean full band rehearsals for at least a week or more which costs money in wages , transportation , rehearsal space etc etc . Rather just get the new hands to learn the set from live recordings . It is incredibly lazy to be going out playing 95 percent the same set for so long , the set list played in a slightly different order each night does not make a new set . Now I personally can't stand Metallica but I saw an interview recently where Lars said he makes a note of every set they play in each city and makes sure when they return to that city that they play songs they didn't last time . I also saw that on their current tour they are playing radically different sets each night , again I don't like the band at all but shows the different mentality . I realise a lot of bands play more or less the same set each night on a given tour but I don't know of many who play the same songs all the time on different tours . Look Moz is without doubt one of the greatest artists of our generation and no matter how pedestrian he seems to be becoming he will always retain some of the power he once held but anyone who thinks he is not just dialling it in at this point is deluded .
not a fan of metallicas music but their concerts are spectactular.

r

ray ban what you are really saying that anything in the last ten years is mince apart from pop dropped,nothing wrong with that as its your opinion.
6 duffers out of 19 songs isnt a bad return.
I have 7 duffers. With his catalog, you should never subject paying customers to 7 crappy songs. Just my opinion.

ray
I have 7 duffers. With his catalog, you should never subject paying customers to 7 crappy songs. Just my opinion.
whats a duffer between friends.

Yes, he was amazing. Quite the show. From start to finish. Brilliant. My mum was dancing like a lunatic - making memories.

There was quite a bit of trouble down the front, though. You haven't got to be meek if you're down there. Give as good as you get.

The private lounge was a nice touch with champagne, too.

Some of the folks sitting in the front row were sitting in other people's seats and looked rough as f***. They were chancers not regulars, though.

Did see a number of the entitled twats, but that was inevitable, unfortunately.

The announcement about filming and photography being strictly prohibited was followed by the over zealous security trying to remove people's devices. Idiots. Luckily, M is pretty perceptive and spoke up. Same when the security team decided it was a great idea to stand in front of the stage, obscuring the view. They were soon told where to go.
Lads from Liverpool are going to behave like lads from Liverpool, security clearance or no security clearance..
I didn’t even bother to get the seat I’d booked, was more than happy on the back level with about 50 other punters. The venue must have over sold tickets by showtime because I couldn’t see one empty seat from my vantage point?
The free champagne was probably to make sure Peter Hogg & Pete Wylie showed up for two nights on the trot?
A free ticket alone won’t get the Mersey Mafia off Lark Lane..
😂😂😂

Lads from Liverpool are going to behave like lads from Liverpool, security clearance or no security clearance..
I didn’t even bother to get the seat I’d booked, was more than happy on the back level with about 50 other punters. The venue must have over sold tickets by showtime because I couldn’t see one empty seat from my vantage point?
The free champagne was probably to make sure Peter Hogg & Pete Wylie showed up for two nights on the trot?
A free ticket alone won’t get the Mersey Mafia off Lark Lane..
😂😂😂
I was in the box office at around 550/6 pm talking to the staff before heading to the lounge, and they were placing "Morrissey tonight - sold-out" signs around the desk. So I reckon it was. They had just sold the last of them from what I overheard.

Oh, the champagne wasn't free; it came as a package if you bought front-row seats - private cloakroom & bathroom, lounge upstairs and crisps and ice cream, all of which I couldn't have cared less about.

I'm glad you had a great time where you were situated. I've never been front and centre before, but I can see I'm going to become addicted to it. It's a world away from sitting in the circle which we did on the first night; it's the only thing I've been to recently where I was completely lost in the moment for the duration, and I need more of that.

Simply otherworldly. One of the best gigs he's done in a while. Vocals great, very chatty and seemed like he was enjoying himself. Wish I was attending the rest of the UK dates but train strikes are a pain in the arse. Roll on next UK tour. Gotta do all the dates again; it's been a while. I guess 4 over the past month isn't bad, but I'm clearly greedy. 😆

Bonfire ( almost full song )

I was in the box office at around 550/6 pm talking to the staff before heading to the lounge, and they were placing "Morrissey tonight - sold-out" signs around the desk. So I reckon it was. They had just sold the last of them from what I overheard.

Oh, the champagne wasn't free; it came as a package if you bought front-row seats - private cloakroom & bathroom, lounge upstairs and crisps and ice cream, all of which I couldn't have cared less about.

I'm glad you had a great time where you were situated. I've never been front and centre before, but I can see I'm going to become addicted to it. It's a world away from sitting in the circle which we did on the first night; it's the only thing I've been to recently where I was completely lost in the moment for the duration, and I need more of that.

Simply otherworldly. One of the best gigs he's done in a while. Vocals great, very chatty and seemed like he was enjoying himself. Wish I was attending the rest of the UK dates but train strikes are a pain in the arse. Roll on next UK tour. Gotta do all the dates again; it's been a while. I guess 4 over the past month isn't bad, but I'm clearly greedy. 😆
are the train strikes not called off,been on the news all day.

are the train strikes not called off,been on the news all day.
They were still happening on Thursday when I came back from Liverpool. If I had been going to London I would've travelled there on Thursday from 'pool. I don't know why, but it feels like an eternity on a bus compared to the train.

I also haven't switched my television on for around 2 years, so I have no idea what's been cancelled or not, lol.

Yeah, it certainly is and that's what makes it odd and kinda lame for me. I feel bad for the manhandled fans, they are handled very roughly at times, which can be dangerous.
That's usually venue security though, right? Like with the girl who tried to climb the stage at one of the recent shows and ended up falling on her back...

They were still happening on Thursday when I came back from Liverpool. If I had been going to London I would've travelled there on Thursday from 'pool. I don't know why, but it feels like an eternity on a bus compared to the train.

I also haven't switched my television on for around 2 years, so I have no idea what's been cancelled or not, lol.
just checked the underground strikes been cancelled so anyone going to the london show should be fine.being on a bus feels like a straitjacket whereas the train is a bit better.

I spoke to a married couple from Manchester who were a bit disappointed (some may even say baffled) that he plays two shows in Liverpool, but no-one in Manchester.
Bah, he was there in October… What’s there to be baffled about?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom