Morrissey on Carson Daly - Your Reviews

Vauxhall95

I Know It's Over...
From reading the previous thread regarding Morrissey's appearance on Last Call With Carson Daly, the reviews all seem to relate to his physical appearance. He looked great.

But can someone explain to me why when Morrissey gets a crack at a national televised audience he performs a song no one can purchase, download, or call up their radio station to play? The last two opportunities (Letterman) and now this, Morrissey has played new, unreleased material. I find the idea confusing. Can someone explain this? Morrissey complains about not being embraced by the mainstream media, but when he is he doesn't take advantage of the opportunity. Is he auditioning again for a label? I thought that was put to bed.

A head scratcher in my opinion...

i'd say he's auditioning for labels, although i don't know what case he can make going on a show like Carson Daly's.

"here is my great new song....you can see it at 2am after the local TV channel re-runs their local news and shows an infomercial."

it kind of sends the wrong message and makes jimmy Kimmel appear to be A-list.

I think people are often confused by Morrissey not playing the game the way most artists do.

I thought the performance was brilliant myself. Very vital. He completely sold the song to me when I was undecided before. He has no records out at the moment so I don't think the point is to get some records sold.

As to what show he "chooses" to go on. I don't think he has as much choice as people think. It's probably the only invitation he's had. Just as I don't think he's got the pick of the venues either. He has to play live where people will have him. He is not a mainstream artist in the US the way he is in the UK.

Maybe he just thought it would be a good experience for him and the band. To keep them on their toes for when they do get invited to a decent show?

As to what show he "chooses" to go on. I don't think he has as much choice as people think. It's probably the only invitation he's had. Just as I don't think he's got the pick of the venues either. He has to play live where people will have him. He is not a mainstream artist in the US the way he is in the UK.

Maybe he just thought it would be a good experience for him and the band. To keep them on their toes for when they do get invited to a decent show?

Pfft! he went on the Letterman show a while back. Considering what bands most of those shows DO invite, i don't think he's slid so far as to play public access channels.

Pfft! he went on the Letterman show a while back. Considering what bands most of those shows DO invite, i don't think he's slid so far as to play public access channels.

That's the point really though isn't it? He will get an invite now and then, but they are not going to keep inviting him back time and time again. He is not that big a name.

It's not like the UK where Jonathon Ross would have him on whenever he wanted.

I like how he changed "council house" to "Welfare house" so it made more sense to the Americans :)

Regardless of how obscure the nighttime audience might be, perhaps it's still a way to promote the coming gigs. This leg of the tour is not over yet.

Being presented as one of the greatest influences and singing "All you need is me" is a feat in itself.

I noticed that too, same as with "all-night pharmacies".

hmm, "pharmacies" has got a different amount of syllables to "chemists" so that might have intefered with the rhythm a bit, but it's the thought that counts :D

"He has no records out at the moment so I don't think the point is to get some records sold."

ROTT is still his latest album. I get it that the album has been out awhile, but he does still receive royalities from every copy sold - additionally every album sold makes a new contract easier to get and more lucrative. Money aside, and I really don't think that is what Moz is about, I just think you have this national forum, play something that people can at least go out and buy and listen to. That, or stop complaining about not being appreciated by the mainstream media.

I really enjoyed "All You Need Is Me" when Moz played here in Phoenix. The song rocks live. I can see it as an album track, but not the other songs he has debuted. Just my opinion...

hmm, "pharmacies" has got a different amount of syllables to "chemists" so that might have intefered with the rhythm a bit, but it's the thought that counts :D

I heard it on a rec, it sounded awkward. The latest change is easier.

Vauxhall95> I don't think he has to think about selling more units.
Even if this appearance does not have a specific purpose, it's about staying in context.

Besides, I gather he is not satisfied with the offered contract and is looking for alternatives, otherwise why stretch the matter.

Back
Top Bottom