New York, NY - United Palace (Oct. 25, 2023) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful / Suedehead / Alma Matters / Our Frank / Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before / Sure Enough, The Telephone Rings / I Wish You Lonely / How Soon Is Now? / Girlfriend In A Coma / Irish Blood, English Heart / Darling, I Hug A Pillow / Let Me Kiss You / Half A Person / Speedway / The Loop / Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Jack The Ripper // Sweet And Tender Hooligan

Setlist courtesy of @FROSTY & @Amsden

• Photo sam_esty_rayner_photography / Instagram. Link posted by Famous when dead (original post).

23150-5bde81df2daf8c8f6d8eb5c63d4abd69.jpg

Last edited:
I saw this yesterday on facebook but as he looked one/all of exhausted, drunk or arthritic I decided to forget I'd seen it. Then I got distracted wondering if the apparent knee support "McDonna" has been wearing was a fashion item or a necessity.
Funny that you say that. Because on the recent footage of the New York show on the 25 or so (the one video of the whole show, that was entirely filmed from the side) I thought that too, that he has very clearly some knee problems, at times pausing holding them with a face consumed with pain and at one point stretching his legs to get going. That also explains the "drunk" way of walking on stage, because his knees are not alright and maybe the oversized pants shall cover any knee support he has. Knee problems are really bad but also very normal at his age.

Funny thing in the video above: He and Damon obviously wear partnerlook shoes: Moz in blue and Damon (in the cream white suit entering the car before him) has them in white 🤔😉

Funny that you say that. Because on the recent footage of the New York show on the 25 or so (the one video of the whole show, that was entirely filmed from the side) I thought that too, that he has very clearly some knee problems, at times pausing holding them with a face consumed with pain and at one point stretching his legs to get going. That also explains the "drunk" way of walking on stage, because his knees are not alright and maybe the oversized pants shall cover any knee support he has. Knee problems are really bad but also very normal at his age.

Funny thing in the video above: He and Damon obviously wear partnerlook shoes: Moz in blue and Damon (in the cream white suit entering the car before him) has them in white 🤔😉
Partnerlook = Double naff.

True, I suppose - this site makes me feel old sometimes! I wonder if the shoes are a public demonstration of commitment!

That also explains the "drunk" way of walking on stage, because his knees are not alright and maybe the oversized pants shall cover any knee support he has.
I mean - he may just be drunk? I've seen him do that 'stagger walk' for a long time - I always presumed it was affected, and just for show, but maybe not.

True, I suppose - this site makes me feel old sometimes! I wonder if the shoes are a public demonstration of commitment!
I don't know, it was just an observation. It could totally be that they just like the same kinda (ugly, sorry) shoes or recommended them to each other...but kinda funny/strange pairing the shoes with your assistant

I mean - he may just be drunk? I've seen him do that 'stagger walk' for a long time - I always presumed it was affected, and just for show, but maybe not.
He could be a lot of things, I don't know. I always thought, that it was affected for show reasons too, but on the the concert footage mentioned it totally looks like he has some knee problems, that's why I found it interesting that it got mentioned by someone else too...but again, just what it looked like there, could be a combination of things or something entirely different.

I was at the final show on Wednesday night. It was my first Morrissey show since 1994 and at the last minute, I decided to buy two 3rd row center orchestra seats and had a terrific time with an old friend. It was honestly the best I have ever seen him perform, having seen him several times in the 90's during the Kill Uncle and Your Arsenal tours. I was hesitant to commit because he had canceled the last tour I was supposed to attend - not once, but twice (Carnegie Hall), but was so happy that he didn't let us down and put on a great show. There are dozens of other Smiths songs I would have rather heard, however I was very grateful to hear any Smiths at all since the last times I had seen him, he was only doing his own material.

I did not experience any of the harsh treatment by security described above. However, I did witness a few "superfans" being spoken to about their behaviour at the previous night's show - their attempts to get onto the stage and have physical contact with the artist - and how they would press charges if they were disruptive again. The show went on with no issues and the fans were respectful, and as a result, I think Morrissey interacted with them more than usual to sort of meet in the middle.

All in all, it was a very nice evening, a beautiful venue, amazing seats to witness a wonderful performance from my teen idol, and "now my heart is full".

Nice smooth run of dates. Is it Capucine who's the saint in a stained glass window so? :church: :babyangel:

Nice smooth run of dates. Is it Capucine who's the saint in a stained glass window so? :church: :babyangel:
This one took me an age to track down. Maybe not the song's actual topic, but the stained glass backdrop was from:
FWD.

Some impressions from the historical "United Palace

Before Stop Me, 17:10 minutes in there, Morrissey makes the comment about some people thinking he's weird, which echoes some definitions of what queerness means. The more common definition of queer is still about not being sexually straight. It's just that in recent months I've found the word applied differently in or to several books, including Morrissey's own List of the Lost: Lars Iyer's sparkling doomer novel, My Weil: Complaint! by Sara Ahmed: Against Purity by Alexis Shotwell, and elsewhere.

The last paragraph of the explainer below gets at the broader idea. I like it.

https://www.jstor.org/stable/23924280

This one took me an age to track down. Maybe not the song's actual topic, but the stained glass backdrop was from:
FWD.
What I said were heavy words, lightly thrown.
The info about the saint pictured on stage is interesting though.
It is a little arresting to note that St. Eustache is the patron saints of hunters o_O

Back
Top Bottom