Morrissey Central "Rebels Without Applause" (November 25, 2022)

FRIDAY, 25 NOVEMBER, 2022 :
First 'single' release in exactly three years.

Morrissey's Rebels Without Applause is available today worldwide (including Britain) on Spotify, courtesy of Capitol Records. The track is produced by Andrew Watt.
This is Morrissey's first 'single' release since 'It's Over', taken from the 'California Son' album in November 2019. 'It's Over' peaked at number 1 in the UK vinyl chart.

Morrissey's next live appearance is on Monday, 28 November at The Anthem in Washington DC.

Just to help Central:
It's Over was released as an instant grat & pre-order bonus - February 25/26, 2019 (followed by Morning Starship - both getting airplay).
It's Over was then nightmarishly released as a physical 7" - (initially December 20, 2019) January 24, 2020.
The first actual "single" from California Son was Wedding Bell Blues 7" - May 10, 2019.
Regards,
FWD.

Media item:
Related items:

I find it genuinely funny that Morrissey can predict an album coming out next year but couldn't foresee a single release until after it came out :ROFLMAO:

Absolutely brilliant, I love this song and all the new songs he's been playing. It's going to be one of his best albums ever.

The release of this song is so bizarre. The YouTube version is different to the one on streaming platforms and Morrissey seems behind for once with the release. What happened to I am Veronica being the first single? It’s so confusing right now

It seems like debating with "Fiona dodwell" style fans is like bashing your head against a wall. Moz's whole life is in ruins because of people who are "nice".

You are spot on about this. It's futile because some people will clearly eat up any old crap that M puts out. Even when it's as bad, and sad, as this track.

This thing has been in the can for ages. It’s a decent song, which makes it even sadder that the production is so terrible. With such close proximity to RHCP (which is bizarre in itself), one wishes he would’ve hired Rick Rubin instead.

I agree. This producers handwork does absolutely nothing for M's voice at all. The more I listen the sadder I become. If the rest of the album is like this, which lets face it it probably is when it's the same producer, then I will be so disappointed.

This is the first time I’ve ever commented on anything within this forum/message board, and I didn’t think I’d ever post anything, because I really never felt moved to do so, however, with the release of the studio version of Rebels Without Applause, I felt compelled to come here, to open up and share this, my, absolute disdain of/for this track. It feels like it’s a joke, or, like something went wrong in the mixdown stage, or in the file transfer stage, and no one has noticed. I find myself hoping that it’s just a really bad f*** up within the management/higher-ups and it will soon be fixed. I know I sound like an overly dramatic twat, but this is all making me feel sick to my stomach. I’ve loved Morrissey for decades. His voice has matured beautifully over the years, and in many ways, gotten better. Also, I love the live version of this song, and I was pumped for the studio version. I mean, honestly, it’s the first Morrissey song that I cannot, and will not, listen to twice. Unless, that is, by some miracle, this all indeed turns out to be a goof, and it’s announced that all has been made right. I just cannot believe, refuse to believe, that Moz heard the finished product and was like, “Perfect!” “Nailed it!” I remember feeling strange when it first heard George Michael using heavy vocal efx. Obviously, George, like Moz, doesn’t need vocal “enhancing,” and although I wish neither artist used any at all, I ultimately came around to feel that George made use of it quite well. Anywhoo… I’ve rambled on long enough. Apologies for the rant. Goodnight.

I agree with everything you said. I feel the same. I also find it difficult to believe a perfectionist such as M listened to that "finished" track and thought it was perfectly acceptable to release it in the dire state it's in. It's a mess.

Scared for the rest of the album now. I just hope we haven't waited this long to receive an album of tracks that sound like RWA. It's doing him no favours at all.

You are spot on about this. It's futile because some people will clearly eat up any old crap that M puts out. Even when it's as bad, and sad, as this track.
Actually... Some people (The Solo mopers) will clearly complain and spew hate at whatever M puts out. Even when it's as good, and fresh, as this track.

Had to come to a morrissey fan message board to be convinced to not like morrissey's new single. He really is the pope of mope and the hardcore fans prove it 😂
Yeah, I don't get this group at all. It's all either infighting or picking apart every single thing the man does in his career. I wouldn't let it affect your opinion on anything though. I think it's more a function of their being "online people" than Moz fans. We met several fans just this past summer in Vegas, and "irl" they were all cool peope. These are web cretins. The single is fine. Yeah, bit of a weird choice with the vocal processing, but Moz doesn't shy away from production or trying to sound modern. He never has. We love him because the melodies and lyrics are consistently brilliant; the productions have always reflected their times. Pop music sounds like this now.

I agree. This producers handwork does absolutely nothing for M's voice at all. The more I listen the sadder I become. If the rest of the album is like this, which lets face it it probably is when it's the same producer, then I will be so disappointed.

Bonaparte Shandy (who does not care for the songs themselves) suggested that Bonfire of Teenagers would be better off shelved, and enjoy the mysterious aura of a "lost album" rather than see the light of day.

Liking the songs very much, I disagreed at the time. But given what the production of Rebels portends, I'm coming around.

I'm hoping if enough people complain then it will get back to team Morrissey and they can fix their mistake.

Imo there's no mistake at all!

Knowing Morrissey a little bit, my guess is that it's exactly what he meant for this track.

Some people will love it (as I do), and others will hate it. There's nothing to be done about it.

I like the song and theme of it. I enjoyed seeing it live. They have ruined it.
Well... Take a quick look at the positive reception it's getting elsewhere... All the negativity is here on Solo...

I genuinely love the track and the production... I think it sounds fresh...

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom