Simon Bird (Inbetweeners) 'can no longer listen to' Morrissey (January 27, 2023)

It's so odd, isn't it?

And yet this view is very prevalent. "I still listen to the Smiths, but never any of the solo stuff."

Which basically means: "I'll listen to songs that this now EVIL HUMAN BEING sung and co-wrote in the 80s but I won't listen to songs that this EVIL HUMAN BEING sung and co-wrote after that" - as if Morrissey turned evil during the summer of 1987.
It's because people love Johnny Marr and can tolerate Morrissey who hadn't yet gone full racist.

I guess we can't engage with any form of art that isn't new and relevant? Because the ACTUAL average person not so long ago had views that blow Morrissey out of the water by current standards. I know people who grew up in the 80s who still associate Morrissey with being insufferably LEFT wing. he was an edgy but progressive darling, until everyone around him changed. Anyway, are we to just toss away all of H.P. Lovecraft's works for example? Because the cognitive dissonance of engaging with art that happens to be made by an artist who is different to you is too much for you? Now that doesn't sound very diverse, or inclusive, or all that equal...

These snivelling, grovelling, spineless celebrity ghouls over and over demonstrate they have no care or respect for actual art, because they have no respect for themselves. They will slither into any crevice the Machine demands them to, to obtain any carrot that it cares to waft over their stinking husks.
God save Morrissey, he's the last of the famous international artists with integrity. I will always take blunt, unblemished honesty that I may have disagreement with over this hideously processed and snakish culture we find ourselves in today.

I guess we can't engage with any form of art that isn't new and relevant? Because the ACTUAL average person not so long ago had views that blow Morrissey out of the water by current standards. I know people who grew up in the 80s who still associate Morrissey with being insufferably LEFT wing. he was an edgy but progressive darling, until everyone around him changed. Anyway, are we to just toss away all of H.P. Lovecraft's works for example? Because the cognitive dissonance of engaging with art that happens to be made by an artist who is different to you is too much for you? Now that doesn't sound very diverse, or inclusive, or all that equal...

These snivelling, grovelling, spineless celebrity ghouls over and over demonstrate they have no care or respect for actual art, because they have no respect for themselves. They will slither into any crevice the Machine demands them to, to obtain any carrot that it cares to waft over their stinking husks.
God save Morrissey, he's the last of the famous international artists with integrity. I will always take blunt, unblemished honesty that I may have disagreement with over this hideously processed and snakish culture we find ourselves in today.
Well said

well said goth,i like my heroes to be anything but holier than thou.
as for simon birds friday night dinner,one of the worst so-called comedies iv seen,absolute mince.

I refuse to give up on The Inbetweeners and Friday Night Dinner, but the cognitive dissonance that’s required to watch Simon Bird is now too much. It’s a shame because i‘m now going to have to fast forward all the bits he’s in.

It's sad to say but no Inbetweeners song will ever get mentioned in a list like this.....
Not sure about this, Testicle on the Catwalk will live on in the memory.

I don’t see why the almost 30 years old Now My Heart is Full would be any harder to listen to listen to than a Smiths song but then again I’m not Simon Birch or whoever. 🤷‍♂️

I would like to hear their take on the hallowed Johnny Marr being eager to work with Morrissey again as recently as 2008.

I mean, if Morrissey is racist then why was Johnny (the epitome of cool and who can do no wrong) willing to work with him again 20+ years after The Smiths split?
In fairness, the worst of the Morrissey backlash came after 2008. Wasn't it around 2010 when he made the Chinese sub-species comment... and much later with the For Britain stuff? Not saying I agree with any of it just pointing out that in 2008 Morrissey's reputation was by and large much better.

Last edited:
In fairness, the worst of the Morrissey backlash came after 2008. Wasn't around it around 2010 when he made the Chinese sub-species comment... and much later with the For Britain stuff? Not saying I agree with any of it just pointing out that in 2008 Morrissey's reputation was by and large much better.
Yep, the For Britain nonsense was autumn 2017 to spring 2019.
And I think people read too much into the Chinese thing. It was in the context of their treatment of animals. It was clumsily phrased - should have used a term like inhumane. But many (obviously not all) Chinese people do indeed seem to tolerate an appalling level of barbarism towards animals.

I love The Inbetweeners. I love Morrissey.
Do I care what Simon Bird's views are? No, not at all. See how that works?
Exactly. People love overcomplicating everything. Moz records are great. The only thing that can ever impact that is the quality of your listening device or the clarity of your hearing. Or your broadband. Ok that's a few things.

I don’t see why the almost 30 years old Now My Heart is Full would be any harder to listen to listen to than a Smiths song but then again I’m not Simon Birch or whoever. 🤷‍♂️
Yeah, ridiculous but it's all in the marketing and presentation.
Now My Heart was presented as a 'Morrissey' song even though he neither wrote the music nor played any instruments. Smiths songs are marketed as Smiths songs, even though Morrissey's contribution was practically the same. If you hate Morrissey, it seems you can still love songs by the Smiths but not songs presented as being by 'Morrissey'.

It's too dangerous. One listen of 'Now My Heart is Full' could make you racist. :drama:

In fairness, the worst of the Morrissey backlash came after 2008. Wasn't around it around 2010 when he made the Chinese sub-species comment... and much later with the For Britain stuff? Not saying I agree with any of it just pointing out that in 2008 Morrissey's reputation was by and large much better.
Well he's kinda been proven correct on the Chinese being a sub species and then some. I'm referring to the Chinese government as was he back when he said it. Let's not pretend anymore huh? Calling them a sub species is light banter considering their evil doings.

That's because you're not a moron.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom