Strange/unexpected Moz references?

The Smiths song Johnny Marr called “‘Goldfinger’ on bad acid”

‘Death of a Disco Dancer’ arrived as a bleak elegy to those suffering during this time, wherein Morrissey substitutes the phrase “disco dancer” for “homosexual”. He sings: “The death of a disco dancer / Well, it happens a lot ’round here / And if you think peace / Is a common goal / That goes to show / How little you know.”

‘For instance, the track ‘Girlfriend in a Coma’ is thought by some to allude to the devastation of the AIDS crisis.‘

:confused:

This seemed like quite a measured fair piece to me despite a few hints of AI-speak:

Is Morrissey Gay

Conclusion: Is Morrissey Gay?​

The question “Is Morrissey gay?” doesn’t have a straightforward answer. Morrissey’s life and statements suggest a complexity and fluidity in his s*xuality that defies simple labels. His openness about relationships with both men and women, combined with his unique view on intimacy and human connections, makes him an intriguing figure in popular culture.

Morrissey’s life and career continue to fascinate and inspire, with his s*xuality being just one aspect of a multifaceted and enigmati personality. His impact on indie pop and rock, along with his cultural significance, remains undisputed.
Go again, KM :highfive:

One nominee for 2024 Lifetime Grammy Award has a Morrissey connection:
  • Peter Asher’s career began in 1964 as one-half of Peter & Gordon, whose “A World Without Love” topped the charts worldwide. Nine more Top 20 hits followed before Asher became head of A&R for the Beatles’ Apple Records in 1968, and discovered, produced and managed James Taylor; later adding Linda Ronstadt, Neil Diamond, 10,000 Maniacs, Cher, Diana Ross, Kenny Loggins, Bonnie Raitt, Robin Williams, Stevie Nicks, Lyle Lovett, Morrissey, Steve Martin & Edie Brickell, Ed Sheeran, and more to his roster. Asher won the Grammy for Producer Of The Year in both 1977 and 1989. He hosts a hit radio show “From Me To You” on Sirius XM and is much in demand not only in the studio but as a performer, speaker and author;
https://variety.com/2024/music/news/grammy-lifetime-achievement-2024-nwa-gladys-knight-1235862212/
&
https://deadline.com/2024/01/grammy-lifetime-achievement-awards-2024-1235695776/

Pitchfork has a piece on the 50 most anticipated albums of 2024, which has a tiny Moz mention here:

A$AP Rocky: Don’t Be Dumb

TBA
A$AP Rocky’s life has changed a lot since he released Testing in 2018: He’s had two children with his partner, Rihanna, and, more concerningly, he must stand trial for allegedly shooting his former friend Terell “A$AP Relli” Ephron in 2021. His next album is apparently called Don’t Be Dumb after once being referred to as All Smiles (and maybe having a Morrissey feature). Amid the changes, Rocky released two songs in 2023, “Same Problems?” and “Riot (Rowdy Pipe’n).” –Matthew Strauss

[It is, of course, entirely possible/probable that (a) the album won't come out in 2024 and (b) even if it does, there'll be no Morrissey on it.]

This could possibly be the daftest Morrissey-related YT link I have ever posted...

giphy.gif

The writer of this The Smiths profile calls it a deep dive but the great research supposedly done simply regurgitates hearsay strewn around, and also makes unwise direct accusations. Could have been something but ultimately a childish effort.

I don’t see what it has to do with Morrissey except the use of a photo of him. I stopped listening after one minute.
He did cover that song (I Never Promised You A Rose Garden) live a few times.

The 50 best songs from Manchester
4 Smiths, 1 Morrissey.

The best final albums of all time
The Smiths @ #12.

The 50 best songs from Manchester
4 Smiths, 1 Morrissey.

The best final albums of all time
The Smiths @ #12.
Jeez. It seems the crown/curse has now been lifted from The Smiths and passed on to Oasis.

I’m never really sure what constitutes a Manchester band anyway, The Monkees and The Cult each featured an actual Manc, but early line-ups of The Inspiral Carpets and The Charlatans had none. And if the early origins of the group counted as defining, then The Bee Gees would’ve surely been awarded forty of those fifty slots.

Tags
burlesque coronation street live morrissey new album poster sport strips the smiths
Back
Top Bottom