The "What Do You Suggest We Do in Ireland?" Thread

"Salad days" is an idiomatic expression, referring to a youthful time, accompanied by the inexperience, enthusiasm, idealism, innocence, or indiscretion that one associates with a young person. More modern use, especially in the United States, refers to a person's heyday when somebody was at the peak of their abilities—not necessarily when they were young.

The phrase was coined in Shakespeare's Antony and Cleopatra in 1606. In the speech at the end of Act One in which Cleopatra is regretting her youthful dalliances with Julius Caesar she says:

"...My salad days, / When I was green in judgment, cold in blood..."

The phrase only became popular from the middle of the nineteenth century on, coming to mean “a period of youthful inexperience or indiscretion." The metaphor comes from the Cleopatra's use of the word 'green'—a word which has a meaning indicating someone youthful, inexperienced, or immature.

The comedic group Monty Python made a skit entitled "Salad Days", in which a group of young adults from upper-class English society in the early 1900s have a picnic in a park which ends in everyone dying in bloody but ridiculous ways. Also, "Salad Days" is a 1983 song by hardcore punk band Minor Threat.

i would also think it be better not to tell the story of the bus conductor from slough, the KY jelly, rubber gloves and the 48 hours lost to her charms.

ah, now, i see. i understood the meaning but hadn't made the connection, before.

"minor threat" - ah, the good old days.

and for heaven's sake, surely you're meaning "bus conductress"! you're so 1985!

thats it robby we off to ireland!

i know!
but those tans came out of can
cuz i thouhgh irish girls looked like
maureenoharatribute.jpg

i know!
but those tans came out of can
cuz i thouhgh irish girls looked like
maureenoharatribute.jpg
i'm so with you on the red heads....maureen o'hara... you can be quite classy sometimes!

darling, do i detect a little jealousy? don't worry, she & i are in the past.

you're the one for me etc. ;) now, kiss me.

Of course I'll kiss you sweetheart (I know you love my jelous streak, makes you feel like a real man)

and for heaven's sake, surely you're meaning "bus conductress"! you're so 1985!

yes it's the mullet hair and big shoulders on my jacket!

Back
Top Bottom