UK Universities

Amy

from the Ice Age to the dole age
I'm confused entirely about them atm :( I think I've picked my 5 (York, Sheffield, Manchester, Leicester and Queens' Belfast), but I will probably chop and change a few before I apply.

Which Uni did you go to, and was it all that you had hoped?

Queens' Belfast

queens_university_belfast_imagelarge.jpg

wasn't always the most comfortable experience, but that was about 15 years ago (and it kinda depended what subjects you were studying). i'm sure it's a lot better now.

what do you want to study, amy?

I'm confused entirely about them atm :( I think I've picked my 5 (York, Sheffield, Manchester, Leicester and Queens' Belfast), but I will probably chop and change a few before I apply.

I went to Wimbledon School of Art and then London Met Uni. Wimbledon was good, mostly, only my tutor didn't like me at all and tried to fail me :tears: but it didn't work :) London Met was great though!

I don't know anything about British universities but I'd like to know what you're gonna study.

:)

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/

I'm off to Uni this year, I remember doing the whole UCAS thing, it was quite a bastard! It annoyed me that it charged £15 aswell :p But, persevere, don't rush into making your choices either! I picked 5 good universities; Manchester, Bristol amongst a few others. My sixth form gave me crap predictive grades (which I surpassed) but that meant I wasn't even considered by 3 of the universities! But, I got into the one I wanted thankfully :) It was the case last year, I think there is the option of making a sixth choice within like 14 days of making your final five, think that costs an extra fiver though! :mad: :p
You should go to as many open days as you can and make sure the Universities are catered towards what you want to do, check out the syllabuses and such ;)

Also, you might want to look at this University guide;

http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/tol_gug/gooduniversityguide.php

queens_university_belfast_imagelarge.jpg

wasn't always the most comfortable experience, but that was about 15 years ago (and it kinda depended what subjects you were studying). i'm sure it's a lot better now.

what do you want to study, amy?

English, and then afterwards Journalism. I asked my careers advisor about Queens and he said it's mostly unaffected by the prejudice/bigotry of the 'Troubles', but I don't think it's something you can really judge until you've spent some time there. Why was it uncomfortable for you? (You're from N. Ireland, yeah?)

I'm off to Uni this year, I remember doing the whole UCAS thing, it was quite a bastard! It annoyed me that it charged £15 aswell :p But, persevere, don't rush into making your choices either! I picked 5 good universities; Manchester, Bristol amongst a few others. My sixth form gave me crap predictive grades (which I surpassed) but that meant I wasn't even considered by 3 of the universities! But, I got into the one I wanted thankfully :) It was the case last year, I think there is the option of making a sixth choice within like 14 days of making your final five, think that costs an extra fiver though! :mad: :p
You should go to as many open days as you can and make sure the Universities are catered towards what you want to do, check out the syllabuses and such ;)

Also, you might want to look at this University guide;

http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/tol_gug/gooduniversityguide.php

Thanks for the link, very useful :)

What were your predicted grades? Mine are AAB so I don't think I have much chance of getting into York, but I thought I might as well try. Queens Belfast is BBB, so I think I might make that my insurance.

Thanks for the link, very useful :)

What were your predicted grades? Mine are AAB so I don't think I have much chance of getting into York, but I thought I might as well try. Queens Belfast is BBB, so I think I might make that my insurance.

You're welcome ;)
Errm something like ABC, I got AAB, Manchester wanted 3 As I think, so I wouldn't have got in there anyways :( I was quite gutted I never made Queens one of my choices, it looks like a nice Uni, York's worth a shot, you might do better than predicted! ;)

Sheffield is my favourite university, only because Ian Kershaw teaches there (History), and they seem to give students financial help

Sheffield is my favourite university, only because Ian Kershaw teaches there (History), and they seem to give students financial help

He doesn't at the moment, he's working abroad I think, but he will be back in a few years time :)

Yeah they do, from what I have read and seen on the Open Day, they really bend over backwards to help with money issues.

I'm bumping this thread because I wondered if any of you have sent off your UCAS applications yet? I haven't and I'm starting to panic a bit, if only because English is such an oversubscribed course :doh:

Manchester Polytechnic 1989 - 91.
I qualified as a ''mature student'' in Applied Youth & Community Work and passed with a ''certificate'' (it became a diploma the following year).

Jukebox Jury

I've sent my application!!! :D

Btw, does anyone know if UCAS will still process applications / send Welcome letters during half-term, or will it continue from when the colleges start back etc?

I can tell you from (VERY) recent first hand experience that Queen's (not Queens') is a fantastic Uni. Not only in academic terms, but the whole student area is amazing. I was back visiting friends only last week - I meant to stay for one day and ended up staying for 6 it was that good.

Also, the "Troubles" ended over 10 years ago, so I wouldn't worry about it - I'd say it's a lot safer than most uni's because all the student accommodation is located mainly in one area (South Belfast) so there are always plenty of other students about (at day and night). Safety in numbers, n all that. Plus, it means you are only ever a stone's throw away from a good house party.

I went to Plymouth university.I only went thier cause i wanted to live near the sea and it was close to cornwall.I had a great time lots of good partys did a bit of studying to:D.

I just started mine yesterday:o. I have until January though:).

Ah, well we have an internal college deadline (28th November) that is before the UCAS one, and I was told to be quick because English is popular :)

I went to Plymouth university.I only went thier cause i wanted to live near the sea and it was close to cornwall.I had a great time lots of good partys did a bit of studying to:D.

Hehe, which degree did you do?

Yeah i am hoping to have mine doen by then as well. It's half done anyway.

With popular courses they don't hand out offers until after the deadline so it doesn't really matter when you apply. Or at least that is what i was told.

I thought so too, but I've heard from a few people who have offers already, from Exeter to do English etc. They ask for AAA so I didn't apply there, Manchester is hard enough to get into without having 2 with those grades lol

I sent my UCAS off today. My choices were: Manchester (x2) Nottingham/ Exeter/ Edinburgh.

Hoping mostly for Manchester or Edinburgh. I am looking to do Literature with American Studies. This latter course means that I spend a year in the States.

I am predicted AAA which is a lot to live up to but I am going to work hard.

Off to bed now to dream once more about touring with Tegan and Sara!!

Love PTxx.

Back
Top Bottom