UK Universities

I went to London Met (hi, Hatfull!). The English department was okay; the Theatre Studies department was tremendous. My boyfriend went to Manchester, and by all accounts the English department there is pretty good.

I sent my UCAS off today. My choices were: Manchester (x2) Nottingham/ Exeter/ Edinburgh.

Hoping mostly for Manchester or Edinburgh. I am looking to do Literature with American Studies. This latter course means that I spend a year in the States.

I am predicted AAA which is a lot to live up to but I am going to work hard.

Off to bed now to dream once more about touring with Tegan and Sara!!

Love PTxx.

I'm applying for Literature on it's own, but I was torn about American Studies at Manchester because I'd love to travel to the US. I'll be spending 4 years at Uni anyway though, not sure I'd want the debt of five :(

I'm predicted AAAB, hoping to get AABB....as long as there are 2 A's in there I couldn't care less what the combination is :p

I am still awaiting offers as my tutor hasn't yet done my reference. I madly want a year in America!!!

Love PTxx.

I sent my UCAS off today.
Love PTxx.

I am still awaiting offers as my tutor hasn't yet done my reference. I madly want a year in America!!!

Love PTxx.

:confused: I didn't think it was possible to send your UCAS off without first having the reference added?? How would they go about doing it separately?

I haven't had any offers yet, I did get an acknowledgement from Manchester but that's it so far :(

Once you send it and pay that is when your college or whoever gets it and does the reference.

Yes, but when you pay and press 'Send' it doesn't go straight to UCAS, it goes to the careers department at college, who then add your reference and check everything over before sending it to UCAS? PT's post sounded like the application had already gone to UCAS without a reference, and his teachers were adding it on or something?

Sorry, my wording was crap. Basically I have completed the form and statement etc. I have clicked 'apy/send' which basically sends it to my head of year who adds the reference and then it goes to the Uni's.

Apparently my reference is still 'in progress'.

Love PTxx.

listen to experienced man (somewhat), you wont get offers until after the ucas deadline has passed.. or at least you shouldnt do...

I'm confused entirely about them atm :( I think I've picked my 5 (York, Sheffield, Manchester, Leicester and Queens' Belfast), but I will probably chop and change a few before I apply.

Which Uni did you go to, and was it all that you had hoped?

Hi, I have just graduated from Leicester with a degree in English and I couldn't recommend it more highly. The course is well structured and the lecturers are not only extremely competent but also very approachable and helpful. I hope you put it through as one of your choices because it's definitely worth looking at. By the way, I didn't get my acceptance from Leicester until around February so I wouldn't worry about that.

Hi, I have just graduated from Leicester with a degree in English and I couldn't recommend it more highly. The course is well structured and the lecturers are not only extremely competent but also very approachable and helpful. I hope you put it through as one of your choices because it's definitely worth looking at. By the way, I didn't get my acceptance from Leicester until around February so I wouldn't worry about that.

Thankyou, yes I put Leicester & Lancaster down as 2 of my potential insurance choices, and I got an offer from Lancaster yesterday :D (conditional ABB). Hopefully Leics will follow soon with a reply :)

Thankyou, yes I put Leicester & Lancaster down as 2 of my potential insurance choices, and I got an offer from Lancaster yesterday :D (conditional ABB). Hopefully Leics will follow soon with a reply :)

Sounds very good...my brother is doing English and Creative Writing at Lancaster. He has just gone back for his 2nd year. In fact I am off to Lancaster Uni. this weekend to stay with him!

Love PTxx.

Sounds very good...my brother is doing English and Creative Writing at Lancaster. He has just gone back for his 2nd year. In fact I am off to Lancaster Uni. this weekend to stay with him!

Love PTxx.

ooh, I haven't been to an Open Day yet PT, could you tell me a little about what Lancs is like when you get back??

ooh, I haven't been to an Open Day yet PT, could you tell me a little about what Lancs is like when you get back??

I can tell you now, I have been a few times before to see my brother. As a University it is all on campus. The accomodation is really nice from what I have seen and very modern; my brother has an en-suite bathroom and then has a communal kitchen to meet everybody. He seems to absolutely love the lectures so I assume the teaching is of a high standard. If you get the English course then I'm sure you won't regret it. I think the lecturers have a great relationship with the students and get everyone involved. It has struck me as a really, really great university and everyone seem to get along well; there are many student ambassadors who are always happy to help people out etc. On sit I think my brother said that there are little areas like a post office, newsagents and general store for little bits and pieces; as for big food shopping you can get a bus from the campus into Lancaster where there is a massive Sainsburys.

As for Lancaster as a town/ city ( I still don't know what to class it as ) it seems incredible beautiful; it is quite old fashioned and small but with a great atmosphere surrounding the place. There is a little market area but there is also the regular shops, HMV, Waterstones, a shopping centre etc. I think it a bit of everything for everybody. Also, there is a great student life e.g. the bars and pubs around the area seem really nice. I know that various campus accomdation houses at Lancaster also hold parties etc. at various times. Don't forget also that there is Lancaster Castle which seems like a great little place; you could sit against the battlement walls and read literature whilst looking over Lancaster. If you fancy a quiet day away from the heart of the place then you are not short of walks or places to visit. My brother regularly goes up to the Lake District and spends days walking there and having a break in the countryside.

I basically highly recommend it. It seems to have everything one could possibly ask for in a University and town/ city. The only reason I am not trying to go is that (a) my brother goes there and I don't want to keep following him at every stage of life and (b) if I did go I would end up doing exactly the same course as he does which would make my 'not following my brother at every stage of life' even worse.

Anyway, good luck....if you need anymore help just let me know either here or by PM.

Off to bed now as I am shattered...I had to do a whole 1 hour work at school today :eek::eek: and it has killed me.

Love PTxx.

I just got an offer from Sheffield, conditional AAB, ecstatic :D

Now come on Manchester...

Back
Top Bottom