Was Morrissey the first........

What kind of teenage experience? I think that most 60s pop songs deal with some kind of teenage experience. So do New York Dolls, Ramones, Buzzcocks... And living below the breadline, well, I think that would be the majority of blues and country songs. Or, for instance, "Brother, Can You Spare A Dime" (originally performed by Bing Crosby)?

Last edited:
I’m pretty sure the Smiths weren’t the first band to deal with the issues you mention but they may as well have been to me! I remember becoming quite dispirited with music a few years ago, trying hard to find something that said something to me or was vaguely intellectual and I came to the conclusion I never actually would, being a child of the nineties too there was just the domination of terrible pop music it seemed. So to find the Smiths was like a door being burst open, a real revelation to me.

I think they were very much a product of the eighties, I’ve read several comments like that from critics- that they belonged to that era and couldn’t have happened any other time. So it’s interesting to me how relevant the lyrics still are and how they are obviously attracting whole new generations of admirers twenty years on. I wonder if it’s because we are living in the world that’s the product of that time and things maybe haven’t changed an awful lot in some ways, or if it’s just feelings that can be associated with in a non-specific way. I think the songs are so easy to connect to because they seem to speak so directly, they aren’t cryptic and just sum up so wonderfully so many experiences we all go through, maybe that’s the guarantee of an enduring appeal.

As for other bands, I also have limited knowledge, but I have been listening to Joy Division a bit lately and they seem to have covered such things as living in desolate urban environments, unsatisfactory relationships and things just not generally going according to plan in life. I love the songs but they don’t speak to me as directly as the Smiths still though. Ok, ramble over…

ph076.jpg

francoise%20hardy%20image%2011.jpg

now her
I know!

she was so cool looking. her style.. and her voice! i like that fact that she was borderline androgynous.

Just listen to '20s and '30s jazz. Not only were many popular songs not gender specific, but male vocalists actually sang songs of love and longing for other men, very openly.

There was a great compilation cd released a few years ago "Can't Help Lovin' That Man" (art deco records) of songs that sound positively transgressive by today's standards.

As for living below the breadline, it was the Great Depression - jazz and blues provided a haven for folks who had it tougher than we can imagine (with tremendous wit and melancholy as well).

There ain't nothin' new under the sun - there are only folks like Morrissey, who continue (and expand upon) a great tradition.

Know-it-all history lesson over.

As for other bands, I also have limited knowledge, but I have been listening to Joy Division a bit lately and they seem to have covered such things as living in desolate urban environments, unsatisfactory relationships and things just not generally going according to plan in life.
Come to think of it, those are more or less the subjects of the majority of punk / proto-punk / post-punk / alternative rock bands' lyrics, aren't they?

All very interesting. Especially bout the 20's + 30's jazz. But yeah, I'd have to agree that the topics have been done before (well, I knew that anyway, I have listened to other bands :D !!). So what was it for all of you that made the Smith's music speak to you like no else's? Would their music have meant the same to you (if it was sung and the music was played in the exact same way) by, say, The Stranglers??!? To what extent do the people who make the music affect how you hear or relate to the music, or in this case, how much did Morrissey's (I would include the other members, but this is a Morrissey site!) persona or the person that he was influence your liking of the Smiths' music? Is it ever really just about the music?

If there is something new that Morrissey did do, that's sexually ambiguous songs such as "Handsome Devil" or "Reel Around The Fountain"... How many people can write a song with lyrics "let me get my hands on your mammary glands" and "a boy in the bush is worth two in the hand" and still have everybody call it homoerotic? :p :D

Ha ha! Yeah, I always found that funny too.

Back
Top Bottom