The Smith's first rehearsal exists!

SparkleBoy

worships Johnny Thunders
Story was just posted by a member of There Is A Site That Never Goes Out, but I wouldn't count on Mike Joyce handing that cassette over to anyone anytime soon! DAMN!!

In only there were some technology that would allow you to link directly to the article in question! Oh, wait, there is. But don't bother, 'cause here's what it says:

About ten years ago I was working for a magazine and an interview was arranged with Mike Joyce. A journalist and I were dispatched up to his house in the more well off surburbs of Manchester. Mike is very friendly and a great guy to hang out with. The journo is talked into a jam with Mike in his studio basement.

After this we are sitting in his kitchen having a coffee and Mikes appears with a battered ghetto blaster and a cardboard box of cassettes. We look inside and are amazed by the contents of this box. With his characteristic enthusiasm he pulls a tape out and sticks it into the ageing player that looks like it might 'eat' every cassette you put into it. The sounds that come out are familiar but we can't quite place them. Mike grins and says "This is the Smiths first rehearsal" That amazing sound isn't quite there Mozs voice is slightly different that confidence is not fully developed, the rhythm section sound more like they want to be in a funk outfit. Only Marrs guitar sounds pretty polished. Overall though its quite impressive for the first ever time of playing together. There must be 30+ tapes in the box they obviously recorded alot of gigs, theres also some outtakes and studio runthroughs..Lets hope that some of these finally see the light of day..

Do we need to arrange a break-in to liberate these puppies?

Yes..

I would certainly hope that by now all those rare recordings have been transferred from the cassette tapes to proper masters and are being well taken care of!

He could download a music mixing program with audio cleaning functions, by a cable with a headphone jack on each end for £3, record the tracks to his PC and clean them up himself! :roll:

Back
Top Bottom