What do you feel about zoos?

Hellie

Lost
I went today to a Wildlife place with my kids,that had monkeys and crocodiles and snow leopards and tigers.The monkeys had nice big cages that had joining cage tunnels so they could swing happily from one to the other.However the tigers and leopards had very small compounds with a few tufts of grass.Although they looked well fed and their coats looked to be in good condition I couldn`t help crying(yes really) that these beautiful creatures spend their whole lives here unable to run or act on any natural instinct.The crocs had not much more than a puddle to laze in and some of the repitles tiny tanks.I have no problem with big places like Longleat where the animals can roam around acres of land freely-but I feel like I`m alone in thinking that its barbaric to cage these animals.Maybe its okay to preserve the species?i don`t know.I went three days ago to a circus and was disgusted at the state of the poor camels.I thought this kind of thing was of the past.I`m boycotting them now.:(

I went today to a Wildlife place with my kids,that had monkeys and crocodiles and snow leopards and tigers.The monkeys had nice big cages that had joining cage tunnels so they could swing happily from one to the other.However the tigers and leopards had very small compounds with a few tufts of grass.Although they looked well fed and their coats looked to be in good condition I couldn`t help crying(yes really) that these beautiful creatures spend their whole lives here unable to run or act on any natural instinct.The crocs had not much more than a puddle to laze in and some of the repitles tiny tanks.I have no problem with big places like Longleat where the animals can roam around acres of land freely-but I feel like I`m alone in thinking that its barbaric to cage these animals.Maybe its okay to preserve the species?i don`t know.I went three days ago to a circus and was disgusted at the state of the poor camels.I thought this kind of thing was of the past.I`m boycotting them now.:(
When I was little, my oarents would only take me to a circus with no animals, and we didn't go to many zoos, Chester because it was near us and Dublin on holiday, they were both nice spacious zoos. However, they once took us to Flamingo Land. Big mistake. They had polar bears, and all they did was pace and bang their heads on things. We never went back. So big zoos, I'm ok with, but not ones with inadiquate enclosures and I don't agree with animals in a circus at all.

"Zoos are full, prisons are overflowing... oh my, how the world still dearly loves a cage." Maude, Harold and Maude, 1971

I hate zoos. Just like dissection, it's pointless...especially in today's world of hyper communications when movies, pictures and files can be sent from every corner of earth within seconds.

I like the idea of children being able to experience seeing a real wild animal, but I think the standards for zoos should be very stringent and reflect as closely as possible the experience that the animal would actually have. If the animal typically has a range of ten acres, that's what it should have. Instead of cages we should have preserves, very large fenced areas, that reflect the natural environment. Certain types of animals should probably not be put in climates that are not natural to them. If you look at what's happening in the environment though, polar bears might soon exist only in zoos.

I think some zoos do a lot of good conservation work. By using modern breeding techniques they are maintaining some populations. It is sad but true, but I susspect that soon the only tigers alive will be living in zoons. Sounds terrible, but if you think about it, that means that if it were not for the zoos would have become extinct. If it comes to that....

Personally I hate the places, I hate to see animals caged up like that. Although, like others I think places like Longleat are OK.

Reminds me of a favourite Spike Milligan poem

Condensed Animals: 1991

Owl

The owl at night
Without a light
His eyes can give you
Quite a fright

Butterfly

Butterfly butterfly
Making colours in the sky
Red white and blue upon on your wings
You are the loveliest of things

Jellyfish

Jellyfish jellyfish
Like a jelly on a dish
If I covered you with custard
You'd be very vert flustered.

Caterpillar

Caterpillar caterpillar
Passing by
Soon you'll be
A butterfly

Tuna

Tuna tuna
I know you'd sonner
Not be in a tin
So please please please
You Japanise
Do not commit this sin

Millipede

Millipede millipede
Is very strange you see
He has to use a thousand legs
To get from A to B.

We go to Brookfield Zoo outside Chicago very often. It's really a good place, the animals have large spaces for the most part, and most of them are really designed to be as natural as possible. The zoo is also a part of the Species Survival Program whereby captive animals are strategically bred to optimize what's left of the gene pool and then repopulated into their natural habitats. Without programs like these, many species would be much closer to extinction. The zoo also raises awareness and compassion for the animals. Brookfield also sponsors lots of research programs worldwide, including a really great dolphin program in Southwest Florida.

Lincoln Park Zoo in Chicago, on the other hand, has severe problems with animals dying. The worst case I've heard lately was a few years ago, when, just after the grand opening of their new primate habitat, several monkeys died from ingesting toxic, but decorative, plants which were planted within reach of their habitat. Apparently the designers didn't think that MONKEYS would be able to reach the plants.

But most zoos probably cannot in any way afford to give the animals adequate care, or function meaningfully as resources to slow or stop extinction. It's just so very expensive and difficult to responsibly care for creatures outside of their natural homes.

I go to the zoo quite often & agree that some of the enclosures are quite depressing! But I think attitudes are changing in that area & the focus is on conservation & building better (more natural) habitats.

Over here all the large animals (elephants, giraffes etc) are no longer in the city zoo but out in a plain zoo. No cages.

I agree with the point about children being able to experience animals, children (generally) love animals & it helps them to develop compassion and interest in them.

i always liked zoo's, as a kid, and going on a day trip with me parents and
4 sisters and only brother

Especially dangerous animals had my full attention, big condors, snakes,
all the big cats

as becomingan adult, i began to feel that's not right to pack all kinda
sorta animals in little enviremnets in little park.

a few months ago, a gorilla escaped from a zoo in me country [not out of the zoo, but the place where he lived and was to ne seen daily]
Blijdorp zoo, Rotterdam... he, Bokito, serously injured a woman who came
4, 5 times a week for that particular Gorilla...after de did that he trashed
a restaurant in the zoo

my message, stay away from zoo's and look national geographic on TV
if you like nature and animals

Depends on the Zoo.

....There are more important issues to worry about...

The animals are usually treated well for the most part.....

I say worry about the Fur and Whaling Industries...

"Zoos are full, prisons are overflowing... oh my, how the world still dearly loves a cage." Maude, Harold and Maude, 1971

I hate zoos. Just like dissection, it's pointless...especially in today's world of hyper communications when movies, pictures and files can be sent from every corner of earth within seconds.
what she said.

(sorry i had to)

speaking of zoos...has anyone read the new derrick jensen book "Thought to Exist in the Wild: Awakening from the Nightmare of Zoos" yet?
i cant wait to pick up a copy.

I think some zoos do a lot of good conservation work. By using modern breeding techniques they are maintaining some populations. It is sad but true, but I susspect that soon the only tigers alive will be living in zoons. Sounds terrible, but if you think about it, that means that if it were not for the zoos would have become extinct. If it comes to that....

Personally I hate the places, I hate to see animals caged up like that. Although, like others I think places like Longleat are OK.

Reminds me of a favourite Spike Milligan poem

Condensed Animals: 1991

Owl

The owl at night
Without a light
His eyes can give you
Quite a fright

Butterfly

Butterfly butterfly
Making colours in the sky
Red white and blue upon on your wings
You are the loveliest of things

Jellyfish

Jellyfish jellyfish
Like a jelly on a dish
If I covered you with custard
You'd be very vert flustered.

Caterpillar

Caterpillar caterpillar
Passing by
Soon you'll be
A butterfly

Tuna

Tuna tuna
I know you'd sonner
Not be in a tin
So please please please
You Japanise
Do not commit this sin

Millipede

Millipede millipede
Is very strange you see
He has to use a thousand legs
To get from A to B.

What he said :)

Zoos smell yucky. I prefer Zoso.

zosoqq9.jpg

Called "Zoso" because it resembles a word, this glyph is one of four enigmatic symbols appearing on the cover of rock group Led Zeppelin's album Four. Each member of the band chose a personal emblem for the cover; this symbol was chosen by guitarist Jimmy Page as a personal emblem.

The symbol is probably derived from a sixteenth century treatise by mathemetician and occultist Girolamo Cardano, where it is used to represent the planet Saturn for purposes of magick. Page is a Capricorn, a sign ruled by Saturn, and Saturn, of course, is the planetary ruler of lead. The symbol also bears a strong resemblance to characters of the "alphabet of the Magi," a seventeenth century text used exclusively for fashioning magical talismans.

What it means personally to Page is unknown, as he has never publically revealed its meaning, but his interest in magick and Crowleyanna is well known. (He even operated an occult bookshop called "Equinox" for a time.)

Look how pretty:

jimmypagedg6.jpg

(if I thought anyone would care, I'd say HIJACK: This is now the Jimmy Page Frink Thread!, but I think I may be alone on this one...) :rolleyes:

Most zoos that I have experienced are, for lack of a better word, awesome. In the United States there are strict regulations regarding care for the animals. In many instances these animals are in better hands being in a zoo than in the wild. I find it doubtful that the hunting practices and poaching in Africa, Australia and certain other places will ever be stopped.

On top of that the major zoos showcase the animals to offset the money required for research and conservation of those animals. It is NOT a slave show as some people sometimes suggest. (I did not see that in this thread but have in other areas of the internet). Through the creation of the modern zoos, animal conservation efforts have made considerable advances.

On another side note... has anyone ever visited Animal Kingdom in Walt Disney World? Simply amazing. I highly reccomend a visit to the park if you have the opportunity.

In the United States there are strict regulations regarding care for the animals. QUOTE]

Bullocks, animals are being cuaght on delivery, don't you ever look at
National Geographic or that kinda TV stations?
Seen lots of documentaries where specific animals were caught in
South Africa, for 1 reason, only breeding for pure offspring for Zoo's all over the World and the USA zoo's are also mentioned a lot

give me 2 leopards and a pepsi:confused:

Back
Top Bottom