"World Peace..." #12 in second week UK album charts

They would have been the obvious singles to any record company but Harvest. It seems idiotic that 4 songs were released prior to the album and these two were not among them.
I don't think we will see any more singles now, there is no point.

Of course there is a point you flipping great half wit. If a catchy, upbeat song is released, it gets put on radio stations' playlists.
When radio stations play songs, people go out and buy albums. This is what happened with First of the Gang. It's so unbelievably simple yet it's beyond the comprehension of the depressingly large number of f***wits on this site.

IMO, I can't believe Kiss Me A Lot has not been released as a 'summer single', an obvious choice for djs to play at the clubs, especially in Ibiza etc. what better time of the year for these lyrics.

If he isn't up to appearing on a video, get a trusted 'mate' to trawl thru his personal copies of all his concerts he has had recorded over the years, to create a montage of his 'fans' leaping on stage hugging and kissing him. Get Harvest to hand a copy of it for an exclusive play on MTV upon the singles release. This covers UK, Europe and USA. Perhaps I'm being too simplistic.

He didn't get a no. 1 album, so at least get to no.1 with this single.

You are wrong, because unlike the U.S., U.K. charts are premised on sales and not airplay. Where does your post make money mention of physical units sold?

You're wrong about Quarry. The only thing that stopped it plummeting was the huge (for Morrissey) radio airplay which FOTG received. That did (for the first time since Viva Hate) prevent a Moz album from sinking into oblivion after its release, and gave it about an extra 10 weeks on the chart. When LMKY and I forgive Jesus were released, album sales were not affected at all because hardly any stations played those songs.
If an edited version of Staircase is released, it will revive the current album's fortunes, as it will get a lot more airplay than Istanbul (Radio 2 A list etc). It's the most euphoric song he's sung since FOTG.

I fully understand the need for some to put a brave face on these disappointing results but worldwide sales of 58,000, some of which may well have been hardcore fans "buying four copies" isn't exactly great. Years of Refusal sold 58,000 in the first two months, not worldwide, but in the USA alone.

http://www.morrissey-solo.com/article.pl?sid=09/04/01/172247

World Peace has/had two main problems to overcome. Firstly, the songs simply aren't there, and secondly, and I think most importantly, Morrissey himself is now a toxic brand. He has been running his mouth for too long, and even people who have supported him are sick of it. You can behave like a diva when you are one, but when you struggle to sell out a small town tour of the US you simply cannot.

As I said a couple of weeks ago the complete lack of interest in its promotion from Morrissey himself makes me wonder if even he was fully convinced by it. He caught a cold from KY [sic] yet a month later was still too ill? That doesn't stack up, unless he was lying.

He is a depressive, negative character who copes with those traits through his popularity. Now that is waning how will he deal with that? He's too narcissistic to kill himself, so brace yourselves for more ludicrous comments from the bunker.

He's a wanker full stop !

In my opinion Morrissey's World Peace is in the top3 Morrissey's album....I love and listen to every album that Moz puts out and enjoy and treasure all of them for different reasons...I would say Viva Hate is the best album he released thus far,,,Too many great hooks, the best lyrics of any of any of the previous 10 albums and the best singing of them all....I would rank World Peace up with Vaxuall And I.....Too close yet to call as of yet since I have listened to his World Peace only twice...World Peace has great singing and has a totally different sound musically. World Peace has many different arrangements and uses many different instruments ,,I LOVE ALL OF IT....I don't understand Morrissey fans at all....I think of a musician is one who can produce different sounding music, writing moving lyrics and can move me emotionally with their voice and style...Again, I believe Morrissey talent level is among the top singers in this era/generation...I would appreciate every album he puts out NOW and in the future, since sooner or later he will finally hang it All up....Does anyone else agree with my ranking of his albums?? ALso, I would rank Staircase at the University in my top5 best Morrissey songs of all time. A true GEM of a record....Again, I would like to hear what other true Morrissey fans would rank World Peace out of his 10 albums. Thanks, Gene...

radio is pretty dead here in america compared to what it used to be imo with stations disappearing left and right satellite radio being no different. only internet radio holds any promise and im not convinced that can even hang around with so many streaming sights that allow personal control over content. why would anyone want it?

Funny! There is no surprises here--actually he is lucky it is still in top twenty. We all must remember that this is one of his worst releases in his solo career.

No, only you must remember that. Because your opinion is not a fact. Not at all. "You must please remember."

Satellite radio in America actually is pretty Moz friendly. Richard Blade plays a lot of his 80s stuff and always talks about Moz's new albums or tours.

Other stations have been playing WPINOYB.

i believe that i just dont think satellite has the same appeal or reach that old radio did and am uncertain and doubtful about its musical future. talk radio i think has a great future if they play it right.

I know he wants to release a record, have a mysterious interview in a major magazine or two plus a few gushing print fanzines. But this is not 1984...and you are failing Moz, FAILING. You came in at number 14 in the charts in a world of horrible music. 14.

Look at who cam in at number 1. Weird Al Yankovic.

Weird Al embraced the internet. He worked with fan sites and fans. He was all over the internet. He reached out. And fans and EVERYONE reached back. Number 1 with a record of parodies.

I KNOW you wanted number 1 Morrissey. I wanted you at number 1. But your foolishness, old ways and being angry at the modern world is your downfall.

Morrissey is now operating like Colonel Kurtz, he is way up the river and is just surrounded by sycophants, yes men and amateurs who bow to his every whim. He really needs strong management but I fear he is too far gone to trust anyone again.

Compare this campaign for World Peace to the amazingly planned and coordinated campaign for Quarry, when he had a strong experienced management team around him. True World Peace is no Quarry in terms of quality but even so the way this record has come out is a total farce.

His decision to give no interviews or have any shows around the release have proven to be a disaster...the quality of the record has not helped for sure but even if the record had been better I don't think it would have fared much better.

Morrissey has always been slightly unhinged and disconnected from reality, that was part of his genius...and yes he was a genius. However World Peace is not the work of a genius, it is the work of a paranoid, out of touch, bitter man. There was always empathy, understanding, a weird humbleness to Morrissey in his interviews, lyrics and even his voice. That is certainly gone from his lyrics now (which on the new record for the most party are dreadful). you can even hear it in his voice, gone is the slightly affected warmth and in it's place there is an arrogant bellow. the voice is still great but if you listen there seems to be no emotion there at all now.

I could go on .....but you get the general idea

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom