"World Peace..." #12 in second week UK album charts

Don't think anyone has mentioned it yet, but he has sold 5,255 in the UK in his second week, which isn't all that bad. :)

Hi Johnny,
I guess it's all a matter of perspective.
Whilst your post is clearly thought out and makes sense I can't help but see it differently.
Yes, there has been all the nonsense about the tour cancellations, the dumb public pronouncements and so on.
I really got sick of it all, and with the lack of output, all this nonsense began to define him.
I got really sick of the twat.
But then we got Autobiography and the new album.
No disrespect to those who don't like the new stuff, but I think these 2 new products are wonderful and it demonstrates what an amazing artist he is.
Despite everything, when he does what he can really do (and that does not include political philosophy) he produce incredibly high quality, entertaining and often beautiful art.
I'm not a cultist (as I hope many Solo-ers know) I am just in awe of his abilities as a musician and writer.

Although I would not describe his Autobiography as a product I broadly agree that Both the book and this album are far better than I expected. I understand why people may not like them but I tend to think this period marks something of an Indian summer. Albeit without the Indians.

Des anyone the know sales figures of other established 'vintage' artists in the first week who have released (broadly) well-received albums in the last couple of years eg Dylan, Leonard Cohen, Neil Young, Paul Weller, Paul McCartney etc? I'd be interested to know.

I exclude Bowie on the grounds that the Next Day campaign was by far and away the best record company strategy for PR in many a year

Although I would not describe his Autobiography as a product I broadly agree that Both the book and this album are far better than I expected. I understand why people may not like them but I tend to think this period marks something of an Indian summer. Albeit without the Indians.
Why an Indian Summer?
I do not see his 50's as nearing the end.
He's a singer not an athlete.
He should have at least 20 more productive years.
Look at Sinatra, Tony Bennet, Ella Fitzgerald and so on.

Des anyone the know sales figures of other established 'vintage' artists in the first week who have released (broadly) well-received albums in the last couple of years eg Dylan, Leonard Cohen, Neil Young, Paul Weller, Paul McCartney etc? I'd be interested to know.

I exclude Bowie on the grounds that the Next Day campaign was by far and away the best record company strategy for PR in many a year

I can't speak for the UK (and yes, I know that's the thread topic, humor me!), but at least in the US, all of these artists (with the exception of Paul Weller and possibly Leonard Cohen) are very, VERY famous even among the most mainstream Americans. They are household names capable of filling stadiums. If I were to walk out on the street in any random US town and ask 10 people who on this list they'd heard of, I'm guessing almost all of them would know 100%. On the flip side, maybe 1 of them would have heard of Morrissey.

I'd say Elvis Costello and Nick Cave are probably fairer comparisons to Morrissey in terms of general name recognition—in the US, at least. WPINOYB charted much higher than any recent releases by either, which is a bit shocking to me given the large amount of press both EC and NC get over here.

We all must remember that this is one of his worst releases in his solo career.
We all must remember that this is one of the best releases in his solo career.
We must all remember that this one of the releases in his solo career.

do you guys think he will/harvest will release another single now that the albums out to at least perpetuate some attention hoping to continue sales at any level? what would you guys want to see though im guessing staircase by most peoples statements in other threads. id vote for kiss me a lot myself with a photo by doisneau but thatd be expensive im guessing.

do you guys think he will/harvest will release another single now that the albums out to at least perpetuate some attention hoping to continue sales at any level? what would you guys want to see though im guessing staircase by most peoples statements in other threads. id vote for kiss me a lot myself with a photo by doisneau but thatd be expensive im guessing.

'Kiss Me A Lot' and 'Staircase at the University' would both be GREAT singles, I think. I also think that they would generate a good deal of sales/interest in the album, too...

'Kiss Me A Lot' and 'Staircase at the University' would both be GREAT singles, I think. I also think that they would generate a good deal of sales/interest in the album, too...
Kiss Me alot is bloody triffic. The first song off the album to reel me in.

They would have been the obvious singles to any record company but Harvest. It seems idiotic that 4 songs were released prior to the album and these two were not among them.
I don't think we will see any more singles now, there is no point.

If they are going to release 'Kiss Me A Lot', they better start making more buckets, and fast.
If you really liked Years of Refusal, it is not inconceivable that you could end up liking the new one.
For example, Neal Cassidy would have fit quite nicely on YOR.
Kiss Me Alot is definitely vintage Moz, great hook, good song structure. Not unlike Paris or You Have Killed Me.
Question is, would you let us here know if it did start to grow on you?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom