A recollection from Alain Whyte

I just stumbled across this on FB, and he should definitely write this book. Judging from his posts over there, he seems to be a really good guy ... and it would be interesting to hear the whole story from his point of view.

And I do agree with what he said about the lineup. I saw them in Berlin back in 1991 ... best Morrissey show ever!

While I can understand Alain being disappointed if a couple of his friends had gone, I don't think he can really have any legitimate complaints about the rhythm section on Vauxhall or about Morrissey's right to change musicians as he saw fit.

I can understand if Alain regrets agreeing to mime playing the drums in the later videos though.

Yes Vauxhaul lost nothing with Bridgwood and Taylor on rhythms. Alain playing drums on In hot future... Clip is shameful. Have some dignity man and leave before you take up the role as puppet.

The way it was handled might not have been great - but judging by the results I can't argue with the decision to replace the rhythm section for 'Vaxhaull and I'. Getting rid of Alain when he was the main songwriter was a boneheaded decision though, which Morrissey has not yet recovered from. Presumably turning up for the recording of 'Years of Refusal' only to be told he was not wanted in the building was the final straw.

Alain wasn't fired..

Just as he wrote, so you can all guess, he had it with being in Morrissey's band, and there was
tension between Boz and Aain even they say their relation was good, but competition on whose song was on the album was also a issue Alain was done with, as with Morrissey's famous comunication and 'wait till the phone goes to show up' . For me Alain is and was Morrissey best co-writer in his solo career though the last album without Alain [no demoos] is a good one.

Whyteside forever

long live jesse.

ALSO, you'd never see anything like this from Boz. He knows better.

Last edited:
"I was not happy when Spen and Gaz were not on the Vauxhall and I record."

Alain Whyte is quite right about his own comparison with Johnny Marr because he is as big a sissy as Johnny. So he was not happy that Spen and Gaz were not on Vauxhall And I? Honestly? I assume he is a bright person. He should have known from the beginning that Moz is a solo artist with a band and not a band. He decides who is in HIS band. HE, before everyone else, has to be happy with his own personel. Either you accept it or you don't. If he was so unhappy about his best buddies not being in the band any longer he could have left with them. Everybody talks about the Lads being the glorious days but I don't think it ever was in terms of unity. Today they are a unit but not back then. Maybe he should have taken his buddies to try his luck in The Fall. I doubt they would have last very long.

Well there's a predictable reflex 'knocking-anyone-who-isn't-Morrissey' response from our resident idiot. Do you even have a mind of your own?

With regards to Vauxhall and I, as other have said, Alain probably wasn't happy with the number of Boz songs on the album but it could also be that he wasn't happy that some of Boz's songs were the 'keystones' of the album. With Boz writing the opening and closing tracks and the hit single, he did outshine Alain to some extent on that record.

Indeed, Boz hit a career high with Vauxhall. Alain did some beautiful work, too, but the album opener and closer are towering.

I've still yet to hear an official explanation for having Alain fling away his guitar in the video for The More You Ignore Me... (a Boz track). Morrissey often liked to tease/ridicule Alain -- was it his way of saying "If you can't write a song as good as this, you may as well bin your guitar"?

As I'm not on FB I'd never read Alain's regret about appearing in the Ringleader vids. Morrissey was disrespectful in asking him to play drums for In the Future..., and, as Alain himself wrote, he should never have accepted.

With regards to Vauxhall and I, as other have said, Alain probably wasn't happy with the number of Boz songs on the album but it could also be that he wasn't happy that some of Boz's songs were the 'keystones' of the album. With Boz writing the opening and closing tracks and the hit single, he did outshine Alain to some extent on that record.

I would agree with Alain that the line up of Whyte,Boorer,Day and Cobrin was the most exciting one that Morrissey had.

Not necessarily the best musicians Morrissey has ever used but there was a real dynamic and chemistry with that band.

seems like it.

i also dont get this johnny had to do everything as geoff states that over the years he dealt more and more with only morrissey with morrissey doing all the interview requests and all the artwork design and the requests involved with the label setting up all the tours. what is it he claimed to have to do. i guess well find out when his bio comes out but itd be telling if he only dedicates a small section to the smiths working and just talks music. if he doesnt state why he left clearly there i dont know what to think.

if alain left then shows up in a video for ringleader and tries to show back up at refusal sessions then thats really weird behavior. you dont just show up. that would show that he really over thought his role if true

"Maybe one day I'll write a book." Marr, then Alain, jesus, really? Why muddy up the waters when the TRUTH has already been told in Autobiography.

;)

You really are a deluded class A prick. autobiography was written by a man renowned for bending the truth.

Last edited:
To work with someone who ticks all the boxes of the autism spectrum for so long I think both Johnny and Alain deserve a lot of credit and respect.
I look forward to reading their accounts of what it's like living and working in Steven's world.
It's all making sense now. Well done lads you did your best.

Benny-the-British-Butcher

Yes Vauxhaul lost nothing with Bridgwood and Taylor on rhythms. Alain playing drums on In hot future... Clip is shameful. Have some dignity man and leave before you take up the role as puppet.

Agreed. I always thought Bridgwood was the better bassist over Gary Day but there was a certain dynamic that the original Lads had.

erm, 1994 released, Alain stepped back in 2004, so he played numerous times, as Boz, songs from each other...

next try

Most interesting bit for me is the 'Tired and exhausted the years of good people coming and going took its tale. I guess I left for the same reasons as Johnny Marr.' quote.

I thought the general rumour was that he was pushed out rather than leaving of his own choosing.

Basically the AUTISM took its toll on both of them and let's not forget in the Smiths era words like aspergers/autism weren't commonly heard like they are today.

Benny-the-British-Butcher

I agree with Alain about Hammersmith, it's Morrissey's best gig I'll wager. I went to the Brighton gig on the same tour and it doesn't compare. Why don't you find out for yourself?

Like a couple of posters above I agree Vauxhall was lacklustre, something they tried to redress to mixed success on Southpaw. Not quite sure what the point of Dagenham Dave was?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jesse's arrival pretty much sealed Alain's fate. As previously mentioned, relegating Alain to drummer status in the Ringleader videos was a low-point. But even more insulting to him was Morrissey's growing working relationship with Jesse. After the success of YATQ, Jesse's compositions on ROTT were selected as all of the singles for the album and even Morrissey began appearing in public with his new songwriter -- the interview in which the two sat side-by-side where Morrissey praised Jesse for his strong sense of pop melody. Alain made a much more important contribution to Moz's career at that point, why wasn't Alain ever brought along in a public interview with Morrissey? And when Morrissey and Jesse arrived late to Alain's Red Lightning gig in LA, showing up at the conclusion of the show. No wonder Gary soon dropped off the scene after the Ringleader tour, I assume he knew things weren't the same either.

Back
Top Bottom