Are you more of a Morrissey or a Smiths fan ?

lucky lisp

somebody has to be me
I love the bones of Morrissey but wonder would he be where is today if he had launched straight into a solo career without The Smiths

Re: Are you more of a Morrissey or a Smiths fan ?Q

lucky lisp said:
I love the bones of Morrissey but wonder would he be where is today if he had launched straight into a solo career without The Smiths

hes got the charisma, and the intelligence, i think he would have done soemthing but Johnny Marr was a major player is Morrisseys success and Moz didnt find marr, Marr found Moz so imagine Moz maybe not having Marrs contribution and song writing. Might not have made quite an impact.

I'm definitely more of a Smiths fan than a Moz fan, although I do have everything from the solo years. i always felt that The Smiths were a sum of its parts, a band where everything just fell so perfecly into place.

I've followed Moz's career with interest and it's undoubtably had it's moments but The Smiths for me are still one of the greatest bands of the last 50 years. I think the role of Andy & Mike has been sadly underplayed. As Thaxter says they were a sum of some great parts.

I am more of a Smiths' fan.
In no way you can compare his solo work to the Smiths, but still, sometimes it was a bit low (hard to admit, I know!). Fans who followed Morrissey now when he went solo, are absolutely more interested with himself (the character). He's a great man, and he himself is already a theatrical piece! There's a lot more involved with him (solo) than when he was in the Smiths

I'm a Smiths fan as The Smiths were the BEST thing ever to happen in my life. I was 16 clumsy & shy when I discovered them. Their songs SAVED my life. I love Moz solo stuff too, but overall it's not as good as The Smiths. Some of the music in the solo stuff is very bland and it really annoys me as Morrissey deserves better.

It's interesting whenever a Top 100 poll comes out like, Best Album, Best Band, Best Song etc, The Smiths and not Morrissey always seem to feature.

Long Live The Smiths & Morrissey! :)

More of a Smiths fan. Marr just added a whole other dimension.

Morrissey & Marr made beautiful music together.

Morrissey fan. I don't think Morrissey is given the credit he should have for the Smiths. People seem to want to rewrite history and make it all about Johnny Marr. Well, I remember at the time the reason people listened to the Smiths was because of Morrissey, no one talked about Johnny Marr. Yes, the music was catchy but the reason the band made such an impact upon people like me was because of Morrissey and his lyrics. That's what made them stand out over the other jingly jangly bands of the day.

The whole aesthetic of The Smiths was Morrissey. The name, image, manifesto etc.

And as far as Marr finding Morrissey goes, the reason Marr decided to go and look for Morrissey is because he'd heard about what he'd done with other groups. Sure, Morrissey might have rotted in his bedroom for the rest of his life if Marr hadn't turned up, but I very much doubt it. He'd have found a way.

Definately a Smiths fan first and foremost. The Smiths left a small but beautifully perfect body of work to be cherished for many decades to come. Nothing to taint the music or the memories which make them the most perfect unit ever in my humble opinion.

I couldn't really answer honestly. I adore Moz (as you may know :)
and his voice. So anything with him singing does it for me.

The Smiths songs are very special indeed, and there was a kinda romance with Moz and Marr, which makes their music sound amazing.

Having said that, listening to him now and thinking, wow man, look how far you have come, and the amazing abilty he has to STILL knock out some of the world's most beautiful music, makes me wonder if he ever really 'needed' Marr.

I know The Smiths wouldn't be anything without Johnny, but let's face it, Morrissey made The Smiths as special as they are.

And call him what you like, Moz, Mozza, wanker, whatever, but he'll always be Morrissey, the shy, intellegent, witty, charming, beautiful man who sang in The Smiths.

What am I trying to say here?
I don't really know, I guess I'm saying ALL his music is just so special (to me).

andy_fozzy said:
I couldn't really answer honestly. I adore Moz (as you may know :)
and his voice. So anything with him singing does it for me.

The Smiths songs are very special indeed, and there was a kinda romance with Moz and Marr, which makes their music sound amazing.

Having said that, listening to him now and thinking, wow man, look how far you have come, and the amazing abilty he has to STILL knock out some of the world's most beautiful music, makes me wonder if he ever really 'needed' Marr.

I know The Smiths wouldn't be anything without Johnny, but let's face it, Morrissey made The Smiths as special as they are.

And call him what you like, Moz, Mozza, wanker, whatever, but he'll always be Morrissey, the shy, intellegent, witty, charming, beautiful man who sang in The Smiths.

What am I trying to say here?
I don't really know, I guess I'm saying ALL his music is just so special (to me).

Splendid post, Andy. And funny bit about the "wanker"! :D

andy_fozzy said:
At least I make an effort to bump my posts up :D
LMAO!! zinger!

I'll go with The Smiths, but as time passes I feel more and more that Morrissey's career enriches The Smiths as much as The Smiths enrich his solo work. I no longer see them as being so different. At one time I did.

Danny, I agree with you that Morrissey has not gotten the credit he deserves. In one way most of all: as he himself pointed out, Johnny took almost no risks after The Smiths, and Morrissey has.

However, I'd like to add a point about Morrissey dominating The Smiths. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I thought I would mention that I'm as big a Smiths fan as anyone and for a long, long time I did not distinguish Morrissey from the rest of the group. No doubt, Morrissey's unique voice and brilliant lyrics made The Smiths wonderful, but I can attest that it was, in fact, possible to have been madly in love with their music without necessarily identifying Morrissey as the godhead presiding over everything.

In the States, the NME was not really available (at least not where I lived), and Morrissey rarely appeared on TV or in print interviews. For a good year all I had was a Smash Hits page detailing some of his wit and wisdom, and that was all. The Smiths seemed very much like a band to me, and to this day I am far more excited by the cover stars and the actual records than I am by posters showing the group members. To me the music sounds like it was made by a band, and my ideal image of The Smiths is four men standing onstage singing or playing instruments. I don't think The Smiths were dominated by either Morrissey or Marr alone, but a combination of the two, and if I do prefer The Smiths to Morrissey it's because I always thought that, as a concept, The Smiths were larger than the people who made the music.

andy_fozzy said:
At least I make an effort to bump my posts up :D

A question was posed...... and I gave my answer! There is something to be said for brevity, no? :D

Worm said:
I'll go with The Smiths, but as time passes I feel more and more that Morrissey's career enriches The Smiths as much as The Smiths enrich his solo work. I no longer see them as being so different. At one time I did.

I am as ever, fascinated by your posts worm!

I think I was trying to say that Moz's voice is just so unique, that to me, he was The Smiths.
We know how The Smiths worked/wrote their music, but Moz's amazing voice just added a touch of class.

Christ, imaging let's say, Simon Le Bon singing in The Smiths :eek:

Just wouldn't be right would it???!!!!

Morrissey Morrissey Morrissey Morrissey Morrissey Morrissey Morrissey Morrissey Morrissey Morrissey Morrissey Morrissey Morrissey Morrissey Morrissey Morrissey

it's him i love and noone else.

Back
Top Bottom