BBC Radio 4 'comedy' featuring "wrong" Moz

On my GP's advice í avoid, like the plague, Radio 4's 6:30pm 'comedy slot'. Because it is shit.

But, tonight, for reasons í won't go into, í was temporarily physically incapable of getting to the wireless to avert the dial.

Hence, í heard the opening 5 minutes or so of this ~

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0002zrd

~ "The Wilsons Save The World" ~ a 'comedy' about "a modern family attempting to live their best ethical life" (yes, really) co-written and starring horse-faced toff rent-a-comic Marcus Brigstocke.
The set-up for to-night's episode "You Can't Do That Anymore" (astonishingly the 2nd epsiode of the 2nd series) is that Dumb Dad Wilson is singing along to "There is a Light that Never Goes Out", in a faux Morrissey voice, when his Millenial Brat Daughter enters and tells him to stop, pointing him in the direction of a website that lists all of Morrissey's 'crimes'. Daughter then tells Sensible Good Mum what she's done, and SGM then berates her because she's tried to hide the fact that Morrissey's "gone all...wrong" from Dumb Old Dad, cos it will give her another problem to fix.

At this point, í finally made it to the dial and turned it round to SmoothFM, or anything at all.
í have no idea, or desire to know, how the episode turns out.

The five minutes í heard pretty much defined what í call The Sound of Smug. Radio 4 is pretty much 80% SOS these days, which is interesting, seeing as how this nation is about to fall off a bloody cliff.

Now, í am, like many of us, still pretty much in the quagmire of working out how the things that Morrissey has said in the last 9 months impact and colour how í feel about his work. It's not simple. 30 years of love cannot be shrugged off in a facile manner. At least for some of us. í don't agree with most of what he has said recently, politically. Does that mean Morrissey has "gone all...wrong"? í disagree with him. But he's entitled to think what he thinks.

But í still swoon at his Big O...

The thing that truly twists my melons about this little skidmark of radio nothing, or, indeed Mr Tim Jonze (x-NME, now "The Guardian's" Fanny Craddock seemingly) trying to negate any Morrissey recorded release, before it's even heard, is the easy Smug manner that 35+ years of recorded Art is seemingly thrown under the bus and rendered "wrong", when these people (Brigstocke, Jonze Etc) have done NOTHING in their entire shabby lives that could even begin to crane upwards at the heights reached by Morrissey. But because he espouses views other than yours, he's just "wrong" in every way, forever, backdated.

It's the New Smug Stalinism.
And don't we all look so virtuous on it...

I'm a fan of 28 years. I'm Canadian. Are any of the crazy right wing British parties trying to take down the monarchy? I'm just trying to figure out what it is he supports, as I'm sure he'd rather see most of the politicians dead than cast his vote for them.

There must be at least one reasonable platform idea to support that lines up with his familiarly rebellious mind.

The only political party he's put his support behind recently is called "For Britain". You can find their manifesto online quite easily. It doesn't mention the monarchy at all (from my quick read of it) - its priorities appear to be changing the voting system to PR, upping the UK's defence spending, sticking up for the rights of Israel, animal welfare, investing more in the police, cutting immigration to zero, and making Muslims in the UK conform as much as possible to traditional UK cultural norms.

I don't know, listened to this while working and I got a few giggles out of it.

I don't know, listened to this while working and I got a few giggles out of it.

Fair enough; í can only assume that you are a grave-digger...

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom