Best Singing On A Morrissey Song

"Dear God Please Help Me" has to be up there.

"I Know It's Over", "That's Entertainment", "Late Night, Maudlin Street", "Now My Heart Is Full", "Human Being"...in fact almost any song on either 'Quarry' or 'Ringleader'.

yeah i agree with you..i mentioned it before..but don't mind:D
i listened to i'll never be anybody's hero...and the voice with the extrem up and downs in the chorus is very nice!!!!

I thought the vocals on 'That's Entertainment' were quite weak, actually. Well, not weak at all, just not one of his best.

YATQ and ROTT are magnificent showcases of his vocal abilities.

Its hard for me to pin point a whole song or songs, but I know that my favorite note that he ever hit on a studio album is when he says "Ma" in Southpaw.

Strange? Maybe but whatever I think its terrific. I replay that note over and over again when I listen to the song. Tis wonderful. :D

Its hard for me to pin point a whole song or songs, but I know that my favorite note that he ever hit on a studio album is when he says "Ma" in Southpaw.

Strange? Maybe but whatever I think its terrific. I replay that note over and over again when I listen to the song. Tis wonderful. :D

I also completely agree with this!

Strange....

I know that it is a new song and as such cannot be accurately compared to the classics but I cannot stop listening to My Dearest Love..

Right now this is the song I'm using to introduce him to people who don't know his work

I've posted it before but the delivery here is by far the best I have heard him in years...I just get the sense that he is singing what he means on this track, that the words means something to HIM again, instead of just being clever..

So far the response has all been positive..

As much as I enjoy the tongue in cheek flippancy of AYNIM I do wish that MDL was the A-Side and Decca had actually tried to get the single some airplay...

I know that it is a new song and as such cannot be accurately compared to the classics but I cannot stop listening to My Dearest Love..

Right now this is the song I'm using to introduce him to people who don't know his work

I've posted it before but the delivery here is by far the best I have heard him in years...I just get the sense that he is singing what he means on this track, that the words means something to HIM again, instead of just being clever..

So far the response has all been positive..

As much as I enjoy the tongue in cheek flippancy of AYNIM I do wish that MDL was the A-Side and Decca had actually tried to get the single some airplay...

Decca did all they could, dude. The idea that a record company can force a single onto a radio station's playlist is a myth. If an artist is not deemed suitable to a radio station's audience demographicc, their song won't get played. Read any interview with Cliff Richard in the last 10 years.

Moz can improve his profile on the playlists (a little) but he needs really good songs with catchy choruses. 'All You Need is Me' wasn't a bad song but has anyone ever caught themselves humming or whistling the melody?

'Now My Heart Is Full', 'Nobody Loves Us' & 'Trouble Loves Me' spring to mind initially.

I simply can't choose one recorded performance over another - he's been a singular vocalist for so long, in so many different ways:

Lifeguard Sleeping, Girl Drowning is so intimate, haunting, tender and mocking, all at the same time. No one else could whisper like that.

Pigsty is his most powerful recorded vocal of all time - he just knocks it out of the park, operatically.

Dear God, Let Me Kiss You, Camden and Nobody's Hero are powerhouses too - the kind of vocals I bet many non-fans didn't think he'd be capable of.

Then again I'd Love To is so tender, and Nobody Loves Us, although the production is a bit murky, those vocals are emotionally spectacular.

I guess his vocals are stronger and more polished now, but he had a more subtle, gentle style then. My Dearest Love is simply entrancing - kind of a cross between the two.

I thought the vocals on 'That's Entertainment' were quite weak, actually. Well, not weak at all, just not one of his best.

No way. The way his voice breaks at the chorus, the desperation. Heartbreakingly beautiful. AND I daresay it shows his aptitude for working with other musicians because (I'm assuming) Boz speeds up 1/3 through and Morrissey matches his speed saving the recording. I didn't set a metronome to it but it sounds that way to me.

No way. The way his voice breaks at the chorus, the desperation. Heartbreakingly beautiful. AND I daresay it shows his aptitude for working with other musicians because (I'm assuming) Boz speeds up 1/3 through and Morrissey matches his speed saving the recording. I didn't set a metronome to it but it sounds that way to me.

I think it may be because I think the song itself is poor, and I am not a fan of The Jam at all.

I think Mozzer's ability for covering up mistakes is put to shame in 'I Know Very Well How I Got My Note Wrong'.

:D

I think it may be because I think the song itself is poor, and I am not a fan of The Jam at all.

I think Mozzer's ability for covering up mistakes is put to shame in 'I Know Very Well How I Got My Note Wrong'.

:D

Touché! You know, I love the Dylan/Cash Girl From The North Country precisely because of the little slip. Though wrong notes are unforgivable. :p

Back
Top Bottom