Morrissey makes an accidental grammatical error on a song???

Well he clearly sings 'if you will allows it'. I quite like it as a quaint acknowledgement of love not being restricted to the intelligent - that's how I percieve it anyway. But who am I to say?

I think that the confusion stems from the British mispronunciation of "your" as "yoh."

I agree, except there's also the strange (but weirdly suggestive) interpretation that the boy racer "has been stood" at the urinal-- i.e. placed there like a statue-- implying he's like an object that can be manipulated.

Or that he's incapable of taking a leak by himself. A nursing home or hospital patient, perhaps? If that's the case, then I recommend that Morrissey find himself a younger or more capable boy racer.

Well he clearly sings 'if you will allows it'. I quite like it as a quaint acknowledgement of love not being restricted to the intelligent - that's how I percieve it anyway. But who am I to say?

Soz, Rainy, but the lyrics on the RotT booklet say "your".

(I'll leave you alone now - it's just not your day. *pets you*)

The term is "participle abuse". I despair of having to correct my children in this matter. Sometimes their unsuspecting friends receive a lecture, too - and once, the head teacher of the village primary school. She was never the same with me afterwards....

I've never heard anyone abuse a participle like this. Maybe it's a British thing?

Alas, yes. :(

hoe-1272.jpg

2077-004.jpg

oh_shit-759720.jpg

"Stood at the urinal" is what most people say, whatever tense it is. Remember, Morrissey is singing it, not writing it in an academic essay.

Come to think of it, "long done do does did" has always bothered me a bit, too. Any theories?

They're thinking: "Pssst...Mr. Photographer...don't go! Things may look normal here but the minute you leave he'll kick us off the couch and subject us to Timi Yuro for hours on end".

I think he gains some perverse delight in mutilating the English language at times. Recall the recall the recent drum cover: "Some of us is getting nasty?" Or "we knows" when the school bus comes and goes.

I think he's just having a bit of fun.

Back
Top Bottom