Morrissey Central "Bonfire of teenagers" (February 7, 2024)

Bonfire of teenagers

d3fa529138538c23d753d6aa2c653d890ee74f31.jpg

SER IG story:
sam_esty_rayner_photography-20240207-0001.jpg

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Having self-financed the recording, Morrissey will have owned copyright on this album and only licensed it to Capitol for a set period of time (usually 10 years, but could be anything). Knowing how stingy with money he is, I'm wondering if he is preferring to wait for the licensing agreement to expire, rather than pay back his advance to buy it back. If this is the case, we could be in for a long wait.

While we have email evidence of how the Miley situation went down, it doesn't explain why Rebels still came out after the album looked like it'd been shelved.
I think, according to the explanation we got, there was a release date for the album (Feb 2023 as reported by Central, there's probably a thread or two about it here), the hold up was the Miley vocals and Morrissey would not budge. I think Vernonica was supposed to be the first single, but could not be, for obvious reason, so they released Rebels as the first single.

While we have email evidence of how the Miley situation went down, it doesn't explain why Rebels still came out after the album looked like it'd been shelved.
I've added a more updated timeline here:

You will see the album being announced as 'fully' shelved was after Rebels. What was going on in the background started before Rebels, but Capitol appear to have viewed their working relationship with Morrissey as viable when the song, via license, was released (1 month later - the parting ways was announced).
FWD.

Easy to get lost in this long and seemingly endless saga, isn’t it?
3 years have now passed since we first heard of the existence of a new Morrissey album in an interview with Chad Smith. Unbelievable.

"Miley's management and label asked for her not to be mentioned as a featured artist on Bonfire. You went ahead and did what you were asked not to do......."

He could have had her as an uncredited artist, he could have replaced her with someone else, he could have given Capitol their money back. What did he choose to do? tried to turn his fanbase against the CEO of Capitol records.

Last edited:
I've added a more updated timeline here:

You will see the album being announced as 'fully' shelved was after Rebels. What was going on in the background started before Rebels, but Capitol appear to have viewed their working relationship with Morrissey as viable when the song, via license, was released (1 month later - the parting ways was announced).
FWD.
Thanks @Famous when dead great work compiling that. What a sad tale when read in its entirety. Can't help but wonder... what happened between the Morrissey and Capitol in that month?

While I'm done holding my breath for any updates (Central would rather tease us than just give a coherent update)... I hope there is a happy ending and BOT sees the light of day.

Last edited:
I thought it was more about the fact he wanted her name featured on the single and album that caused the issue, not him merely stating her to be on Veronica
I think the orginal agreement is she was to be uncredited, but then Morrissey wanted to change that deal and spoke to his own management about it, who asked her record company and they said no, we are not allowing her to be credited on anything else at this time. So Morrissey said he would respect Miley's wishes, then he outed her at a show as the back up vocals in Veronica, thus breaking the deal and causing her record company to issue a cease and desist.

Wouldn’t it be nice to wake up tomorrow and see a headline on Central that says:

- - - - - - - - - -

BONFIRE RELIT & WITHOUT ME EVERYONE DIES

BOT - 04.22.24

WMTWD - 05.22.24 (TO FEATURE ADDITIONAL TWO TRACKS)

NEW BAND LINEUP: Alain Whyte, Boz Boorer, Gary Day, Famouswhendead, Morrissey

NEW TOUR MANAGER DETAILS TO FOLLOW. BYE JESSE!

I can dream.

Wouldn’t it be nice to wake up tomorrow and see a headline on Central that says:

- - - - - - - - - -

BONFIRE RELIT & WITHOUT ME EVERYONE DIES

BOT - 04.22.24

WMTWD - 05.22.24 (TO FEATURE ADDITIONAL TWO TRACKS)

NEW BAND LINEUP: Alain Whyte, Boz Boorer, Gary Day, Famouswhendead, Morrissey

NEW TOUR MANAGER DETAILS TO FOLLOW. BYE JESSE!

I can dream.
Yes it certainly would be

If such a thing happened I don't think he'd have two album releases so close together though, you don't want to cannibalize your own sales

I do hope that this Central post meant that Morrissey bought the rights for the albums, but there still hasn’t been no clarification so far. However, if the album is still shelved, what Moz could do is to re-record it again, and this way he would own all the masters. Taylor Swift did so with some of her back catalogue to have a control over her releases. So this could be an alternative solution. Even if it certainly would require more time and funds and trying to get the original BOT musicians to play on the record together again. This way he wouldn’t have issues with Miley’s label because obviously she wouldn’t be involved anymore. He could invite someone else or do his own backing vocals. The change of the producer would be better too. Partially autotuned Morrissey with compressed guitars sound really suppressed the beauty of his voice and the energy flow of music. Of course, initially Morrissey must have hoped for the label’s promo support, but with his fan base and money, he should self-release and pay someone with connections to handle the promo side. Anyway, I hope this story has a happy ending 🤞🏼

I do hope that this Central post meant that Morrissey bought the rights for the albums, but there still hasn’t been no clarification so far. However, if the album is still shelved, what Moz could do is to re-record it again, and this way he would own all the masters. Taylor Swift did so with some of her back catalogue to have a control over her releases. So this could be an alternative solution. Even if it certainly would require more time and funds and trying to get the original BOT musicians to play on the record together again. This way he wouldn’t have issues with Miley’s label because obviously she wouldn’t be involved anymore. He could invite someone else or do his own backing vocals. The change of the producer would be better too. Partially autotuned Morrissey with compressed guitars sound really suppressed the beauty of his voice and the energy flow of music. Of course, initially Morrissey must have hoped for the label’s promo support, but with his fan base and money, he should self-release and pay someone with connections to handle the promo side. Anyway, I hope this story has a happy ending 🤞🏼
Ignore Jesse's messages
Find new musicians
Phone Steve Lillywhite
Re-record BOT and Without Music while they are it
Select the best songs to propose a decent album
Choose a nice cover
Exile SER in St Helens
Release on indie label (if not self release)
Take time ( apart from SER)

they probably confuse Kendrick Lamar for A$AP Rocky, the latter said that Morrissey is "writing, producing and doing vocals" on his next album (still unreleased)
www.thefader.com/2021/05/19/asap-rocky-morrissey-new-album-all-smiles

This was restated elsewhere a few weeks ago:

This May [2024] will mark six years since the release of ASAP Rocky’s most recent full-length studio album, Testing. In the years since, fans have received no shortage of teases, sometimes in the form of live performances and sometimes in the form of Morrissey-referencing descriptions. Thanks to a recent Paris event, fans were given more of the former this month...

...It's not clear when we can expect Rocky's new album to arrive. In an interview with Jordan Rose for Complex last July, Rocky made a point to highlight the impact leaks have on an artist being able to carry out their vision as intended.

"These dummies got to stop leaking shit," he said at the time. "Every time, we have to go back to the drawing board, but right now I think it’s in a place where we tightened it up and we really can’t make or break anything right now."

As for Morrissey, Rocky told GQ back in 2021 that he and the ex-Smiths singer had been working together. This marks the fulfillment of a long-held goal for Rocky, who told Complex way back in 2018 that he was hoping to collaborate with Morrissey.

"I might have to f*** with Morrissey, on some Smiths shit," he said during a conversation with Peter Rosenberg. "Make some emo, real, retro-infused, motherf***in' 2018 shit, man."

Self-releasing has been discussed ad nauseum here and yes, it seems like it would solve many issues... but the simple fact is Morrissey doesn't want to do it.

Back
Top Bottom