British accents: northern and southern

the judge

Can you provide good examples of these two accents? Audio or video. Spoken word.
I'd like to see the difference between them.
My sources are quite poor (BBC World and music)

Music. I like how Morrissey sings, I like how Brett Anderson sings.
I've heard Greetings To The New Brunette by Billy Bragg and I love the way he pronounce the words (same with the two singers mentioned above).
And Alex Turner and Pete Doherty. All I can hear is that all these people have a "strong" kind of an accent but I can't distinguish one from another.

I don't know if you've understood my question, but thanks anyway

good question. i've kinda been wondering that myself.

I'm assuming its kinda similiar in the way we distinguish southern American accents to say, a NY accent? but yeah, since I'm not English i can't really tell the difference between British accents either.

hmm, well i can definitely pick out a Scottish accent. I find its ALOT harder to understand than an English accent. sounds like they have marbles in their mouths, haha. :p

I'm even harder to understand with marbles in my mouth or when i'm tea bagging.

I hope you didn't take offence.
Cockney? In Italy someone says Alex Turner is cockney :eek:
Irish?

I'm quite ignorant about these things

no offence taken, young lady. (you left out Northern Irish.)

Accents in singing -

Cockney - Chaz & Dave, Blur (actually that is a Mockney accent ie fake)
Scottish - The Proclaimers
Welsh - Catatonia
Manc - Oasis / Ian Brown / Frank Sidebottom / The Fall

Jukebox Jury

Accents in singing -Scottish - The Proclaimers
Welsh - Catatonia

You have numerous examples for areas as small as London & Manchester, and then only one each for Scotland and Wales.

The Proclaimers are from the east of Scotland. In music, the accents of Donovan, Bert Jansch, Franz Ferdinand, Belle & Sebastian, Edwyn Collins, Travis etc are closer to mine than them.

For Wales you could have had Tom Jones, Stereophonics, Manic Street Preachers, Lost Prophets etc as examples.

You have numerous examples for areas as small as London & Manchester, and then only one each for Scotland and Wales.

The Proclaimers are from the east of Scotland. In music, the accents of Donovan, Bert Jansch, Franz Ferdinand, Belle & Sebastian, Edwyn Collins, Travis etc are closer to mine than them.

For Wales you could have had Tom Jones, Stereophonics, Manic Street Preachers, Lost Prophets etc as examples.

Hmmm...I'm unable to recognize Welsh accent from those singers.

Thanks kind people. This is why I like solo.
I started listening to the link Morrissey the 23rd posted, very interesting...
Thanks for the music too.

see you later, lunch now

Cockney , Blur (actually that is

ha haha yeah right:p

london...phil daniels & the actress....interviewer scottish.

landon...

some nice welsh boys.

liddypool

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you provide good examples of these two accents? Audio or video. Spoken word.
I'd like to see the difference between them.
My sources are quite poor (BBC World and music)

Music. I like how Morrissey sings, I like how Brett Anderson sings.
I've heard Greetings To The New Brunette by Billy Bragg and I love the way he pronounce the words (same with the two singers mentioned above).
And Alex Turner and Pete Doherty. All I can hear is that all these people have a "strong" kind of an accent but I can't distinguish one from another.

I don't know if you've understood my question, but thanks anyway

Can ye provide guid examples ay these tois accents? audio ur video. spoken wuid. i'd loch tae see th' difference atween them. my soorces ur quite puir (bbc warld an' music) music. Ah loch hoo morrissey sings, Ah loch hoo brett anderson sings. i've heard greetings tae th' new brunette by billy bragg an' Ah loove th' way he pronoonce th' words (sam wi' th' tois singers mentioned above). ain alex turner an' pete doherty. aw Ah can hear is 'at aw these fowk hae a "strong" kin' ay an accent but Ah cannae distinguish a body frae anither. i dornt ken if yoo've understuid mah question, but slainte anyway

Can ye provide guid examples ay these tois accents? audio ur video. spoken wuid. i'd loch tae see th' difference atween them. my soorces ur quite puir (bbc warld an' music) music. Ah loch hoo morrissey sings, Ah loch hoo brett anderson sings. i've heard greetings tae th' new brunette by billy bragg an' Ah loove th' way he pronoonce th' words (sam wi' th' tois singers mentioned above). ain alex turner an' pete doherty. aw Ah can hear is 'at aw these fowk hae a "strong" kin' ay an accent but Ah cannae distinguish a body frae anither. i dornt ken if yoo've understuid mah question, but slainte anyway

did you write "Trainspotting"?

Back
Top Bottom