Chicago, IL - Civic Opera House (July 9, 2015) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

The Queen Is Dead / Suedehead / Alma Matters / Staircase At The University / Ganglord / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / Speedway / Kiss Me A Lot / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Scandinavia / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before / Yes, I Am Blind / Istanbul / First Of The Gang To Die / I Will See You In Far-Off Places / The Bullfighter Dies / Meat Is Murder / Now My Heart Is Full // What She Said

setlist provided by DrKeith

Last edited:
I don't know much about Morrissey, and yesterday was the first time I saw him in concert. It was not a great show, in my opinion. He hardly played anything I knew, and that's fine - if I were a fan and knew the stuff he did play, I might have been really happy with it (though my buddy who brought me was utterly disappointed, and he's a HUGE fan, particularly from The Smiths). For the most part, I thought the music was very good, but there were some technical things I didn't like. I've read people talking about the sound being great. I actually thought it was awful. At least in the beginning of the show. They may have made some adjustments as the show went on, or I may have gotten accustomed to it, but I was in the second row of the balcony, dead center, so the sound should have been very pure there. Another thing was the use of the lights. They would flash on piercingly bright. Instead of leaning forward and getting into the show, I was recoiling and protecting my eyes.

He basically used the giant video screen to any real effect two times. Once for "Ganglord" and a second time for "Meat Is Murder." His goal was clearly to shock and disturb, and in that regard, he succeeded. At least with me. I considered walking out during "Ganglord." I also considered going on stage and knocking him out. The videos he was showing of police brutality were so intense, I could barely handle it. He basically Donald Trumped the entire police force, saying that they were all cruel thugs who get off on beating defenseless victims. I was offended on behalf of all the good cops out there. I'd like to see him walk a beat in those neighborhoods, every day. See if he doesn't behave as deplorably as the cops he showed. I had to go online during the next song so I could read the lyrics and see if I had missed the point. I was glad to see that, to a degree, I had. But the videos were inexcusable.

Similarly with "Meat is Murder" - I get it. He doesn't like to see animals get killed, particularly in the cruel way we (the human race) sometimes do. The videos were at least as disturbing as "Ganglord"s, particularly the clip of the cow with his head locked into place while his neck was slit open - blood started spurting out and the cow started seizing. I don't know if that was the worst video because I had to avert my eyes a lot.

So, except for the still of the queen of England flicking everyone off, and the written words "United King-Dumb" beneath a still of Prince what's-his-name and Kate Middleton, the screen was basically used to show horror videos during those two songs and to show some picture of him and St. Vincent. I don't know. The show sucked. He wanted to shock? He shocked. So he shouldn't be shocked that I left it much less interested in him than I was when I walked in.
Just a honest opinion, I totally agree with those thoughts on both clips.

Last edited:
Low energy show, low energy set list, low energy crowd.

The Gang Lord video demonstrates Morrissey's ignorant political views. He's just so .... uneducated. He's f***ing clueless. #Embarrassing

If you're admitting that you're not even a fan, what are you doing on a Morrissey fansite? No one here cares about your opinion. Thanks.

I care about their opinion. I prefer to read the opinion of someone who is not as subjective as moz delusional fans :)

I think this set is really great, rembr when he was playing don't make fun of daddy's voice��o sweet jesus.im hoping he starts throwing Earth is the loniest planet in his set. Nevertheless very excited for the San Jose show. He seems healthy and having a good time on this tour

If you're admitting that you're not even a fan, what are you doing on a Morrissey fansite? No one here cares about your opinion. Thanks.

yeah half this review is about moz and the other half seems to be about the bummers of going into a show not know anything about what to expect

"His goal was clearly to shock and disturb, and in that regard, he succeeded. At least with me. I considered walking out during "Ganglord." I also considered going on stage and knocking him out."

Interesting that your reaction to video clips of police brutality is to defend the behavior and engage in some brutality of your own. Tells us more about you than it does Morrissey. Doubt he'll miss you walking out the door.

"His goal was clearly to shock and disturb, and in that regard, he succeeded. At least with me. I considered walking out during "Ganglord." I also considered going on stage and knocking him out."

Interesting that your reaction to video clips of police brutality is to defend the behavior and engage in some brutality of your own. Tells us more about you than it does Morrissey. Doubt he'll miss you walking out the door.

You are a big TWAT.

lol...not much self-awareness there on my part, and I'm sure he won't miss me walking out the door. However, my point about him Donald Trumping the entire police force with that video stands.

Having said that, i wasn't paying attention to the URL when i posted that review. i didn't realize i was posing onto a fan site. Slightly bad form on my part. i just googled reviews of the show because those videos bothered me so much that i felt like reading what others said. At the time i was searching, you guys were the first to have written anything. i hope those of you who will be seeing him again on this tour enjoy your experience.

You are a big TWAT.

Pogo on that you twat
image.jpg

Why did you miss the opportunity to use that. :rofl:

Stay on topic, do not insult other users outside the pigsty.

Thanks.

You have it out for me don't you? I insulted no one. I just said the Eric that if he was going to use the phrase twat then he had a great opportunity to reference brass eye. It's amazing that only I got a blip on your radar :rolleyes:

Don't even know what the twat argument is about

lol...not much self-awareness there on my part, and I'm sure he won't miss me walking out the door. However, my point about him Donald Trumping the entire police force with that video stands.

Having said that, i wasn't paying attention to the URL when i posted that review. i didn't realize i was posing onto a fan site. Slightly bad form on my part. i just googled reviews of the show because those videos bothered me so much that i felt like reading what others said. At the time i was searching, you guys were the first to have written anything. i hope those of you who will be seeing him again on this tour enjoy your experience.

That a very big and humble of you to stay nice when people are smashing your opinions. Thank you. I'm a Mozza fan, I'm probably slightly Moz-doctrinated, seen him twice in the last year in Europe, and got tickets for London gig in September. But I also don't wish to see a one-sided video on police brutality. Everything should be balanced, as there's always two sides.
MiM video I agree with, as people need to see what industrial farming is about, and take their own actions and form their own opinions.
Anyway, this isn't a 'preaching' post, just a thank you for humility and being decent in you reply.
Best wishes.

Finally! After being 0 for 6, He finally showed up! Being a fan in the Midwest has been tough the past 5 years. Cancellations in Minnesota, Chicago, Iowa, etc. I thought the day would never come where I would get to see the man live. And he did not disappoint. I traveled from St. Paul knowing the risk. And I was rewarded. His voice was so beautiful and crisp. "Chicago, Chicago, Chicago..." And Boom The Queen is Dead! I couldn't have asked for a better opening. I loved his new material live. It sounds much better than recorded. Staircase was a highlight for me and surprisingly, I will See You in Far Off Places (I never cared much for it, but seeing it live was fantastic). I was a little disappointed with the crowd, and Moz did not do much interacting. I tried to make my way down to the pit and join them but was thwarted twice and decided just to enjoy from my seat. Although I have no other Moz concert to compare it to, I wouldn't say there was no energy, but I expected a little more. I was seated 3rd row floor (behind pit) and The entire floor stood the whole show singing and clapping (not sure about balcony). I also was happy to see so many young fans. I just loved it. The band sounded so good. Really. It was a special night for me in a beautiful city, perfect venue, and to get to spend 90 minutes listening to such an influential figure in my life was amazing. Thanks for the night Moz.

Viva Morrissey.
Viva Chicago.

I will see you in the pit in St. Paul!

1 for 7

Last edited:
You have it out for me don't you? I insulted no one. I just said the Eric that if he was going to use the phrase twat then he had a great opportunity to reference brass eye. It's amazing that only I got a blip on your radar :rolleyes:

Don't even know what the twat argument is about

you're on the 'mocking list'. other user is 'protected'. keep the spirit. :love:

p.s. eric's replicas are often hilarious and entertaining :)

Overall great show, amazing venue. Really cool seeing a rock show after a full season of opera including the 4+ hour "Tannheuser." The World Peace songs seemed to underwhelm, and energy lagged even though he played the best songs off the album. He didn't seem very talkative or chatty, which was fine, and the setlist was phenomenal. But I agree with the others: The video for Gandlord just left a bad impression on me. I get it, I get it... Police are capable of immense cruelty, which Morrissey graphically pointed out. Never one for subtlety, but here especially he just hits people over the head with graphic, stereotypical, gratuitous violence. I felt sad after the song, feeling the show's energy got toned down about five notches. Otherwise, good show and Morrissey seemed in fine spirits.

I was at Thursday's show. Good time and brought two people who were new to Morrissey and they loved the show.
It seemed that they switched instruments for one number and it was sung in Spanish? Can any one fill me in?

I was at Thursday's show. Good time and brought two people who were new to Morrissey and they loved the show.
It seemed that they switched instruments for one number and it was sung in Spanish? Can any one fill me in?

It's actually the final part of Speedway. The lights go out and then the switch takes place with Gustavo Manzur taking center stage to finish the song.

Was anyone else really affected by all the images of police brutality that were shown during 'Ganglord?' I LOVE that song, but it made it difficult to enjoy it watching scene-after-scene of police officers kicking people in the head. Ugh, some of the police in this country are absolute monsters. The video compilation ended with an evil smile of one particular officer dressed in riot gear. Really freaky stuff...

I had no appreciation for the police brutality video nor the animal slaughter video. It's his show and he can do what he likes, but I didn't need to see that. I am well aware of these issues already.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom