Dream Pop and Shoegaze

Smashing Pumpkins just didn't do it for me. Nothing never clicked. The passed me by. Everyone else liked them. I guess they saw something I didn't. Some bands are like that.

I have to say I felt just like that about the Pumpkins first few albums ; when "Mellancollie and the Infinite Sadness" was selling bucket-loads worldwide , I was wondering why anyone thought those songs warranted a double album. It changed for me , however , after "Adore".

As you say , though, some bands are like that ... :)

If ever there was a band that needed their back catalogue re-mastered and then re-issued in a nice re-packaged box set, complete with rarities, b-sides and DVD then that needs to be done for Lush. I simply can't understand why it hasn't been done so far. "Sweetness and Light" is almost an anthem to dreampop.

Give it time; we're not alone in wanting this and Rhino records is usually good about coming to the rescue on such matters

Pale Saints, again another nice arty band. Not really dream pop expect for "The Sight Of You". Considering they too were on 4AD they seem to have sunk from view. I still maintain that The Heart Throbs needed to be added to any dream pop not Moose. All I can remember of Moose is the catchy pop song "Little Bird (are you happy in your cage)".

where do I start with The Heart Throbs?

Smashing Pumpkins, well Billy and some fellow backing musicans played in Auckland last week. I wouldn't cross the road to see Smashing Pumpkins. Can't stand that whiney, bald headed, un-important singer. I don't like them in the slightest. They should stay in the '90's. That's where he belongs.

Bwahahahahaha

you should post on Netphoria.org; you'd get along famously with those people!

A question for the shoegazing buffs - what's the story with the band Moose ? Worth listening to ? Is there one particularly good album of theirs ?

Oh , and I've officially decided I don't like The Jesus and Mary Chain. I tried Qvist's advice about "Some Candy Talking" but it just doesn't grip me .There isn't much at all in the way of melodies , vocal or instrumental. They remind me of drunk teenagers messing around in a bedroom with guitars and, once in a (long) while, randomly hitting upon a chord sequence worth capturing.

Fair enough. You gave it a shot, no one can ask for more.

yeah, any top "shoegaze" list I would also have to include a song by:
Lush, Mazzy Star, MBV and maybe even bands like Blonde Redhead & Smashing Pumpkins :eek:
especially if you include live tracks :cool:

I love Smashing Punkins (at least their first three), but I don't see how they're part of this crowd? I wouldn't connect them remotely with either dreampop or shoegazing. Love Blonde Redhead too, by the way. But Mazzy Star I find enormously overrated and quite, quite boring. although I don't dislike them to the point of not having bought their records. :)

Slowdive should reform. Mojave 5 are shit! What are they thinking??! :confused:

Any signs of a new My Bloody Valentine album?

But Mazzy Star I find enormously overrated and quite, quite boring. although I don't dislike them to the point of not having bought their records. :)

Oh man, her voice

HER VOICE.

I'd marry her for that voice alone

Slowdive should reform. Mojave 5 are shit! What are they thinking??! :confused:

Any signs of a new My Bloody Valentine album?

Mojave's first record was okay, but it was like pissing away everything that made them special after that. They're certainly no substitute for the almighty Slowdive

the new MBV album "is coming", according to K. Shields. He's been saying that for about six years now. I'm content with the remasters for the time-being

Smashing Pumpkins, well Billy and some fellow backing musicans played in Auckland last week. I wouldn't cross the road to see Smashing Pumpkins. Can't stand that whiney, bald headed, un-important singer. I don't like them in the slightest. They should stay in the '90's. That's where he belongs.

The other bands Robbie are fine.

I love Smashing Punkins (at least their first three), but I don't see how they're part of this crowd? I wouldn't connect them remotely with either dreampop or shoegazing. Love Blonde Redhead too, by the way. But Mazzy Star I find enormously overrated and quite, quite boring. although I don't dislike them to the point of not having bought their records. :)
been a few days, but I am pretty sure I was drunk when I wrote what you guys are responding to :squiffy:

Oh man, her voice

HER VOICE.

I'd marry her for that voice alone

Yeah, but that's just it though. Her voice is phenomenal, and she's beautiful, and the musicians are excellent, and it has a wonderful spaced and yet warm sound. Which is a good start. But it has no f***ing content. It's like watching a fire in a grate - it's wonderful, pleasing and calming, and it bores you senseless inside of two minutes. It's the sort of music I'd put on if I had people over and wanted to create a nice atmosphere that no one could possibly object to, and also wanted to make sure nobody really focussed on the music except perhaps to briefly note how nice it was. Just my personal opinion, of course. :)

the new MBV album "is coming", according to K. Shields. He's been saying that for about six years now. I'm content with the remasters for the time-being

Are the remasters anything special? I've got a feeling their new album will be made in a year or two. Lets hope!

Anyone heard of The Naked Souls? They're amazing!

it's wonderful, pleasing and calming, and it bores you senseless inside of two minutes. It's the sort of music I'd put on if I had people over and wanted to create a nice atmosphere that no one could possibly object to, and also wanted to make sure nobody really focussed on the music except perhaps to briefly note how nice it was. Just my personal opinion, of course. :)

That's so strange. I've never met anyone who felt that way about their music

guess it's hard for me to get my head around, since I can put their stuff on and let it ride for hours without getting tired of it.

Are the remasters anything special? I've got a feeling their new album will be made in a year or two. Lets hope!

Anyone heard of The Naked Souls? They're amazing!

they're great, but maybe read this review first before investing:

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/16605-isnt-anything-reissue-loveless-reissue-eps-1988-1991/

If you -- or anyone else, for that matter -- is jonesing for new MBV, you seriously need to check out Ringo DeathStarr. I'm serious, they're like the kindred spirits of MBV. Have a listen:

Last edited by a moderator:
That's so strange. I've never met anyone who felt that way about their music

guess it's hard for me to get my head around, since I can put their stuff on and let it ride for hours without getting tired of it.

Ha, I don't doubt it. Everybody loves them. And after all, what is there to dislike? Nothing. It's just that there's not really much there that isn't inherent in the package, so to speak. Singularly unambitious music that never attempts to reach beyond its comfort zone, which just makes it a bit dull to me. How would the music stand up if sung by an unexceptional singer? Well, not that there's much point in debating subjective experience and in a way that's a bit like asking how hendrix would sound if he was a mediocre guitarist, but I like my music to be more than a lovely voice and good production values, and frankly I don't think MS has much to offer on those terms. To say nothing of Hope Sandoval's solo stuff, which I find downright pointless.

Last edited:
The new single "Shadow" by Wild Nothing is pure dreampop/shoegaze. Yes it's all paint by numbers dream pop. Slightly asthmatic vocals, lush soft strings, etheral if you will, but it is sure doing it for me.

Might end up as my single of the year.

Back
Top Bottom