Dries Van Noten: "record curation by Jesse Tobias" (August 23, 2023)

Jesse_14Retouch.jpg

Jesse Tobias is a songwriter, guitarist, producer and music director that has been working in Los Angeles for the past 31 years. Hailing from Austin, Jesse moved to LA with his band Mother Tongue in 1992 and signed to Sony 550 records. Shortly after that he went on to play with The Red Hot Chili Peppers for a brief time. From there Jesse went on to play with Alanis Morrissette on her debut record’s Jagged Little Pill tour for the next few years. Jesse has worked as a music director and touring guitarist with such artists as Frente, Michelle Branch, Vanessa Carlton, Jason Falkner, Twillight Singers and Gutter Twins.

Jesse served as producer and music director on the celebrated cult classic musical episode Once More, with Feeling of the television show Buffy The Vampire Slayer. He was nominated for an Emmy Award for his work on the episode. Jesse also appeared on the show as a musical guest with his band Splendid several times. Jesse is currently the songwriter, guitarist and music director for Morrissey. Residing in Los Feliz California. He has co-written over 35 songs and played on 10 Morrissey studio records over the span of the last 20 years.

Songs chosen:

1 THE SUPREMES
Where Did Our Love Go

2 LINK WRAY
Link Wray

3 THE SOFT BOYS
Underwater Moonlight

4 THE GUN CLUB
Fire Of Love

5 DIZZY GILLESPIE
Afro

6 BRIAN ENO
Here Come The Warm Jets

7 THE CLEAN
Vehicle

8 MOONDOG
Moondog 2 (Extended Version - Remastered 2000)

9 LOU REED
Berlin

10 CASS MCCOMBS
Dropping The Writ

11 WIRE
Pink Flag (2006 Remastered Version)

12 TELEVISION
Adventure

13 LEO NOCENTELLI
Another Side

14 ARTHUR RUSSELL
Love is Overtaking Me

15 WAR
Why Can’t We Be Friends?

16 BAD BRAINS
Bad Brains

17 BUZZCOCKS
Love Bites

18 THE KINKS
Face to Face

19 JIMI HENDRIX
Electric Ladyland

20 CAROLE KING
Tapestry

8stitches9lives-24082023-0001.jpg

Bit of an oddity, but included as an insight to his musical taste.
Jesse chooses a playlist for a 'luxury' fashion brand.
What no Morrissey!?
Regards,
FWD.

so far on this thread we have had.
jesse has spycho eyes.
jesse has a boozers chin.
jesse has smelly feet.
jesse has terrible taste in music.
jesse has an evil look in his eyes.
all because jesse is in and alain is out.

yep. Truly pathetic.

dont forget...
jesse has tried to copy MOZ's taste in clothes
jesse has terrible guitar skills
jesse has terrible songwriting skills
jesse has tried to kick fans from stage
jesse has the personality of a prick
jesse has ruined MOZ's live band
jesse has made fans realize how much better Alain is!

BOOYAH!:rofl:
lets break this down for peoples amusement.
clothes-im sure jesses wardrobe would be better than yours and he is a middle age man.
guitar skills-hes been doing it for thirty years so he cant be that bad.
songwriting-well his songs with M contain some classics.
kicking fans-pity he missed you when he was swinging his boot.
a prick-you have never met him so how would you know.
ruined the band-has any current or previous band member came out and slagged off jesse.
alain is better-says who and how can you measure whether alain is better.

lets break this down for peoples amusement.
clothes-im sure jesses wardrobe would be better than yours and he is a middle age man.
guitar skills-hes been doing it for thirty years so he cant be that bad.
songwriting-well his songs with M contain some classics.
kicking fans-pity he missed you when he was swinging his boot.
a prick-you have never met him so how would you know.
ruined the band-has any current or previous band member came out and slagged off jesse.
alain is better-says who and how can you measure whether alain is better.
I could care less about his wardrobe, appearance or personality.
He sucks at guitar or is mediocre at best.
20 years with MOZ and only 35 co-writing credits.

His guitar tone sucks, it sounds like a chain saw buzzing. (go listen to any of his guitar solos)
there is no melodic color or dynamics just distorted power chord chugging and chain saw sounds.
There are many stories of him being a prick to fans.
I wish he would have tried to kick me from stage... I would have did us all a favor and pulled him right off the stage! :rofl:
jesse is so mediocre other musicians don't need to slag him off, his mediocre skills speak for its self.

Alain has much better guitar skills and it shows in his songwriting ability!
Alain knows how to use guitar effects properly to color his tone and accent melodic melodies and add dynamics. Don't forget his back up vocal contribution.

There is no need to measure anything because Alain's contribution to MOZ's song catalog speaks for its self! Alain has about 84 song writing credits and he didn't even have a consistent 20 year span with MOZ.

Your Arsenal has 8 of 10 songs written by Alain.
Right out the gate he already proved himself to be strong collaborator.

-Vauxhall has 6 out of 11 songs with credit to Alain.
-Southpaw has 6 out of 8 songs with credit to Alain.
-Maladjusted has 7 out of 11 songs with credit to Alain.
-Quarry has 8 out of 11 songs (+8 more if you count the deluxe edition) with credit to Alain.
-Ringleader has 6 out of 12 with credit to Alain.
-Years of Refusal has 5 out of 12 (+2 if you count the b-sides) with credit to Alain and he doesn't even play on the album.
-World with out music even has 4 out of 10 songs with credit to Alain compared to jesse's 2.

After Alain was out of the band, MOZ's music has gradually became less guitar driven.

If Alain wasn't better than jesse.. Moz wouldn't have written so many songs with him.
The crowd even cheered louder for Alain than Jesse on the last tours.

jesse skills or no skills doesn't have the output that Alain does.
he can't hold a candle to Alain!

I rest my case!
giphy.gif

The picture reminds me fleetingly of the cute Kindle logo. Presumably what he's wearing is by Van Noten. Artists and designers I know all use music for inspiration.

The bio says Jesse was in a band called Mother Tongue -
This eponymous major-label debut was also the last offering from Los Angeles groove rock outfit Mother Tongue. Most notable about this 1994 550 Music release is the dirty funk-rock guitar playing of Jesse Tobias. Tobias -- who was actually a member of the Red Hot Chili Peppers for a few days before the group drafted Dave Navarro -- eventually joined up with Alanis Morissette and toured with the singer in support of her mega-hit record, Jagged Little Pill. Tobias and his Mother Tongue bandmates slog their way through mostly average funk-tinged retro-rock on this release, eliminating any mystery as to why the guitarist quickly left the group to join Morissette before it was apparent that the songstress would become a success. Despite a few choice riffs courtesy of Tobias, Mother Tongue languishes in too many self-indulgent "jam" arrangements that go nowhere to be given any kind of recommendation. The group disbanded pretty quickly after Tobias' exit, as what little interest there might have been in the band must have been extinguished in all quarters shortly thereafter. - https://www.allmusic.com/album/mother-tongue-mw0000117601

There's Jesse about 1;50 manfully doing his bit to keep the ship afloat -

His ace contribution to Jagged Little Pill can be seen in this hopping video with lots of live footage -

Morrissey told a story way back then about meeting Alanis Morrissette and wishing to compliment her but being rudely brushed off. I saw her play in Dublin. Good. Not sure what's she's doing now.

Last edited:
I could care less about his wardrobe, appearance or personality.
He sucks at guitar or is mediocre at best.
20 years with MOZ and only 35 co-writing credits.

His guitar tone sucks, it sounds like a chain saw buzzing. (go listen to any of his guitar solos)
there is no melodic color or dynamics just distorted power chord chugging and chain saw sounds.
There are many stories of him being a prick to fans.
I wish he would have tried to kick me from stage... I would have did us all a favor and pulled him right off the stage! :rofl:
jesse is so mediocre other musicians don't need to slag him off, his mediocre skills speak for its self.

Alain has much better guitar skills and it shows in his songwriting ability!
Alain knows how to use guitar effects properly to color his tone and accent melodic melodies and add dynamics. Don't forget his back up vocal contribution.

There is no need to measure anything because Alain's contribution to MOZ's song catalog speaks for its self! Alain has about 84 song writing credits and he didn't even have a consistent 20 year span with MOZ.

Your Arsenal has 8 of 10 songs written by Alain.
Right out the gate he already proved himself to be strong collaborator.

-Vauxhall has 6 out of 11 songs with credit to Alain.
-Southpaw has 6 out of 8 songs with credit to Alain.
-Maladjusted has 7 out of 11 songs with credit to Alain.
-Quarry has 8 out of 11 songs (+8 more if you count the deluxe edition) with credit to Alain.
-Ringleader has 6 out of 12 with credit to Alain.
-Years of Refusal has 5 out of 12 (+2 if you count the b-sides) with credit to Alain and he doesn't even play on the album.
-World with out music even has 4 out of 10 songs with credit to Alain compared to jesse's 2.

After Alain was out of the band, MOZ's music has gradually became less guitar driven.

If Alain wasn't better than jesse.. Moz wouldn't have written so many songs with him.
The crowd even cheered louder for Alain than Jesse on the last tours.

jesse skills or no skills doesn't have the output that Alain does.
he can't hold a candle to Alain!

I rest my case!
giphy.gif
did you write that all by yourself,hatred is a terrible thing.
i rest my case on top of your case.

did you write that all by yourself,hatred is a terrible thing.
i rest my case on top of your case.
Why yes I did write it all by myself!

You asked how can we measure how Alain is better and I answered.
Why don't argue your case why Alain is not better than jesse if you think I'm wrong?

There is nothing hateful about the truth.
facts don't care about feelings.

You must me a new generation fan that knows nothing about MOZ's music.
It's just like this new generation to reduce everything to being hateful or violence when they can't accept truth or argue their point.

You have no case my dear so get under mine or argue your point.

BOOYAH!

giphy.gif

Why yes I did write it all by myself!

You asked how can we measure how Alain is better and I answered.
Why don't argue your case why Alain is not better than jesse if you think I'm wrong?

There is nothing hateful about the truth.
facts don't care about feelings.

You must me a new generation fan that knows nothing about MOZ's music.
It's just like this new generation to reduce everything to being hateful or violence when they can't accept truth or argue their point.

You have no case my dear so get under mine or argue your point.

BOOYAH!

giphy.gif
two words,,,,case closed.

two words,,,,case closed.case closed.
exactly, case closed.
The case of "Alain W. versus jesse t. and who is the better guitarist/songwriter?"

Alain is the winner unanimously.

Unfortunately with jesse still in MOZ's live band and Alain not... we the fans still lose.
No new singles, no new albums, no new record deal.

giphy.gif

I think the Jesse Tobias bashing is now an old trope that needs to be laid to rest. He may not be as deftly attuned to the groove of the band as Alain was but Morrissey's most recent album I Am Not A Dog On A Chain is his best album in ten years and Jesse co wrote most of the tracks on it.

I think the Jesse Tobias bashing is now an old trope that needs to be laid to rest. He may not be as deftly attuned to the groove of the band as Alain was but Morrissey's most recent album I Am Not A Dog On A Chain is his best album in ten years and Jesse co wrote most of the tracks on it.
Sadly I don't think it will ever stop until Alain comes back or Jesse leaves but it doesn't look like that will happen anytime soon. I'd also say with Boz gone it left more room for Jesse to finally dominate an album. I lean more on the Alain side of the fence, but I agree, I Am Not A Dog On A Chain was the best album since maybe Ringleader or Years Of Refusal but kinda feel it was down to the production.

Another obvious thing its that this "guitarist" doesn't feels comfortable in the band but can't leave M cause is his main or only income. Besides that he really struggles while playing the songs live, he really looks troubled playing.

Play with the Red Hot Chili Peppers for a “brief time”!!? Bwahaha try ONE DAY! Literally.

Well, don’t forget that Morrissey himself said Jesse is one of the best modern guitar players to exist. And he’s been with Morrissey for 20 years. Just because his style of playing isn’t your cup of tea (or copying Marr to a tee), doesn’t mean your hateful opinions are right.

Well, don’t forget that Morrissey himself said Jesse is one of the best modern guitar players to exist. And he’s been with Morrissey for 20 years. Just because his style of playing isn’t your cup of tea (or copying Marr to a tee), doesn’t mean your hateful opinions are right.

giphy.gif

The case is closed!
Nothing hateful about the truth except the hate from those who refuse to accept it.
Remember 20 years and only 35 co writes vs Alain's 84.
It took almost 20 years for jesse to dominate an album and like vinceevert said... thats only because BOZ left. :rofl:

MOZ also said Bonfire would be released in 2022.
MOZ also said we would be getting re-releases of Ringleader, Southpaw, Quarry, Years of Refusal, World Peace.
The point is MOZ says alot of things.

the facts are the facts... its not my opinion.

You new gen fans should really do your homework and read liner notes and song writing credits.
Go back and watch all the videos from MOZ's golden years!
If you only discovered MOZ in the last 15 or 20 years you have really missed out and haven't seen or heard anything!

alain you were good in your time but sadly that time is over,saddest thing of all is that people on here wont accept it.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom