Favourite English Comedies

Easily the best show ever = Spaced! :D:guitar::cool:

spaced.jpg

i am pretty sure i have loved everthing simon pegg has ever done :)
he will probably be the best part of
peggscotty.jpg

Steptoe & Son, Porridge, Citizen Smith, The Carry On's, Bless This House, On The Buses, Hi De Hi, Rising Damp, Please Sir......

All classic comedies about working class life.....
then the Good Life and To The Manor Born came around and all of a sudden every comedy went middle class.... and far, far less funny and even less relevant.....

Jukebox Jury

what, so you're saying that comedy should be restricted to social class?
i think you're very much mistaken - british comedy is based upon the observation and deconstruction of character across all social classes. saying that a comedy that appeals to the working classes is more relevant than one that appeals to the middle and upper classes is ridiculous and ignorant.

i am pretty sure i have loved everthing simon pegg has ever done :)
he will probably be the best part of
peggscotty.jpg

I agree. I can't wait for that film to come out simply because Pegg will be in it. I adore him. :sweet:

The Office
Knowing Me Knowing You/I'm Alan Partridge
One Foot In The Grave
The Royle Family
Extras
Peep Show

Australian - Kath and Kim is genius, and Summer Heights High is an absolute godsend, very very funny.

American - it has to be The Simpsons/Family Guy/Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Doesn't Monty Pythons flying circus count or why hasn't it been mentioned at least a hundred times?

what, so you're saying that comedy should be restricted to social class?
i think you're very much mistaken - british comedy is based upon the observation and deconstruction of character across all social classes. saying that a comedy that appeals to the working classes is more relevant than one that appeals to the middle and upper classes is ridiculous and ignorant.

No I'm not saying that at all, what I was saying is the comedies that are based around nice middle class families are simply not funny. Tell me one that is, please.

Jukebox Jury

Last edited:
No one mentioned Not Only But Also!?

Last edited by a moderator:
No I'm not saying that at all, what I was saying is the comedies that are based around nice middle class families are simply not funny. Tell me one that is, please.

Jukebox Jury

i think the show outnumbered is hilarious and disgustingly well written. that's based around a middle class family.

that is probably one of the finest sketches of all time. i love the pete and dud sketches, dud cracking up makes me laugh so hard.

It is fantastic, the 'Bloody Greta Garbo' one is also if only for the:

DUD: I felt a hand on my cheek
PETE: What cheek was that, Dud?

I should also add to this thread, The New Statesman.

Jukebox Jury

Well, for one, comedies written about 'nice' families from any social class are not typically funny in the sense of British comedy - a comedy that is built around self deprication, uncomfortable situations and irony - 'qualities' that the majority of 'nice middle class' families don't have, thus making them 'unfunny'.

The Office is a comedy written about the workplace of a typically middle-class office environment, yet is one of the funniest comedies in history.

One Foot in The Grave - a typically middle class elderly couple, again one of the most successful and brilliant comedies in recent history.

i think the show outnumbered is hilarious and disgustingly well written. that's based around a middle class family.

I must agree on this one - the quality of the writing on Outnumbered is spectacularly good, and they allow the kids to ad-lib, which adds to the greatness of it.

Peter

i mentioned it. someone else did too. maybe it's just not to everyone's taste.

those three shows are your two favourites? wacky. and there were two alan partridge series. which one?

Aw man, I cannot count :o
My favourite Alan Partridge is Series 1...just amazing!

Love PTxx.

I must agree on this one - the quality of the writing on Outnumbered is spectacularly good, and they allow the kids to ad-lib, which adds to the greatness of it.

Peter

yeah, the kids' dialogue is amazing. the little girl, karen, just cracks me up constantly.

Allo Allo
You rang m'lord?
Jeeves and Woster
Love Soup
Monty Python

Back
Top Bottom