Fiona Dodwell: "How Morrissey outran The Smiths (and why his critics will never admit it)" (February 18, 2021)

1_rVMgi2j7_fn70rcypLXkLg.jpeg

How Morrissey outran The Smiths (and why his critics will never admit it)

Excerpt:

"There’s an emergence of voices rising from the rotting grave of political correctness lately, in a feeble attempt to somehow make Morrissey’s art into nothing more than a shadow of The Smiths. In reality though, to many, he was the beating heart of the much-loved 80s quartet and unlike his bandmates, he became so much more.
There are many voices online using the tired old trope, “I won’t listen to Morrissey because I don’t agree with his views, but I’ll always have The Smiths.” If this sentiment were limited only to the dull echo chambers of anonymous social media users, it might not be so bad. Yet it does not stop there."

Regards,
FWD.

Now linked to by Central:

Seen a lot on Twitter etc about this.
For someone who was 15 when they first discovered The smiths , they will be my favourite band of all time and nothing will change that.
If you discovered Morrissey later in life then fair enough , you may well prefer his stuff over The smiths.
What is indisputable in my eyes is that with no Johnny Marr there would be no Morrissey and without Morrissey there would be no Johnny Marr.
They both had the best of each other and The smiths will define them .

I've stayed loyal to both Moz and Marr since , but nothing will equal The Smiths. I simply cannot consider I am not a dog on a chain (the song ) or Scandinavia with Rusholme ruffians or Unhappy Birthday (as examples of album tracks)

I saw Moz at Leeds last year 2/3 full - if the Smiths reformed ( which i accept they won't and i'm not sure i'd want them to ) they'd sell out at least 2 nights there.

Not sure why it needs to be an argument to be honest.

Most people learn from their mistakes but Morrissey seems to struggle with that. After the Walters comment in 17, he then went on to show support for Tommy Robinson, a well known racist. That had a bigger impact in Manchester than the Anne Marie Walters support and led to the cancellation of his 2 night stint at Castlefield Bowl after he only sold 4k out of the 16k tickets available.

It was a passing remark about the way trials are covered. He's never mentioned him before or since.

He's had so many scandals, I don't think he sees the point in trying to work out what's taboo. They'd get him for something.

It was a passing remark about the way trials are covered. He's never mentioned him before or since.

He's had so many scandals, I don't think he sees the point in trying to work out what's taboo. They'd get him for something.

His actual words were - “It’s very obvious that Labour or the Tories do not believe in free speech … I mean, look at the shocking treatment of Tommy Robinson.”

A massive error of judgement from Morrissey which led to the mass boycott and subsequent canceling of his 2 Castlefield Bowls gigs, which should have been a triumphant homecoming.

His actual words were - “It’s very obvious that Labour or the Tories do not believe in free speech … I mean, look at the shocking treatment of Tommy Robinson.”

A massive error of judgement from Morrissey which led to the mass boycott and subsequent canceling of his 2 Castlefield Bowls gigs, which should have been a triumphant homecoming.

I know what his actual words were. Tommy had been arrested for vlogging the trial. He was claiming he was being silenced about it as part of a political cover-up.

There had actually been a previous cover-up, so it wasn't entirely implausible.

If the situation had been dealt with properly then Tommy wouldn't have the space to exploit it.

I think the general public in someway should be held accountable for what they say,
and as much as I want to disagree with myself, there’s something that tells me that artists really shouldn’t be or can’t really be held responsible for what they say, especially when it comes to political concerns.

I mean, do we look to Biden or
politicians to talk to us with authority on matters of the heart?

:cool:
So... the average Joe, without a soap-box should be held to account for what they say but a person in a position of influence shouldn’t?

You are an absolute WHACK-JOB.

Random question, but whatever happened to superfan of yesteryear Julia Riley? Did she tune out when Morrissey's tune changed, or just lost interest, or what?

No convoluted joke answers, por favor.
I don't know what happened to Julia Riley. She used to run the fan site "True To You". From what I understand she was a wealthy lady she had inheritance money or something like that. I heard that she might of gone through her inheritance money. Maybe she could no longer afford to go on the Morrissey tours?

I don't think it is anything to do with Morrissey's political views as to why she is no longer around. I hope she is well.

I felt that there were people jealous of Julia Riley in the same way that people are now jealous of Fiona Dodwell.

I know what his actual words were. Tommy had been arrested for vlogging the trial. He was claiming he was being silenced about it as part of a political cover-up.

If the situation had been dealt with properly then Tommy wouldn't have the space to exploit it.

Wow, impressive! You're like Morrissey's very own Kayleigh McEnany!

The whole country knows Robinson is a racist and he broke the law when he filmed what was going on. There was no need for Morrissey's comment and I would like to think he bitterly regrets what he said as it caused a massive boycott of those Manchester gigs.

The whole country knows Robinson is a racist and he broke the law when he filmed what was going on. There was no need for Morrissey's comment and I would like to think he bitterly regrets what he said as it caused a massive boycott of those Manchester gigs.

No - there was actually quite a lot of discussion about the reporting restrictions around grooming gang trials - & in several other trials newspapers successfully overturned the court's decision.

This is the first example I could find - but I know The Guardian had a couple overturned.

I don't know what happened to Julia Riley. She used to run the fan site "True To You". From what I understand she was a wealthy lady she had inheritance money or something like that. I heard that she might of gone through her inheritance money. Maybe she could no longer afford to go on the Morrissey tours?

I don't think it is anything to do with Morrissey's political views as to why she is no longer around. I hope she is well.

I felt that there were people jealous of Julia Riley in the same way that people are now jealous of Fiona Dodwell.
I believe Morrissey has had Julia pinned and mounted...
Like a butterfly...

I just love these Annons Karen...
Waltzing on here with their stupidity....
I’m in the mood for some serious Arse kicking tonight....

And it’s not like you to use vulgar language...... have you run out of gin

Julia Riley and Fiona Dodwell have absolutely nothing in common. There were actual reasons for some to be jealous of Julia. In Fiona's case, there are none.

Do I continually criticise Morrissey? If you cast your mind back you will find that I liked his last album and attended his last Birmingham gig.

I do criticise when he spouts crap that I don't like.
@Radis Noir

Then we both agree that (as I already said) that you do criticize Morrissey. But, I guess you still can’t answer or explain how the criticisms by you and the few others here will either change Morrissey or benefit the world. I assume that you and the others must have some goal in mind? I mean, it’s hard to imagine that people would come on here with such criticisms continually for no reason because that would be futile and pointless, no?

Let’s not forget you said “Most people learn from their mistakes but Morrissey seems to struggle with that.” So if you believe Morrissey will never learn, how are you going to change that? Do you and the others think that your opinions will do that? I’m simply curious, and really would like to understand.

I just love these Annons Karen...
Waltzing on here with their stupidity....
I’m in the mood for some serious Arse kicking tonight....

And it’s not like you to use vulgar language...... have you run out of gin

I do need a gin.

Ach, I've been involved in raging fights political discussions all day & I'm in a terrible mood.

So... the average Joe, without a soap-box should be held to account for what they say but a person in a position of influence shouldn’t?

You are an absolute WHACK-JOB.

Twitter, blogs,etc are their ‘soap-box’. Duh.

And if Morrissey is able to have a negative influence over you...
then you’re the wack job.
Because only a wack job would take advice on politics from a pop star.

NEXT!

:tiphat:

This one is desperate for Morrissey’s attention.
Sad. I simply refuse to read.
The first comment is the best comment.
She was unheard of until recently and it’s embarrassing just how desperate she is for attention.
fiona, please go away, you’re embarrassing yourself. You probably don’t even own a Morrissey album, and have probably never seen him on stage !!!

I do need a gin.

Ach, I've been involved in raging fights political discussions all day & I'm in a terrible mood.
I’m having my second real ale , feet up now and watching top of the pops from 1990....
And just remembered , it was at this point in my life when I decided to stop watching it.....
After seeing Timmy Mallet and Sonia..... 🤮🤮🤮🤮
It was ok last week when Moz was the highest new entry at no6 with play boys....
A week in pop is a long time Karen...

Tags
fiona dodwell
Back
Top Bottom