For those who've heard it, how do you now rate Years of Refusal?

How do you rate Years of Refusal?

• Total voters
It will be very interesting to see how this album charts in the UK or anywhere else for that matter, I've now played it 12 times and still nothing pulls me in, maybe once I have the actually CD in my hands, LOL.

probably 1 or 2 or 3, then catapult down to 38 to never be seen again.

He can write and collaborate well with "ballads" but with faster songs, he seems a little lost...

I think that's true, but I think that's always been the case. I never much cared for the Smiths "rockers" either. I think Morrissey's voice and singing style is just better suited to ballads and mid-tempo songs.

I'm not going to rank it, because I think it's far too early. All I'll say is that both Quarry and ROTT had two songs apiece I couldn't stand even though I liked those albums overall, and in the case of ROTT, loved. This doesn't have one song I can't stand, I'm even warming to That's How People Grow Up in context. I also think this album will be stunning live, so much so that I'm already anticipating my disappointment at the songs I don't get to see him play.

I'm not going to rank it, because I think it's far too early. All I'll say is that both Quarry and ROTT had two songs apiece I couldn't stand even though I liked those albums overall, and in the case of ROTT, loved. This doesn't have one song I can't stand, I'm even warming to That's How People Grow Up in context. I also think this album will be stunning live, so much so that I'm already anticipating my disappointment at the songs I don't get to see him play.

I'm not going to rank it, as I think it's far too early. All I will say is that both Quarry and ROTT had two songs apiece that I couldn't stand, even though I liked Quarry and loved ROTT. This album has no song I feel like that about, I'm even warming to That's How People Grow Up in context. I do believe this album will be stunning live, so much so that I'm already anticipating my disappointment at the songs I won't get to see him play.

I think that's true, but I think that's always been the case. I never much cared for the Smiths "rockers" either. I think Morrissey's voice and singing style is just better suited to ballads and mid-tempo songs.

Well in he has called himself a "crooner" so that would make sense.

A couple of thoughts I have had on YOR:

"I'm Ok By Myself" sounds like, if it does get played on tour, it could be the show ending song prior to the first encore.

Will "You Were Good In Your Time", if played on tour, take the place of "Pigsty" prior to "How Soon Is Now?" so that he can crumple onto the floor and have a light snooze prior to "How Soon" cranks up?

"It's Not Your Birthday" is the "Camden" of YOR.

My least favorite is "One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell" because it has too much drumming, and I don't care for the "...and when I die I want to go to hell" line. Lyrics like that just don't appeal to me.

When on "Skull" he sings "Don't give any more", what are the back up guys singing? Are they saying "more", or just some utterance, like "uh"?

Does the album title get it's life from the "I'm OK By Myself" song, with lyrics like, "I don't need you...and never have"

Does the album picture fit the album's songs?
For me it doesn't fit and neither does the font. The font seems to "groovy" for the sound of this album.
For me the cover image should have been of Morrissey facing forward but with his right hand behind out behind him in a "stop" or "talk to the hand pose" with cloaked, faceless people further behind "offering " him things, like a child, for instance. Another holding out one of those little pillows that a wedding ring bearer carries to the wedding couple, with rings on the pillow. Another holding out a Bible to him; another holding out a plate of (fake) meat. Him refusing the things society esteems. You get the idea.

So. After a while now..I still haven't downloaded it, and am extremely proud of myself :D But I have been reading all your comments and I hope I can last...:) Its the suspense, lads!

It will be very interesting to see how this album charts in the UK or anywhere else for that matter, I've now played it 12 times and still nothing pulls me in, maybe once I have the actually CD in my hands, LOL.

You've listened to it 12 times and nothing pulls you in? Lol mate if you've listened to it 12 times already you're already in :)

his best since Southpaw i think. no instant, mandatory skippers like the last 3 albums and a good flow between songs

all the previously heard songs are great (yes, even THPGU...especially THPGU) and the new ones are excellent to damn good. Birthday has a Smashing Pumpkins vibe, but builds well. Carol is slightly gimmicky and a little jokey, but probably the best lyrics on the album...all good stuff

although Vauxhal is my fave, i like his harder songs the most and this one's rockin! the rhythm section in the current line up is amazing! i hope he doesn't scare 'em off too soon

I voted "It's one of the worst (bottom 3) solo albums"
Years Of Refusal left me feeling almost indifferent... which is something I'd never imagine myself saying about new Morrissey album :eek::tears:
I liked Goodbye Will Be Farewell, Paris and the last 3 songs. But there was not one song that I instantly LOVED... Usually there's at least one or two songs... :(
(Birthday didn't impress me...)
To me, Ringleader was much more interesting than YOR... Perhaps Morrissey needs new inspiration in his life...:o

I rarely post here these days, which is a reflection of my indifference to Moz's recent musical output. I am still very much a fan, but in flicking through my iPod the other day I realised that only three tracks from YATQ have survived periodic culls (IBEH, Come Back To Camden, You Know I Wouldn't Last), and now only Life Is A Pigsty remains from ROTT. I have more tracks from Kill Uncle on my iPod than from Moz's last two albums.

I've had Years Of Refusal on there for three days now, and the simple truth is that it's going to do well to survive until the album's release date.

I am so underwhelmed by this album that it's almost upsetting.

One thing I will say is that he's in great voice - Something Is Squeezing My Skull in particular has an excellent vocal - but the songs are just rubbish. At first I was quite excited by the sound of It's Not Your Birthday Anymore, but four listens later the intrigue has worn off and I'm left with what's essentially a U2 song. Beautiful Day mk 2 anyone? On first listen I was stunned to find myself thinking that All You Need Is Me could be the best thing on it, which is damning with the faintest praise imaginable. An average, 8 month old (by the time YoR comes out) single that shouldn't be on the album is one of the better tracks on it. f***ing hell.

I've been saying it for a few years now - I've enjoyed Moz's commercial renaissance far more than I've enjoyed his music in recent years. This is a real low though. It's not growing on me in the slightest, and I'd go so far as to say that it's the worst album he's ever been involved with. Kill Uncle and Maladjusted at least had a few decent tracks.

So far this century, I don't think he's yet managed to record an album's-worth of decent material. I just scribbled a list, and there's about 8 songs I think are at least pretty good. 9 if I really force myself to pick a track from Years Of Refusal. I don't really expect career heighs these days, but the difference between the best bits of The Sound Of The Smiths which I had on at the weekend and this is seriously scary.

And somebody really needs to ban him from referring to QCs in songs. It's f***ing embarrassing.

So, so underwhelmed.

Okay, I'm on my 20th listen or so (had it on repeat for the last two days) and I like it more than I initially did, but I'm still dismayed by the fact that there isn't a standout track on the album. No "Life Is A Pigsty" or "Trouble Loves Me". Not even an "I'm Not Sorry". It's definitely not one of his best albums - it's somewhere flopping about the middle, far superior to the likes of Southpaw and Kill Uncle, but not anywhere near the lofty heights of Vauxhall or Viva Hate. Here are my thoughts on the songs, for what they aren't worth:

1) Something Is Squeezing My Skull
I never was terribly impressed by the live version of this song, but this studio version is very good. I can totally relate to the lyrics too as someone who's been on some combination of anti-depressants since 1994. "It's a miracle I even made it this far" - so true. I actually said, "Don't give me any more new drugs" after they tried lithium on me and it made me violently ill, so yeah, I think this is probably my theme song.

2) Mama Lay Softly On The Riverbed
Another song that did not impress me live, but I really love this studio version. Especially the chorus of "Life is nothing much to lose/It's just so lonely here without you." The lyrics in the verse annoy me though - complaining about the legal system has become the most tedious cliché in the modern Morrissey canon. I always find Morrissey much more fascinating when he sings about his past rather than his present.

3) Black Cloud
Musically and lyrically tedious, with a dull melody to boot. This is the "On The Streets I Ran" of the album.

4) I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris
Hello, Gorgeous. Musically, the best song on the album, and one of Morrissey's loveliest melodies, but it still feels half-written. If Morrissey would only have added a third verse and a proper ending, it might have been a masterpiece, but as it is, it is a bit frustrating. A lost opportunity.

5) All You Need Is Me
What sort of lousy intro is that, anyway? It's like the band was sitting around trying to figure out how to begin and the bassist just started twiddling his thumb out of boredom and the rest of the band said, "Oh, okay, we're starting then?" and joined in. This song has never interested me. The lack of melody on the verses is astounding and musically this is among the least interesting songs on the album. I do like the "You don't like me but you love me/Either way you're wrong/You're gonna miss me when I"m gone" lines but they come too little, too late to save this plodding dud.

6) When Last I Spoke To Carol
An excellent song - the best of the "new" ones. The title reminds me of Joni Mitchell and I love the lyrics. "I have hung on, I have edged/Along this narrow ledge" - great stuff. I like the theory it's about Kristeen Young - thinking of Morrissey singing, "I can't pretend I feel love for you" to her pasty face makes me smile. Excellent drumming too - I do agree that this album is Matt Walker's tour de force. I don't care for the horns though, but I can deal.

7) That's How People Grow Up
Horrible. One of the worst songs Morrissey has ever written. No discernible melody and awful, plodding music. This is the "I Just Want To See The Boy Happy" of this album.

8) One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell
I love this song but the intro is ill-conceived and removing the horn intro dulls it further. Another gorgeous melody from Mozzer, but, again, it sounds unfinished. Some of the lyrics don't work for me either - especially, "I have been thinking/What with? My final brain cell". Poor. He could have tried a bit harder to come up with a rhyme there. And the slowdown ending is grating. Another lost opportunity. A better producer would have worked wonders with this song and with Paris, but alas...

9) It's Not Your Birthday Anymore
It's okay, but certainly not worthy of the raves some people have given it. I couldn't even pay attention to the lyrics - I kept losing my train of thought afer the first line and the next thing I know it's the end of the song and I haven't noticed what the song is about. I finally had to look at the lyric sheet to force myself to pay attention to them. And, although I can appreciate the sentiments, I'm not particularly fond of them - especially the love-giving on the floor part. Shudder.

10) You Were Good In Your Time
Snooooooze.................... Sorry, I fell asleep there. Was there anything interesting going on? Let me check the lyric sheet.... Hmmmm, those are actually really interesting lyrics. Too bad the song is such a snoozer. And what's up with that ending? Yes, I get it, the person died. And death is really, really boring. But the song is boring enough without a long fade out of nothing.

11) Sorry Doesn't Help
I like the line "Sorry will not bring my teen years back to me" because, you know, I can relate to that... but that's about it. Another boring song, musically and lyrically.

12) I'm OK By Myself
Another humdrummer with Moz-cliché lyrics. Boring musically as well. A tedious way to end the album.

So, what is it that people hear that make them think this is such a great album, anyway?

Okay, I'm on my 20th listen or so (had it on repeat for the last two days) and I like it more than I initially did, but I'm still dismayed by the fact that there isn't a standout track on the album. No "Life Is A Pigsty" or "Trouble Loves Me". Not even an "I'm Not Sorry". It's definitely not one of his best albums - it's somewhere flopping about the middle, far superior to the likes of Southpaw and Kill Uncle, but not anywhere near the lofty heights of Vauxhall or Viva Hate. Here are my thoughts on the songs, for what they aren't worth:

1) Something Is Squeezing My Skull
I never was terribly impressed by the live version of this song, but this studio version is very good. I can totally relate to the lyrics too as someone who's been on some combination of anti-depressants since 1994. "It's a miracle I even made it this far" - so true. I actually said, "Don't give me any more new drugs" after they tried lithium on me and it made me violently ill, so yeah, I think this is probably my theme song.

2) Mama Lay Softly On The Riverbed
Another song that did not impress me live, but I really love this studio version. Especially the chorus of "Life is nothing much to lose/It's just so lonely here without you." The lyrics in the verse annoy me though - complaining about the legal system has become the most tedious cliché in the modern Morrissey canon. I always find Morrissey much more fascinating when he sings about his past rather than his present.

3) Black Cloud
Musically and lyrically tedious, with a dull melody to boot. This is the "On The Streets I Ran" of the album.

4) I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris
Hello, Gorgeous. Musically, the best song on the album, and one of Morrissey's loveliest melodies, but it still feels half-written. If Morrissey would only have added a third verse and a proper ending, it might have been a masterpiece, but as it is, it is a bit frustrating. A lost opportunity.

5) All You Need Is Me
What sort of lousy intro is that, anyway? It's like the band was sitting around trying to figure out how to begin and the bassist just started twiddling his thumb out of boredom and the rest of the band said, "Oh, okay, we're starting then?" and joined in. This song has never interested me. The lack of melody on the verses is astounding and musically this is among the least interesting songs on the album. I do like the "You don't like me but you love me/Either way you're wrong/You're gonna miss me when I"m gone" lines but they come too little, too late to save this plodding dud.

6) When Last I Spoke To Carol
An excellent song - the best of the "new" ones. The title reminds me of Joni Mitchell and I love the lyrics. "I have hung on, I have edged/Along this narrow ledge" - great stuff. I like the theory it's about Kristeen Young - thinking of Morrissey singing, "I can't pretend I feel love for you" to her pasty face makes me smile. Excellent drumming too - I do agree that this album is Matt Walker's tour de force. I don't care for the horns though, but I can deal.

7) That's How People Grow Up
Horrible. One of the worst songs Morrissey has ever written. No discernible melody and awful, plodding music. This is the "I Just Want To See The Boy Happy" of this album.

8) One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell
I love this song but the intro is ill-conceived and removing the horn intro dulls it further. Another gorgeous melody from Mozzer, but, again, it sounds unfinished. Some of the lyrics don't work for me either - especially, "I have been thinking/What with? My final brain cell". Poor. He could have tried a bit harder to come up with a rhyme there. And the slowdown ending is grating. Another lost opportunity. A better producer would have worked wonders with this song and with Paris, but alas...

9) It's Not Your Birthday Anymore
It's okay, but certainly not worthy of the raves some people have given it. I couldn't even pay attention to the lyrics - I kept losing my train of thought afer the first line and the next thing I know it's the end of the song and I haven't noticed what the song is about. I finally had to look at the lyric sheet to force myself to pay attention to them. And, although I can appreciate the sentiments, I'm not particularly fond of them - especially the love-giving on the floor part. Shudder.

10) You Were Good In Your Time
Snooooooze.................... Sorry, I fell asleep there. Was there anything interesting going on? Let me check the lyric sheet.... Hmmmm, those are actually really interesting lyrics. Too bad the song is such a snoozer. And what's up with that ending? Yes, I get it, the person died. And death is really, really boring. But the song is boring enough without a long fade out of nothing.

11) Sorry Doesn't Help
I like the line "Sorry will not bring my teen years back to me" because, you know, I can relate to that... but that's about it. Another boring song, musically and lyrically.

12) I'm OK By Myself
Another humdrummer with Moz-cliché lyrics. Boring musically as well. A tedious way to end the album.

So, what is it that people hear that make them think this is such a great album, anyway?

All job applications should be submitted to the NME themselves, not indirectly on message boards.

All job applications should be submitted to the NME themselves, not indirectly on message boards.

You'd best stop patting yourself on your back before you wear a hole through your spine.

No, you know what? This really pisses me off. I love discussing Morrissey, but people like you just make it miserable. Why do I even bother to try? f*** you and f*** this board. I'll save my thoughts for my own websites.

Last edited:
You'd best stop patting yourself on your back before you wear a hole through your spine.

No, you know what? This really pisses me off. I love discussing Morrissey, but people like you just make it miserable. Why do I even bother to try? f*** you and f*** this board. I'll save my thoughts for my own websites.

Don't let a lame post like that get you all wound up. It was that users 3rd post. Lets all pray that this users future posts are as enlightening and entertaining.
Your review was practically spot-on by the way.

I've been a bit down on the Moz during this last year or so on this forum. I've been roundly booed as I suggested that ROTT was 90% filler and that his current band were pub rock wanabees. Imagine my surprise when I listened to the new album and was blown away by how shockingly good it is. Glorious even. And there I was ready to hate it. Shurely shome mishtake as what Sir Sean might have uttered in a Bond film.

Once I'd picked myself up from the floor admidst repeated listenings I really do think this is the best thing Moz has done since V&I. A bold statement, but in parts this album really is that good. The instrumentation on the album could be the best yet for a solo album as there are some lovely textures on there. The acoustic break in the middle of Black Cloud being a good example of the variety. Lots of well placed keyboards and effects all contribute to a lovely soundscape (o-er missus!).

We also get some songs that veer away from the 4/4 guitar pattern. The Last I time spoke to Carol for example. Absolutely glorious stuff. The highpoint of the album. Plus Moz's singing seems to be more in his range as he's not strainging for those difficult notes like he was on ROTT. A nice selection of lyrics, my favourite being "when I die I want to go to hell". Okay, the last couple of tracks I'm still trying to get into and the bass playing isn't that great on the album but that's me being very picky. Plus I've excluded AYNIM and THPGU as I don't really think they should be on the album in the first place.

When Morrissey said Jerry Finn was his ideal producer he wasn't wrong. A fitting epitaph to the man. Can't wait to hear the b-sides.

I'm surprised that a lot of the fans are down on this album. I think it is a step in the right direction. But then again I hated ROTT when everyone else loved it, so there you go.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom