Indiewire: "Why David Fincher Chose The Smiths for Michael Fassbender’s Zen ‘Meditation’ Soundtrack in ‘The Killer’" (September 3, 2023)

Excerpt:

Eighties-loving misanthropes will find comfort in David Fincher’s “The Killer” knowing that the assassin revenge thriller is almost exclusively soundtracked by The Smiths — when it’s not thrumming with Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross’ ominous score.

Michael Fassbender plays a near-sociopathic contract killer, unencumbered by conscience or any moral scruples, whose carefully composed world starts to spin off its axis when he accidentally kills the wrong person on a hit job in Paris. He’s a yoga-doing, almost Zen-like murderer for hire whose unreliable perspective the movie situates us directly within — and that includes The Killer’s love of English rock band The Smiths. Hits like “How Soon Is Now?” and “Bigmouth Strikes Again” are often playing in an earbud or on speaker in the many cars he cycles through as a way to come down from the rush of a kill. Plus, some lesser-known favorites, like “I Know It’s Over” off “The Queen Is Dead,” which plays at an especially bungled moment professionally for him.

“Trent and Atticus are our first call, and if they choose to return the call, I deem myself lucky,” director Fincher said at the film’s Venice Film Festival press conference Sunday afternoon. “The Smiths were a post-production addition because I knew I wanted to use ‘How Soon is Now?’ and I love the idea of that song specifically as a tool for assuaging his anxiety. I liked it as a meditation tape, I thought it was amusing and funny.”

Once you’ve seen the movie, lyrics like “I’ve got no right to take my place/ To the Human race” off “Bigmouth Strikes Again” will make sense as a kind of mantra for this lonely island of a man. In the film premiering in competition in Venice and out October 27 in theaters on Netflix, Fassbender’s character goes on a revenge rampage that takes him from Santa Domingo to New Orleans after a disgruntled client dispatches goons to try and kill his girlfriend at their hideaway. The Killer’s increasing improvisations that deviate from his usual modus operandi — “never improvise” being part of it — leave many unnecessary bodies strewn on the side of the road.

Fincher said he chose The Smiths because of their famously mordant wit, as voiced by Morrissey. “I don’t think that there’s a library of music by recording artists that have as much sardonic nature and wit simultaneously [as The Smiths], and we don’t get an awful lot of access to who this guy is. I thought through his mixtape it would be amusing, that that would be our window into him.”

“The schism between his mantra, the words that he lives by, and his behavior that is forced to adjust, was ultimately where the movie exists, where the character exists,” Fincher said. “As his voiceover is assured, and as his voiceover is telling us exactly what it is he thinks he’s going to do, the moment that disappears, the style of the cinematography changes, the style of the music changes. We tried to use the frantic nature, maybe handheld, the way that we staged the action, to really show unraveling.”

full

Last edited by a moderator:
There’s tons of mentions of the Smiths in this movie on Twitter. Lots of people discovering or re-discovering the band. I wonder if there will be a soundtrack that they will appear on?

FWD.

Wonder how much it costs to use a song. And I wonder if M& Marr can adjust that price, say if they favor the person or company that’s using it?

BOO YA!!! The Smiths monthly listeners hit 14,000,000

They've gained 400,000 since the premiere of The Killer on Netflix!

I watched The Killer as soon as it was available on Netflix (it was on earlier at one of my local cinemas but I haven't been there in years). The idea of the film and the main star didn't appeal to me, so I was only watching to see how the Smiths' songs featured. The first thing to say is that one of the good things about Netflix is the lack of adverts so it was a bit disappointing that the killer ate a McDonald's. The second thing is that the cinematography and original instrumental soundtrack were excellent. I found though that I really didn't care about any of the characters, and quite a lot of the action stretched credulity to a ridiculous level. The best thing about the movie was the Smiths' music, but the people I was watching with teased me about the lyrics throughout. The youngest asked what "bludgeoned in your bed" meant (the killer listens to Bigmouth Strikes Again on the plane to New Orleans after dealing with the taxi driver) and I was about to reply "Nothing sexual, Preppy" when I realised I didn't know that for sure, so I said simply "Dunno!". I'd give the film 6/10 and wouldn't rush to see it again.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom