It may disturb you but..

I've always interpreted it as a dig towards his *ahem* fans & the media. You don't like me, but you love me and all that... ;) He does need us. Truth. What he doesn't need is us bitching about him so much. Well, then Moz -don't give us reason to. :D

I've always interpreted it as a dig towards his *ahem* fans & the media. You don't like me, but you love me and all that... ;) He does need us. Truth. What he doesn't need is us bitching about him so much. Well, then Moz -don't give us reason to. :D

He needs us to buy his records and tickets to his shows. Through this simple exchange there in lies the connection. Nothing else required of us but to sing along to the speakers on our players and sing along to him live.

Other than that he's ok by himself.

Every musician needs fans but unfortunately you can't pick them. Some fans will just piss n' moan without a reason to. I can't see this song being aimed particularly at his fans because he doesn't read this site or any others thk god so why would he feel he has to say anything there and he's stated many times in interviews that the reviews he gets from the media he pays no attention to anyway because of what he said below in the SP reissue booklet...

Assessment depends on the ear of the beholder. We are taught doubt and attack so assiduously that these reactions trigger faster than thoughts of love and support. Our answers are formatted to a permanent state of judgement - or, at most civil, the comparison game. It is the critics' calling to make something wrong. I am sustained only by the knowledge that skeptics never seem to know anything.

There is no point being provoked by people who do not respond to whatever it is that you do, because... there is no point.

- Morrissey

I just see this song as a reaction to anyone who has ever tried to infiltrate his soul without permission and to anyone who has in their infinite wisdom suggested he should live a certain way. This is just my opinion of course but it also happens to be true which gives it that extra Ooomph! :)

Last edited:
It reminds me of the last song on the Cure's 'wish' album...like a song to the fans "please stop loving me, I am none of these things".

I'm Okay By Myself and Something Is Squeezing My Skull are my favourite songs on Years Of Refusal.

I used to always prefer SISMS and thought that that would be my favourite but after buying the album and listening to the other songs properly I now think that I'm Okay By Myself is my favourite and it's a song I can relate to.

It wasn't my favourite track from YOR, it was only when I saw a clip of the live version that it fell into place. Before I heard the live version I thought he was almost trying to convince himself? Anyway, it's a great song! It's a fantastic 'F*ck You' to everyone who thinks they know better than you!:angry:

Back
Top Bottom