it's hard work being a Morrissey fan...

Maurice E

http://uk.launch.yahoo.com/080131/33/21xub.html

It's hard work being a Morrissey fan. It's not just the social stigma, or being expected to defend indefensibly stupid comments, but that every time he seems to have regained his old relevance he then releases something as shoddy and tossed-off as "That's How People Grow Up". "Ringleader Of The Tormentors", from 2005, was his best album in a decade because of its sonic variety and intriguing hints at a new emotional/sexual lease of life.

But this is the same old meat and two veg, mid-tempo rockarama with a tedious drone of self-pity about how he still hasn't got a boyfriend. It's like being trapped in an endless series of conversations with a drunk, worn out divorcee, although at least they wouldn't say anything as cringingly bad as "I was driving my car. I crashed and broke my spine / So yes there are worse things in life than never being somebody's sweetie." Perhaps he needs another long break.

by Jaime Gill

Harsh but fair?

oh dear...

It is hard work being a Morrissey fan but really the best and only thing to be.
I think its a tad harsh, but that line, that line really grates.

Normally I enjoy his stranger lyrics, but that one is a bit off. It's difficult to explain to someone who isn't a fan that he tends to use pointedly un-poetic words sometimes. You kind of have to be a fan to know where he's coming from sometimes, don't you find?

Same with All You Need Is Me. I loved that song until he recorded it and the "whoopie" was very... there. That word doesn't belong in his mouth. It would be cute live, but now it's there forever.

Having said all that... Even songs of his that I'm not wild about are far more tolerable than anything else in popular music.

Am I really the only person who quite likes that line?! :o

Am I really the only person who quite likes that line?! :o

Which one? "Whoopie"?

I quite like "whoopie", especially with his deadpan delivery! I remember when I first reported hearing this song (at Jimmy Kimmel's show in April 2007), somebody questioned if Moz really sang that and if so, then "go on the Moz!"

As far as "worse things in life than never being somebody's sweetie", I find it so cringeworthy that I actually giggle everytime I hear him sing "sweetie". In a perverse way, I like it.

Which one? "Whoopie"?

I quite like "whoopie", especially with his deadpan delivery! I remember when I first reported hearing this song (at Jimmy Kimmel's show in April 2007), somebody questioned if Moz really sang that and if so, then "go on the Moz!"

As far as "worse things in life than never being somebody's sweetie", I find it so cringeworthy that I actually giggle everytime I hear him sing "sweetie". In a perverse way, I like it.

I meant the second one, it just makes me smile :o and I like the 'Whoopie' too, it's so unlikely, and I like to think it's tongue in cheek :D...

nope. i love it

My faith is restored :)

I think it's a fair complaint but, at the same time, he's wrong. Morrissey's style has changed. Lately his lyrics are simple and direct, but they are the simple and direct lyrics of a man who has already made his name as a brilliant wordsmith. An important distinction.

I don't think it's hard work at all, if they're so angry about it then why don't they just listen to somebody else for God's sake.

I don't think it's hard work at all, if they're so angry about it then why don't they just listen to somebody else for God's sake.

Well said. It's not like anyone's holding a gun to your head and forcing you to listen to Morrissey... The day I find his music tedious and unrelevant is the day I stop being a fan. Simple as that.

It is not difficult adoring the Man, his voice, his lyrics, his art, his compassion, etc. etc.

It is quite exhausting (and quite expensive) collecting his works. I will end up in the looney or the poor house. So be it. :p

It is not difficult adoring the Man, his voice, his lyrics, his art, his compassion, etc. etc.

It is quite exhausting (and quite expensive) collecting his works. I will end up in the looney or the poor house. So be it. :p

But you do it because you still enjoy it, don't you? I guess that's the point. If you find no enjoyment in his music, you just stop listen to him. It's like quitting a boring partner. :p

But you do it because you still enjoy it, don't you? I guess that's the point. If you find no enjoyment in his music, you just stop listen to him. It's like quitting a boring partner. :p

Yes, I do enjoy collecting. And NO EPbabe, I won't quit Mozza. He hasn't quit me, despite what people might feel about the latest material. :D

Back
Top Bottom