It's Not Your Birthday Anymore

But the heart has a will of it's own.
Please don't suggest that I imply that if someone says no you don't have to listen.
That is not what I mean.
It's only because of this sentence I got the impression the song was about two lovers having a relation, knowing each other, loving each other and playing their erotic love game.
And the music gives me that impression too.
But as I already said, the other interpretation is just as possible.
Typical Moz, I think, but I might be wrong.
Is Moz really trying to express the feelings of a dominating and brutal reaper?
I'm just asking.

Isn't that another way of saying "you wanted it?"
I understand that there are different ways to view the type of "love" Morrissey is writing about, and some might not make sense to everyone, but the song isn't really romantic and caring. The other words, "there's no need to be kind to you and the will to see you smile and belong has now gone," seem cruel, and not really erotic. This is why I imagine it's probably a character study and maybe he invented the character but it's easy to imagine him being inspired by some film, book, or even something on a news program.

Remember Morrissey has sung about Jack The Ripper as a sort of love song.
Crash into my arms
I want you
You don't agree -
But you don't refuse
I know you
And I know a place
Where no one is likely to pass
Oh, you don't care if it's late
And you don't care if you're lost
And oh, you look so tired
(But tonight you presumed too much)
Too much, too much
And if it's the last
Thing I ever do
I'm gonna get you

One of the advantages of that song is that the meaning was more clear. Maybe "Birthday" is a clue, too. Could be some kind of reference to "Unhappy Birthday." Maybe it's about The Smiths. Probably not, but since we're considering all possibilities...

One way that the song is successful to me is that it's pretty easy to listen to. Most people don't seem to hear what's being said until they've listened a few times. So in that way the effect of the song and the apparent subject matter are very connected. You could say that the song "seduces" or "takes" you before you know what's happening.

It's hardly an erotic game between lovers - the whole tone of the narrator is distinctly unpleasant towards the recipient - 'there's no need to be kind to you...the will to see you smile and belong is now gone...did you really think we meant all of those syrupy, sentimental things we said?'

To me, it reads more like someone in an abusive relationship (either married couple, or some incestuous family relationship) has been given a rare 'good day off' for their birthday, then the narrator goes back to sexually abusing them.

Isn't that another way of saying "you wanted it?"
I understand that there are different ways to view the type of "love" Morrissey is writing about, and some might not make sense to everyone, but the song isn't really romantic and caring. The other words, "there's no need to be kind to you and the will to see you smile and belong has now gone," seem cruel, and not really erotic. This is why I imagine it's probably a character study and maybe he invented the character but it's easy to imagine him being inspired by some film, book, or even something on a news program.

Remember Morrissey has sung about Jack The Ripper as a sort of love song.
Crash into my arms
I want you
You don't agree -
But you don't refuse
I know you
And I know a place
Where no one is likely to pass
Oh, you don't care if it's late
And you don't care if you're lost
And oh, you look so tired
(But tonight you presumed too much)
Too much, too much
And if it's the last
Thing I ever do
I'm gonna get you

One of the advantages of that song is that the meaning was more clear. Maybe "Birthday" is a clue, too. Could be some kind of reference to "Unhappy Birthday." Maybe it's about The Smiths. Probably not, but since we're considering all possibilities...

One way that the song is successful to me is that it's pretty easy to listen to. Most people don't seem to hear what's being said until they've listened a few times. So in that way the effect of the song and the apparent subject matter are very connected. You could say that the song "seduces" or "takes" you before you know what's happening.

Great post!
Just to remind me to never take anything for granted, especially with Moz.
There are always more interpretations.
So you might say lyrics and music are sometimes a bit misleading?
He likes to play with it as well with his fans and audience.

I really like the song but it has an extra meaning now.
The songs you mentioned are favourites of mine as well.
And I like " What She Said " said and " Ambitious Outsiders " for the same reason.

So I guess he has also a sociological view and he uses it for his lyrics.
As if he tries to get in your imagination and to offer a different view.
Hasn't Morrissey once said that he actually heard a girl saying the things in " What shesaid " or is this part of the myth?
Thanks for your post CL.
Enjoyed reading it.

I think of you are a victim or have victim mentality then I think this makes sense in the way some have supposed it here.

For me it's about being bitchy with mood swings personality. One moment loving and supportive and then another moment, you are dirt and don't deserve any love. Very much about hating, very Moz like.

Yeah I don't get any vibe that this is a song about rape and sex.

It's hardly an erotic game between lovers - the whole tone of the narrator is distinctly unpleasant towards the recipient - 'there's no need to be kind to you...the will to see you smile and belong is now gone...did you really think we meant all of those syrupy, sentimental things we said?'

To me, it reads more like someone in an abusive relationship (either married couple, or some incestuous family relationship) has been given a rare 'good day off' for their birthday, then the narrator goes back to sexually abusing them.

Agree, I thought of an old fashioned married couple myself

^ didn't know that birthdays were funny, you'll see when you get my age, ya whippernapper :D

In case you're older than me.:straightface: old folks' humour eh.:highfive:

^ didn't know that birthdays were funny, you'll see when you get my age, ya whippernapper :D

In case you're older than me.:straightface: old folks' humour eh.:highfive:

Start counting backwards :)
My old mother, deceased 14 months ago, refused to answer when somebody asked her age, ha.
Sometimes people asked her neighbors and they said, that woman has no age. ;)
My mother was perfectly satisfied by that. :D

Last edited:
I think of you are a victim or have victim mentality then I think this makes sense in the way some have supposed it here.

For me it's about being bitchy with mood swings personality. One moment loving and supportive and then another moment, you are dirt and don't deserve any love. Very much about hating, very Moz like.

Then what kind of love is he giving to him there on the floor?

Then what kind of love is he giving to him there on the floor?
She is scrubbing the floor, the voice is hers, frustrated that she takes care of him and he doesn't appreciate that, but will smile and laugh get niceties from other.

You are in your gay interpretation (he giving him). I am in my hetero one, so we may see it differently.

She is scrubbing the floor, the voice is hers, frustrated that she takes care of him and he doesn't appreciate that, but will smile and laugh get niceties from other.

You are in your gay interpretation (he giving him). I am in my hetero one, so we may see it differently.
I wouldn't argue about interpretations. I don't think we all have to see it the same way. But you're attempting to be insulting with "victim mentality" and "gay interpretation." It's nice that you're not a victim and I'm not at all surprised that you are "hetero" but I don't see how either of those things figures in to the meaning of the lyrics. You tried though. I think everyone that participates should feel proud that they did the best they could. :thumb:

when i first heard it i just assumed it was about two people who didnt really like each other but who had a passionate relationship nonetheless. that squares with my belief that great passion can be built upon mutual dislike. so, after all is said and done, im just gonna stick with that.

when i first heard it i just assumed it was about two people who didnt really like each other but who had a passionate relationship nonetheless. that squares with my belief that great passion can be built upon mutual dislike. so, after all is said and done, im just gonna stick with that.

Yes. So true. Opposites attract.
Like the magnets they will cling and than they will push each other away.
Not uncommon in human relationships.
They still can be very passionate as you say.
Nothing wrong with that.
It's just one type of human relationship, as there are many others.

christ, i think no1uno's image of a woman on her hands and knees scrubbing a floor has just ruined the song for me. thanks no1uno.

We need a new video for this: "All of the gifts that they gave, can't compare in any way - with the floor I am now, scrubbing for you, right here - right now - on me knees..."

christ, i think no1uno's image of a woman on her hands and knees scrubbing a floor has just ruined the song for me. thanks no1uno.

We need a new video for this: "All of the gifts that they gave, can't compare in any way - with the floor I am now, scrubbing for you, right here - right now - on me knees..."

Well hey, it's not your birthday anymore is it.

Yes. So true. Opposites attract.
Like the magnets they will cling and than they will push each other away.
Not uncommon in human relationships.
They still can be very passionate as you say.
Nothing wrong with that.
It's just one type of human relationship, as there are many others.
that, and the idea of a hate f*** is so much hotter than the idea of sex with someone you actually like, the latter of which im a bit negative on

although actually it kind of works, because although scrubbing floors is for people who are not me, i would happily scrub morrisseys floor for him any day. hell, i'd scrub it with a toothbrush if he wanted me to. i imagine i would even find it very satisfying. morrisssseeey, hire me to be your cleaning lady! i am really above such a position in life, but for you, love bug, it would be an honour and a delight <3

edit: oops, i probably shouldnt call you love bug and make heart signs, should i? i mean, not now that we are to have a professional relationship. <3 (oops, sorry, cant help it :()

i go now to listen to that song and imagine myself scrubbing sweetmozzers floor while he berates me. eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee *thud*

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom