Johnny Marr responsible for Coronation Street actor's career

P

Pussycat

For all the Coronation Street fans on this board, I thought this little bit of information might strike your fancy.

I was flipping through one of my boyfriend's old guitar magazines, looking at all the pretty guitars, and I happened to stumble onto an article on Kevin Kennedy, the actor who plays Norman 'Curly' Watts on the aforementioned soap opera.

The article says that Kennedy is a guitarist for over 20 years and only started acting when--get this--it seemed his musical partnership with *Johnny Marr* and *Andy Rourke* "would come to nothing." [Laughs] Of course, this was before a certain lyrical genius named Morrissey would come along and change everything.

Here are transcriptions of the bits concerning Kevin Kennedy and Johnny Marr:

But Kevin, you and Johnny in the same band? Surely shome mishtake...

"No, not at all," explains the Irish-born Mancunian. "I grew up on the same estate as Johnny and we used to hang about. We formed The Paris Valentinos with Andy, really more as a social thing than as a genuine rock'n'roll band. But we did a few gigs." Johnny and Kevin used to spend their days learning, of all things, the blues licks of Rory Gallagher ... "Johnny was really into him [Rory Gallagher] as well."

At around 16 or 17, Kevin was offered the chance to go to drama school and, with The Paris Valentinos not exactly setting the world alight, decided to go for it. "Yep," shrugs Kennedy, "then Johnny and Andy went on to form The Smiths about three years later. It was before Morrissey joined though; I never actually met the man."

So how did Kevin and Johnny compare as players back then? "Well, I was the rhythm man," states Kennedy by way of clarification. "Johnny was always unbelievable; his melodies were brilliant and I always knew he was going to make it. And of course that's another reason I chose acting--I thought, if he's that good, maybe drama school's my best option. It kind of helped to make my mind up."

October 2000 Guitarist Magazine

Kisses.

Livin' in a Bulldog Nation..

Yes, last year I think it was, Curly Watts released a god-awful song called 'Bulldog Nation.' And of course, the name 'Johnny Marr' was name dropped about twenty squillion times.

Curly was signed for a six-album deal, however, after the release of his first single (which underwent quite widespread promotion), it peaked at number 49 in the charts, and he was immediately dropped.

Ah well.

LMC

Re: Livin' in a Bulldog Nation..

DID YOU SEE THE VIDEO FOR THE SONG?????

OHH HA HA HA IT WAS VILE 8o)

> Yes, last year I think it was, Curly Watts released a god-awful
> song called 'Bulldog Nation.' And of course, the name 'Johnny
> Marr' was name dropped about twenty squillion times.

> Curly was signed for a six-album deal, however, after the
> release of his first single (which underwent quite widespread
> promotion), it peaked at number 49 in the charts, and he was
> immediately dropped.

> Ah well.

> LMC

> Curly was signed for a six-album deal, however, after the
> release of his first single (which underwent quite widespread
> promotion), it peaked at number 49 in the charts, and he was
> immediately dropped.

And all copies that had been released were withdrawn from sale and stamped on, then burned, and Curly had to promise never to do it again.

T*M*F

> And all copies that had been released were withdrawn from sale
> and stamped on, then burned, and Curly had to promise never to
> do it again.

> T*M*F

We can only cower in our beds and pray, my darling.

LM Pankate.

x x x x x x

Back
Top Bottom