Jonathan Ross quits BBC

Outside his house:

capt_3900b28927884e93bac7990550aa01.jpg

The wife....

capt_deeaea4dc15d45ddb3bab377a6e808.jpg

The video doesn't really make it clear to me who started the ugliness...

Yet you have the opportunity to read the Thread about it and take into account eyewitness reports here. I strongly reccomend you read the comments of non-Solo people at the link provided by someofusisturningnasty.

http://http://newsforums.bbc.co.uk/nol/thread.jspa?sortBy=2&forumID=7396&start=0&tstart=0&edition=1&ttl=20100108003658#paginator
So it seems highly likely to me that many people here would have behaved exactly the same way, just without the £ 6 million yearly salary. Which is probably part of the reason for the anger: sour grapes.
I'm glad you put "part" in there. It shows you understand not everything is about money.

It's also interesting that he's accused of being both sycophantically nice, and also mocking. Damned if you do, damned if you don't, it seems.

You know that the accusations of sycophancy and mocking refer to totally different situations and to different people. Your conclusion is based on false interpretation of the facts. To make the claim "Damned if you do, damned if you don't.." ignores the fact that both these behaviours are distateful, wherever exhibited.

So far as being willing to mock and put down those around you.....
Anyhow, forum members here love mocking anything and everything, with little concern about anyone's feelings.
..a rather sweeping statement, I think.

Yet you have the opportunity to read the Thread about it and take into account eyewitness reports here. I strongly reccomend you read the comments of non-Solo people at the link provided by someofusisturningnasty.

http://http://newsforums.bbc.co.uk/nol/thread.jspa?sortBy=2&forumID=7396&start=0&tstart=0&edition=1&ttl=20100108003658#paginator

So far as being willing to mock and put down those around you..... ..a rather sweeping statement, I think.

I have seen empirically that some of them do, yes. Had I said most or all forum members do this, that might be a sweeping statement.

Are you asserting that I'm putting people down, by pointing out that they love to put people down?

I read the BBC comments, but didn't see any specific examples, just opinions, most of which were the same criticisms using the same words.

I take eye witnesses on this forum with a big grain of salt, since some people here can see something happen and report that the exact opposite happened. Like calling Ross greedy. Overpaid, perhaps (still less than Jay Leno's salary), but he did decline a job that paid 40% more, a decision that cost him 8 million pounds.

I have seen empirically that some of them do, yes. Had I said most or all forum members do this, that might be a sweeping statement.

Perhaps because in another thread you were more specific ...

Some of these people have no problem jumping down someone's throat and using obscenities, as long as they're giving, never receiving.

Some display a sense of personal entitlement to do and say anything they want, no matter how offensive or abrasive, while criticizing others as being somehow out of line and not entitled to hold or respond with a different opinion.

I think some people are better than others at applying the same set of standards to themselves and to others. Some people seem to be better than others at imagining what it would be like to be in someone else's shoes.
.... it led me to believe you were making a more general statement here.

Anyhow, forum members here love mocking anything and everything, with little concern about anyone's feelings.
.. still sounds like a sweeping statement to me, regardless of your defence.

Are you asserting that I'm putting people down, by pointing out that they love to put people down?
To clarify, I meant that you are not averse to putting people down, (see off-thread quote above), the quote I took in this thread was one example.

I read the BBC comments, but didn't see any specific examples, just opinions, most of which were the same criticisms using the same words.
...by a lot of people, not only Solo-users. It's a space for people to leave opinions, not a classroom.

I agree with you in some things ;), some people here do annoy me with their abrasiveness and lack of insight. Yet we find such ignorance in all walks of life. Confronting and coming to terms with it without bitterness is a difficult challenge.

Some of these people have no problem jumping down someone's throat and using obscenities, as long as they're giving, never receiving. Some display a sense of personal entitlement to do and say anything they want, no matter how offensive or abrasive, while criticizing others as being somehow out of line and not entitled to hold or respond with a different opinion. I think some people are better than others at applying the same set of standards to themselves and to others. Some people seem to be better than others at imagining what it would be like to be in someone else's shoes.

To clarify, I meant that you are not averse to putting people down.

I see that as "constructive criticism" rather than me putting anyone down. :D

It's not like I singled anyone out by name or called anyone names or insults.

Confronting it without bitterness is a difficult challenge.

I thought that's what I thought I was doing.

He should go back to Channel 4 and do shows like The Incredibly Strange Film Show like he did the late 80s. He introduced me to film makers like Ed Wood, Russ Meyer :bow: Ted V. Mikels, Ray Dennis Steckler and had great interviews with John Waters, George Romero and Sam Raimi. He also did a show for one of the other BBC channels on the comic book writer & artist Steve Ditko. When he has a passion for a subject, he is very good at his job.

There's only one thing I have to say about this, and Mark Lamarr said it better than I ever could.... (contains some swearing, naturally)

Last edited by a moderator:
There's only one thing I have to say about this, and Mark Lamarr said it better than I ever could.... (contains some swearing, naturally)

I do notice that, here on Solow, "STFU" is often considered a hilarious joke and a clever comeback. I don't get it.

My main criteria for comedians is: are they funny? If they happen to be nice / congenial, that's a bonus. Ross has both IMHO.

Is Ross not funny? He must be funny to someone to earn 6 million pounds a year, right?

I do notice that, here on Solow, "STFU" is often considered a hilarious joke and a clever comeback. I don't get it.

My main criteria for comedians is: are they funny? If they happen to be nice / congenial, that's a bonus. Ross has both IMHO.

Is Ross not funny? He must be funny to someone to earn 6 million pounds a year, right?

Well, strictly speaking, he isn't a comedian. He's a presenter.
He used to be funny, and occasionally still can be, but nowadays he is a lot "tamer" than he used to be. Watching him I get the feeling he is being a bit more reserved to avoid offence and controversy. Which is entirely understandable given his position. I just don't really like his TV/radio shows anymore, and they used to be good - but I just don't want to see him on TV anymore unless he gets his 'edge' back.

As for "STFU", if you watch the whole show the clip was taken from, it makes sense, probably not so funny out of context.

yay!! :lbf:

Last edited by a moderator:
What an arsehole

Thank god his big cockney gob is shut, not forever because that would be out of character, but oh joy, for now at least

I remember the Comedy Awards and Peter Kay's body language (someone who is actually funny) as if he was thinking exactly the same

Like oh my fecking god, somebody please kill him before I do :clap:

Tags
stfu
Back
Top Bottom