Morrissey A-Z: "In the Future When All's Well"

BookishBoy

Today's song is this Morrissey/Tobias composition, the third single lifted from the Ringleader of the Tormentors album, and reaching #17 in the UK singles chart.

What do we think of this one?

His beautiful voice in the last 20 seconds of the song and that line, "The future is ended by a long, long sleep" are almost enough to rescue this from chug-rock mediocrity, but not quite.

As a stand alone single this was fantastic. Loved it. Feel slightly sad at seeing Alain playing drums on there. The beginning of the end.
Love the suit Morrissey is wearing. Reminds me of a similar one he wore on Jools Holland doing Boy Racer.

Perfect example of a song I could hardly stand for the longest time but now damn near love. Sure it’s chug rock and sure the vocal melody is not much to write home about, but god damn it, it has something. Is it lots of charm? Yes, maybe. Is it the good natured air? It could be. Is it my nostalgia for that period in time? Wouldn’t bet against it. Most likely it’s all of the above. But I really do love it. Oh, and the rolling R when he sings ‘confront’ is just magnificent.

Musically it's not particularly memorable (which can be said of many solo songs) and the drums are rather puny.

Morrissey again provides the most impressive parts of the song such as the optimistic lyrics and the vocal melodies.

I remember Phil Jupitus singling this one out for the lyrics in his very positive Radio Times review of the album.

In the poll on the Hoffman board it ranked 103rd from 264 solo songs.

I think the clear homages to young Morrissey’s listening habits save this from chug-rock mediocrity, turning it into one of my most listened to Ringleader songs, especially recently. A fantastic vocal performance with lots of little elements designed to spark up the main tune (glockenspiel, synth, guitar solo). As mentioned elsewhere, the ending is my favourite part, subverting our expectations while also providing one of the most beautiful melodies on the album. The drawbacks? Well, the production doesn’t do the album and this song any favours, and hampers some of the more dynamic moments, sadly. But on the whole, a great tune.
8/10

He still plays the sad game and the song is very well . The video above is great too. 7/10 and I still maintain the Ringleader is unforgivably underrated

good song,some good lines.
living longer than i intended.
something must have gone right.
this was a great time to be an M fan,def my favourite era,enough concerts to continually empty your bank account.
7alls/10wells.

There were only three great songs on Ringleader and this was one of them. It fizzes with energy! Sad to see Alain's final appearance in any Morrissey footage. It's in a video for a song he didn't write which is the same as his first ever appearance (in the Sing Your Life video). 1991 to 2006 - 15 years of service!

Last edited:
Moz doing Oasis doing T.Rex. Via Visconti.
I quite like it, although it is probably my least favourite of the Ringleader-singles.

I really like the positive energy that emanates from this song, which is rather rare for a Morrissey song. He sounds so happy and cheerful here that he nearly starts warbling. His vocal delivery lifts the song above the plain vanilla chug rock.

Hearing the following line in one of the verses:
"Living longer than I had intended
Something must have gone ....right
"
creates a sense of nostalgia for better days and times that now seem so far away. Perhaps that's why the song has passed the test of time. Please, stand up and defend him :) :)

I love most things Moz, but this is one of the few songs that do nothing for me.

Sounds a bit Alan Partridge-esque in its vocal delivery?

This'be perhaps be a good one for a hypothetical Partridge Moz medley (like Coogan's ABBA/Kate Bush ones) along with Kiss Me a Lot (which I actually do really like): "Kiss me a lot, kiss me a lot...kiss me all over my face."

I love most things Moz, but this is one of the few songs that do nothing for me.

Sounds a bit Alan Partridge-esque in its vocal delivery?

This'be perhaps be a good one for a hypothetical Partridge Moz medley (like Coogan's ABBA/Kate Bush ones) along with Kiss Me a Lot (which I actually do really like): "Kiss me a lot, kiss me a lot...kiss me all over my face."
Oh nooooo 😁😁😁! What you did...now I can never unhear Alan's voice as he is introducing it on his North Norfolk show "this is a song I said to my first wife as she hopped into my Lexus...Kiss me a lot!" 🤣🤣🤣

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom