Morrissey concert in Auckland, NZ - cancelled

The Auckland show in two nights time has been cancelled. This was to be the last concert of the current tour.

Information from the promoter:

This event has been CANCELLED...

Morrissey: 40 Years of Morrissey
on Thursday 14 December at The Civic has been cancelled.

A message from the presenter:

“We regret to advise the Morrissey: 40 Years of Morrissey show scheduled for Thursday 14 December at The Civic, Auckland will no longer be proceeding due to unforeseen logistical issues. Thank you for your patience and understanding."
All ticket holders will receive an automatic refund as per the information below.

Media items:

don’t know, seems like a sweet ride to me. Still getting paid & seeing the world. They look to be having fun, in their photo posts.

That is the nature of social media, you post the best parts. Who knows what grumbling and embarrassment happen for the band members behind the scenes? They are probably contractually forbidden to talk about it.

I had a feeling NZ was not going to happen. I think it's clear Moz just can't stand flying and the hassle of airports - with all the little hitlers who boss you around and tell you where to stand. My guess is the California shows will happen because it is assumed he still spends some of his time there? Although Moz's 'home' these days is a question mark. I think he sold his house in LA didn't he?
Will the shows in South America happen in 2024? I would say it's 50/50. I certainly wouldn't risk booking flights and hotels unless I was happy to just be a tourist instead.
I'm not betting on those shows going ahead. Just decided to travel this time and asking for the refund of the tickets if that happens as I re-scheduled all the trips in the (vain?) hope he will bother showing up.

That is the nature of social media, you post the best parts. Who knows what grumbling and embarrassment happen for the band members behind the scenes? They are probably contractually forbidden to talk about it.

Yes, all the photos of them pulling faces in far off places, are …. fake! :lbf:

Well, quite.

Ex bandmates. Former friends. Swathes of fans. Record labels.

And why do you think that is?

The man’s an arsehole and has lost the plot entirely. Open your eyes.
And yet still here you are!

For what reason? There must be something about him that you like?

I think the ex-fan phenomenon is more interesting and deserving of attention than the Latino-fan phenomenon ever was. Just hilarious.

3 the reason is personal information that’s nobody’s business, whether that’s exhaustion, anxiety, minor abrasion, whatever

I have a feeling "Logistical Issues" is a phase that works into the leagal contract and his liabilities. I'm just guessing but perhaps tour insurance accepts things like " logistically we could not get show equipment to the venue in time due to plane shortages " just guessing

Someone needs to take a look at these 'gistics.
They keep gettin' in the way.

Very tough news to bear for those with tickets.

Ed Sheeran cancelled an NZ show scheduled for next Feb due to 'ongoing uncertainties affecting global touring'?? - https://www.1news.co.nz/2022/09/19/ed-sheeran-cancels-2023-wellington-show/

I heard several big acts cancelled tour dates in Asia this winter.

The Weeknd has postponed December dates due to 'unforeseen circumstances' https://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertai...een-circumstances/7IQLDRSFHJHBZOE5XQXCUIU4JA/

Andrea Boccelli canceled his Philadelphia show 4 hours before he was due on stage due to illness - https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/ot...es-statement-about-canceled-shows/ar-AA1lhM8I

Sickness forced P!nk to cancel too - https://www.billboard.com/music/pop...ur-concerts-family-medical-issues-1235444301/

To return to the curious excuse given by Sheeran, there's a new development to add to the usual variety of incidents and accidents that can overly delay proceedings:

So far in 2023, which is on track to be the hottest year on record, around the world, extreme weather has affected at least 30 major concerts, including evacuations, cancellations and postponements, based on Billboard’s running tally, while the total number of affected music events worldwide is surely far higher.

So to help protect the planet and its music community in the face of these troubling trends, Billboard is launching “The Green Note” – a newsletter that will highlight ways that music’s leaders are working to create more sustainable future ...
For now, we hope the following list of music events that have been impacted by climate change and extreme weather so far this year will provide enough inspiration to get the conversation started. ...

A small incidental story that didn't ultimately put a spanner in the performance works, but shows the many kinds of jobs that have to be done. A relative was helping put up a stage last week for some bands. He was underneath holding up boards being stapled together by someone else overhead, only to get a staple shot through his finger right into the bone, resulting in a trip to A & E, where he barely escaped an operation.:hand: :hammer:

Last edited:
I've not seen this clip before. What does he expect from air travel, airports etc? Maybe he should have chosen another career, or got a job in the corner shop and cycled to work (being very careful to not catch his flares in the chain). He's a d..k
I have had a week away from here in an attempt to reduce the time spent on social media and to spend more time on priorities. The news of ( or maybe lack of explanation for) the cancellation has brought me back here at speed. He couldn't have chosen another career - by his own admission he didn't want to work, and even now could he could be described as a NEET (not in education, employment or training), and he gets paid to do what he would do as a hobby. He does not know about such things as going to work when you don't feel like it, having to please people you don't agree with because they have the power, having to stick with a job you hate because you need the money. He could learn these things though! I haven't given up on him. I do hope things are ok with him, but many thoughts for those disappointed.

You know how they say don’t meet your idols? I wish I didn’t bump into him unfortunately. I was very respectful of his space but he wouldn’t even acknowledge that I existed. Everyone has bad days but he was beyond rude. Currently at the airport flying to Auckland lol. Honestly considering selling my LA tickets after that interaction as I am flying from AUS.
Its true. And Morrissey had a similar experience when he met Marc Bolan, asked for his autograph and Bolan said no and promply walked off .

Not true. Being at a Morrissey show is a wonderful and unforgettable experience. There must be many unhappy Moz fans in NZ today. I'd be gutted if I had tickets.
Correct, the setlist wasn't a downer for me as we don't see him that often so it would've been fairly fresh. The theatre he was due to play is absolutely beautiful and that was the part I was looking forward to most, seeing him in such an intimate setting. I've seen Moz here twice and a few times in the UK and this was the venue I was most excited about.

Oh well, Peter Hook & The Light comes next year, where a 68 year old man will play two albums back-to-back and I bet he crushes it. You want to know the brutal truth? Peter Hook no longer drinks while I suspect Morrissey is at the (barely) functioning alcoholic stage. Particularly at their respective ages it is an absolute difference maker.

The contempt he has for fans is despicable. Only if they've paid their money and he feels in the mood to sing and bask in their love does he acknowledge them. Sorry that happened, but what an eye-opener.
Or maybe he was upset about the cancelled shows, and about the things that caused this, and just not in the mood? Most reports state he is polite and nice, but there may be times when he is not in the right mood, as any human beeing.

He surrounds himself with plodding yes people, so this recurring logistical reasons is pathetic.
How long has he been touring for ffs?
Just half arsed planning, minimal costs to make sure he'll make as much money as possible primarily.
As much as he whines about moder culture where opinions are pounced upon, yet he won't be challenged by anyone around him. He's a multifaceted shirker who cares little about the fact many people will have sacrificed hard earned money on travel and accommodation.
The twilight of his career looks set to just flicker out like a dud firework......all his own doing.

Or maybe he was upset about the cancelled shows, and about the things that caused this, and just not in the mood? Most reports state he is polite and nice, but there may be times when he is not in the right mood, as any human beeing.
Upset about the shows he just canceled? Why?

For those still travelling to Auckland.... an "Unofficial Morrissey After Party" Thursday Night!

We are running a post-punk night in Auckland CBD at Ding, 26 Wyndham Street. Just off Queen St.
Playing Morrissey, The Smiths and a lots more all night. Check Eventfinda for more details!

All welcome!

Ding Dong Lounge, Auckland's premier rock venue, invites all music lovers to Post Punk Night on Thursday, December 14.

Right after Morrissey's 40th Anniversary Concert Tour at The Civic, we've got Passion Crypt in the DJ booth, spinning a killer playlist of post-punk classics.

After Morrissey wraps up, Ding Dong Lounge transforms into a post-punk paradise.

DJ Passion Crypt and DJ SLY will take you on a nostalgic journey through the sounds of
Joy Division, The Cure, Echo and the Bunnymen, Bauhaus, and more, creating an atmosphere that pays homage to the genre's experimental roots.

That it is 'nobody's business' is a point of view. I would imagine though that the paying punters of New Zealand do think that some form of explanation is warranted. Not to mention the other places he has also cancelled this year.
I was going to the Auckland show and would most definitely like an explanation!
I'm hoping there Is a genuine reason, but it feels like he couldn't be bothered to get on a plane from Sydney so it was easier to cancel.
I'd love to understand what happened.

Back
Top Bottom