Morrissey statement on TTY 06/01/10

Morrissey is doing just fine, I adore Years Of Refusal, as do many other.
many, many people rate the music of, Whyte, Boorer and Tobias very higher.

even though I Morrissey and Marr were wonderful 23 years ago, I do not long for them to get back together.
When I think of Morrissey.......Come Back to Camden, Playboys, Yes, I am Blind, I'm Ok by Myself....... and so on....so on........(too many)

When I think of Marr....Got to Get A message To You... I'm sorry to provoke but I think Marr needs Morrissey certainly not the other way round.

and yes JJ, I didn't interpret anything about a reunion in it either, wishful think by some people. I really don't think it's wise to go backwards.

You mean of Ardwick:thumb:

Jukebox Jury

Haha, even Moz said "John Maher of Wythenshawe", I read something once where Johnny talking about moving there as feeling like "I'd moved to Beverley Hills"! :lbf:

I remain steadfastly proud of "Years of refusal", which along with "You are the quarry" and "Ringleader of the tormentors" are my life's peaks. These three will allow me to die in peace. I am no longer in the thrall of anything that preceded them; the past is not me.

Sounds to me like the man is not at all interested in any kind of stroll down memory lane.

People assume that J. Marr is willing to work with Morrissey - from what I've been able to suss from recent statements, J. Marr is just as eager to live in the present.

Morrissey is now a man without a record contract or management (not to mention accountants). He has retained his lawyers, however, to clean up some sort of mess. He's just been through a pretty brutal tour plagued by poor health and (as so many here have pointed out) he's no longer a cash cow.

I think it's time for Moz to take that long walking trip through Scotland, or a freighter up the coast of Norway; maybe a long break in Mexico, or a restorative visit to New Zealand - anything that gets him away from The Business. Any more legal wrangling with management or accountants and he's not going to have anything interesting to say to anyone.

Good luck to him.

Moz/ Marr reunion?

All because he has got rid of the management that completely mismanaged him last year? That management were truly atrocious, even if Morrissey has had more managers than Manchester City

Originally Posted by Morrissey
I remain steadfastly proud of "Years of refusal", which along with "You are the quarry" and "Ringleader of the tormentors" are my life's peaks. These three will allow me to die in peace. I am no longer in the thrall of anything that preceded them; the past is not me.
_ _ _ _ _ _

This has to be, possibly, the most depressing Morrissey quote of all time. Yes, there's the odd pretty good song here and there but the idea that these patchy, middling albums represent a high watermark of his back catalogue is just ludicrous.
By all means, claim the latest album to be the best, but this just defies belief...

Morrissey said:

This has to be, possibly, the most depressing Morrissey quote of all time. Yes, there's the odd pretty good song here and there but the idea that these patchy, middling albums represent a high watermark of his back catalogue is just ludicrous.
By all means, claim the latest album to be the best, but this just defies belief...

Maybe it's you and other few think the above quote as 'the most depressing Morrissey quote of all time'.

Morrissey doesn't have to cling on the past glory.
He's looking forward which is really good thing to me.

and yes JJ, I didn't interpret anything about a reunion in it either, wishful think by some people. I really don't think it's wise to go backwards.

Bloody hell lainey, don't tell me we agree on something:eek: I must be going soft in my old age:thumb:

Haha, even Moz said "John Maher of Wythenshawe", I read something once where Johnny talking about moving there as feeling like "I'd moved to Beverley Hills"! :lbf:

Do you recall Ardwick in the 60's / 70's? They called it Fort Ardwick. The grass area opposite the bus depot on Hyde Road, was a concrete jungle of Hulme Crescent style flats:eek:
Wythenshawe, with it's 'Garden City' status really would have seemed like Beverley Hills:D

Moz/ Marr reunion?

All because he has got rid of the management that completely mismanaged him last year? That management were truly atrocious, even if Morrissey has had more managers than Manchester City

:rolleyes::thumb::lbf:

Jukebox Jury

Morrissey doesn't have to cling on the past glory.
He's looking forward which is really good thing to me.

He’s looking forward? What the heck are you on about?
He’s quite clearly looking back (on the last three albums) and saying that they are his life’s peaks.
He’s also implying that he doesn’t really mind whether or not he records any new albums (because the last three albums will allow him to 'die in peace') – that’s hardly looking to the future.

He’s quite clearly looking back (on the last three albums) and saying that they are his life’s peaks.
He’s also implying that he doesn’t really mind whether or not he records any new albums (because the last three albums will allow him to 'die in peace') – that’s hardly looking to the future.

It's your pesimistic interpretation.

Morrissey will surprise us again.

Okay, but he said YATQ was a "peak" after which he could "die happily" (or words to this effect). Then again after ROTT. Then again after YOR. If he released a new album in 2010 he'd once more be telling the NME it's his best album and he could die a happy man. These pronouncements aren't very meaningful. It's just his way of telling people he's living in the present, the here and now.

Okay, but he said YATQ was a "peak" after which he could "die happily" (or words to this effect). Then again after ROTT. Then again after YOR. If he released a new album in 2010 he'd once more be telling the NME it's his best album and he could die a happy man. These pronouncements aren't very meaningful. It's just his way of telling people he's living in the present, the here and now.

he always claims that his most recent album is his best. of course, that's the way it should be for all artists.
the trouble is the way he keeps grouping together the last three albums, and the way that he draws so heavily on them in the live shows (at the expense of his generally superior early/mid period solo stuff).

before YOR came out, he claimed that it was his best, and said many enthusiastic things about it (so far so good), and then claimed that it ranked alongside YATQ and ROTT in terms of greatness (alarm bells!).

so this suggests that all the unsubtlety, clumsiness and bluster of his recent albums (with the exception of a small number of genuinely wonderful songs) is what he feels he does best, whereas most of us know that the charm, poetry and eloquence that featured so heavily in his 1980s and 1990s output is infinitely preferable.

Last edited:
so this suggests that all the unsubtlety, clumsiness and bluster of his recent albums (with the exception of a small number of genuinely wonderful songs) is what he feels he does best, whereas most of us know that the charm, poetry and eloquence that featured so heavily in his 1980s and 1990s output is infinitely preferable.

Well, we've debated this before and where we differ is that you don't like his newer stuff nearly as much as his older solo and Smiths stuff. Which is fine, I respect your opinion. As I've said before, I think the last few albums have been great because they sound like albums made by a middle-aged pop singer-- if he is less subtle, more blustery, and so on, I think it's perfectly fine because he's already had a long career of releasing songs bursting with charm, poetry and eloquence. I don't want "Stretch Out And Wait" Part 2. I'd rather listen to "Stretch Out And Wait" and hear a side of him I don't know, like "You Have Killed Me". So I don't fault him for saying it's his best work. I'll bet he would say that it's his best work as a 50-year old man, while "Hand In Glove" was the best of him as a 24-year old. Seems fair to me.

I hope he's pleased with this.
If you ask me I wouldn't want a The Smiths reunion. Their hearts wouldn't be in it and the past is the past.

Well, we've debated this before and where we differ is that you don't like his newer stuff nearly as much as his older solo and Smiths stuff. Which is fine, I respect your opinion. As I've said before, I think the last few albums have been great because they sound like albums made by a middle-aged pop singer-- if he is less subtle, more blustery, and so on, I think it's perfectly fine because he's already had a long career of releasing songs bursting with charm, poetry and eloquence. I don't want "Stretch Out And Wait" Part 2. I'd rather listen to "Stretch Out And Wait" and hear a side of him I don't know, like "You Have Killed Me". So I don't fault him for saying it's his best work. I'll bet he would say that it's his best work as a 50-year old man, while "Hand In Glove" was the best of him as a 24-year old. Seems fair to me.

Perhaps, but when the side of him is 'I'm OK By Myself', a song which is basically a clumsy summation of what he's been singing about for twenty odd years then we're in trouble.
Can we look forward to the career-defining 'Misery Guts' closing his next album?

"People say I'm a misery guts
But actually I'm quite cheerful
QCs, greedy lawyers
All leave me feeling fearful."

Because that's what most of YOR sounded like to me. I've said it before - an average album by anyone, a truly depressing album by MORRISSEY.

Also, why would Morrissey/Marr end up making The Smiths part 2? Johnny has proven he can fit his style to a heavier sound or a more poppy sound, why shouldn't some of this influence and experience rub off if they did work together?

(Also, I actually don't think there was any Morrissey/Marr stuff to be read into the press release, but it was kinda where the conversation ended up.)

Last edited:
Morrissey is doing just fine, I adore Years Of Refusal, as do many others.

Even though I Morrissey and Marr were wonderful 23 years ago, I do not long for them to get back together.

I think Marr needs Morrissey certainly not the other way round. I really don't think it's wise to go backwards.

You spoke my mind and I know many many others.

Morrissey will surprise us again.

That is what I was thinking when reading every post on this very very long thread. Let's just wait and see! I'm sure he will jump back into it all when we least expect it.

Who knows he may come back with an album that is so good, everyone on here will quit moaning about how disappointing Years Of Refusal was! I'm really getting sick of it! The last three albums were pretty damn good and so was his early solo stuff (1987-1997)...

Statement from Morrissey:

Following consultation with my lawyers, I wish it to be known that I have terminated with immediate effect my association with Front Line Management (Irving Azoff, Andy Gould and Lil Gary), who no longer have any rights to issue any statements on my behalf. I would also like to stress that I have no association with accountants appointed by Front Line, namely London & Co.

»
Interesting.

Why's that interesting? Am I supposed to give a shit who Front Line Management is?

Morrissey's dull with his statements.

That's what he has to say to the Internet? He's ending his association with Irving Azoff, Andy Gould, and Lil Gary? LOL

Okay, very well, Morrissey. Not sure anyone gave a fine f*** who Irving Azoff, Andy Gould, and Lil Gary were, but I guess it was an important statement to make to the world. :lbf:

How about some songs? I mean, like, not releasing the same ones over and over again?

But I'm glad you parted ways with Andy Gould, Lil Gary, and Irving Azoff. I was really worried about all that. I'm also glad how you stressed you have no association with accountants appointed by Front Line, namely London & Co. I was pretty worried about that, too. I can sleep soundly now.

Yeah, he said "Vauxhal & I" was the greatest when that came out, too.

I like his albums, but it bugged me when he re-released "Maladjusted" with different cover art and a different track listing. I don't like artists going back in time and changing their works. It's like when these movie directors go back and f*** with their old movies. I don't like when artists do that shit. It f***s everything up. What is the real "Maladjusted" now? It should've always been the album he released in 1997. But now it's all f***ed up. And...I LIKED "Roy's Keen". I also liked "Papa Jack", except for the last annoying minute or so.

Last edited:
god, you are so angry, aren't you?

i love it.

(BTW, I'm not referring to you as god here.)

I'm just a boy with a hate full of heart. No one will ever understand.

Back
Top Bottom