Morrissey's self importance

butley

Do you think Morrissey has an inflated idea of his own importance? I expect most
successful performers do. They are cocooned from the real world to an extent.
I love Morrissey but my gut instinct is that the recent no-shows on the media circuit are because EDILS wasn't a big hit.
Honestly it did brilliantly. How many random re-releases get anywhere? It's not like it was featured in a blockbuster movie.
You could have teased us and toyed with us and we'd have loved it but you played impossible to get.
Still love you and I always will.

The moment I saw the title of this thread, in fact every time I hear the phrase "self-importance", I recall the lyrics of New Model Army's 'Notice Me'...

I'll take any drug in the whole damn world
If you'll only notice me
Mainline poisons by the score
Please will you notice me
I'll break any law, hurt anybody
For God's sake notice me
Cut my wrists and slash my face
For Christ's sake notice me

I'll drink anybody into the ground
If you'll only notice me
I'll kick the teeth out of anyone here
Come on and notice me
I'll wear the clothes and cut my hair
Please will you notice me
I'll be a pop star and I'll stand on stage
For God's sake notice me

Ch: - Whoever told him that it mattered
Who told him that anyone cared
He's got an overgrown sense of his own importance
No-one's really bothered around here
He was such a quiet boy
Never any trouble before, never any trouble before

I'll get a big car and drive like a maniac
Please notice me I'll make a lot of money and tread on you
If you'll only notice me
I'll tell you any lies you want to hear
For God's sake notice me
I'll kill myself while you are watching
For Christ's sake notice me

P.

Do you think Morrissey has an inflated idea of his own importance? I expect most
I love Morrissey but my gut instinct is that the recent no-shows on the media circuit are because EDILS wasn't a big hit.
Honestly it did brilliantly. How many random re-releases get anywhere? It's not like it was featured in a blockbuster movie.
You could have teased us and toyed with us and we'd have loved it but you played impossible to get.

Do you often ask a question and then immediately answer it yourself?

My gut tells me you do.

He's an artist. He's different than we are. Not superior, just different. He doesn't think the way we do, which is fortunate, because people like us don't write songs like "Everyday Is Like Sunday".

Last edited:
He's an artist. He's different than we are. Not superior, just different. He doesn't think the way we do, which is fortunate, because people like us don't write songs like "Everyday Is Like Sunday".

That, and also because a lot of people he meets - such as Russell Brand, et al - are kissing his arse all the time. You know it's true.

That, and also because a lot of people he meets - such as Russell Brand, et al - are kissing his arse all the time. You know it's true.

Yes, but they're only kissing his arse because he wrote "Everyday Is Like Sunday". Everything goes back to one indisputable fact: he's the greatest pop star who ever lived. Circular, like. :)

I think Morrissey's psychology is rather complex and contradictory. I would say there is a deeply imbedded inferiority complex combined with an arrogance and belief that he is special. There is no middle ground. He is fiercely intelligent and has realised his ambition to be special through this intelligence.

I think Morrissey's psychology is rather complex and contradictory. I would say there is a deeply imbedded inferiority complex combined with an arrogance and belief that he is special. There is no middle ground. He is fiercely intelligent and has realised his ambition to be special through this intelligence.

Wait, is this Morrissey or Mark Zuckerberg? :rolleyes:

Been watching the early Smiths shows at The Hacienda on youtube and I reckon Morrissey's self-importance is justified.
The Smiths were simply the best band ever and Morrissey was 92.6% of that.
Johhny is great but without Morrissey he wouldn't have got beyond the Arndale Centre.
Morrissey was meant to be, like all true greats.

Wait, is this Morrissey or Mark Zuckerberg? :rolleyes:

Well, I don't really know much about Zuckerberg so I'm not sure what you are getting at. All i'm saying is that there is a fine line between inferiority and superiority within Morrissey's psyche. I think it is hard for him to find a balance. There is no law of averages here.

Yes, but they're only kissing his arse because he wrote "Everyday Is Like Sunday". Everything goes back to one indisputable fact: he's the greatest pop star who ever lived. Circular, like. :)

Yes and yes.

There are lots of people around with a sense of self importance it has little to do with being an artist.
I don't think Morrissey thinks more of himself than most pop stars,celeb,actors, First class seated travellers, boy racers, overly greased estate agents etc, etc think of themselves.

I think Morrissey has had and still does have a very good idea of where "Morrissey" the pop star stands in the musical history books.
Thus, when he says something like, I don't know..."john Peel got such and such for a book deal, I should get more". He isn't saying "my life is worth more than his, I am a better human". He is saying in pop culture I have travelled further and have made the biggest impact in an artistic sense and am more widely known thus I should get more money.

Last edited:
There are lots of people around with a sense of self importance it has little to do with being an artist.
I don't think Morrissey thinks more of himself than most pop stars,celeb,actors, First class seated travellers, boy racers, overly greased estate agents etc, etc think of themselves.

I think Morrissey has had and still does have a very good idea of where "Morrissey" the pop star stands in the musical history books.
Thus, when he says something like, I don't know..."john Peel got such and such for a book deal, I should get more". He isn't saying "my life is worth more than his, I am a better human". He is saying in pop culture I have travelled further and have made the biggest impact in an artistic sense and am more widely known thus I should get more money.

Spot on

Back
Top Bottom