Moz soundbite re this site!

[...] However, you must understand, a lot of Morrissey admirers do not understand boundries when it comes to what they should and should not discuss... [...]

perhaps, if they met him, they'd understand better

I love Janice Long's show. I always listen. I used to find those reeeally awkward 'chats' with the weather forecaster annoying, but I had a word with myself and got over it and now I think they're quite sweet. Also, Janice Long gave the Maladjusted Moz disco a plug on her show. :cool: She is second only to Ken Bruce. ;)

perhaps, if they met him, they'd understand better

YOU'RE really MORRISSEY arent you! *gasp*

I know it sounds really silly but it's true. We think we have an idea of who he is...but there is a subconscious part of us that sees him as a virtual man...a disbelief. It is not until he's standing in front of you, connecting with you in some way, alive, that you realize- you know, this really IS a person!

The strange thing about being a Moz addict is trying to figure out where the character Morrissey ends and the real man begins. He insists that the character is all there is, when he's not onstage, he is nothing, but that can't be. And we get little glimpses of what he's really like in the Importance from O'Brien and Linder. But only the tiniest glimpses. It just leaves you wanting more.

[...] It is not until he's standing in front of you, connecting with you in some way, alive, that you realize- you know, this really IS a person!

yeah, i'm really feelin' that

I stay away from discussion or speculation on Morrissey-the-person, as I feel it's intrusive. Looking objectively at the front part of this site, I don't blame him for disliking it--it really IS shockingly negative (witness any thread related to a cancelled gig and see the vitriol spewing from his so-called "fans"!)--and some of the discussion of his personal life and habits is really over the line (for example, speculation on what size/type underwear he wears. . .let alone those people who claim to actually KNOW this information). If I were him, I'd be more repelled by that sort of stuff than I would be enchanted with the positive, constructive discussions of his work, or of issues important to him, and would stay away.

It's hard to know where to draw lines, when discussing a public figure, but I tend to think that speculation and/or gossip about his private life is really inappropriate, aside from information he puts out there, which as we all know, isn't much.

I understand where it comes from; I really do. It has been my long-held opinion that Morrissey and his fans have a relationship unique in all of pop culture, and I feel that Morrissey is, perhaps, the most ardently loved human in existence (there aren't as many people who know who he is as might know another public figure, but we love him to an exponential degree and are loyal to a fault). I am not embarassed to say I love Morrissey, in as real a way (though, clearly a very different way) as I love my husband, friends, and children. But I also recognize that there is a line of respectfulness that ought not to be crossed. Some of the threads in these forums make me think, "Gods, if Moz saw this he'd think we were a bunch of crazies."

FWIW though, I wondered, the first time I saw Moz refer to the site as "SoLow," if he wasn't making a joke at HIS OWN expense. . that he is the one who is "so low" and therefore doesn't deserve a site that puts him on such a pedestal. Could go either way, I think, unless there are more references by him, that I'm unaware of.

--jeniphir

Mark E Smith read his forum messages. To such an extent that it is now the Unofficial Fall website!!!

As for this one um if I was Morrissey I'd avoid it like the plague. But then he wrote a song about the internet community didn't he?

we/I are/am all obviously intrigued by Mrs Pins statement.... is it Gary Glitter:rolleyes:

Scott Walker I reckon

Lol!! Gary Glitter!! Obviously I can't say, but I can eliminate Gary from the list of possibilities!

I love Solo, but I think as always there are a few who spoil its reputation. It is far and away a better and more democratic site than TTY, and I just hope the Himself gets to hear some of the more balanced opinions being expressed here.

He should definately have a sneaky peek at the Frink thread - if that doesn't boost your ego nothing will! :D

I guess you never read the main board then? This is the most negative fan site in existence.

Never read the main board.....it's troll city.
Much prefer the forums, where some negativity exists, but the real members whos care make it worthwhile

Yeah, as people have been saying I don't think the main board is representative of the site as a whole.

Also, people have to understand that this is not a "fan site" in the mold of others of that ilk. It's closer to the Wiki model, where the people visiting the site make up the content of the site rather than some God-like site operator. The front page is almost entirely submissions from visitors and that's how it's supposed to be.

If I were Morrissey's right-hand guy (hmm, that sounds saucy) I'd let him see this site only after explaining how it's built and why it's built that way. Any front page News item is like a giant billboard that people are encouraged to come and add graffitti to. It's deliberately anarchic. David puts a lot of work into the site and there are editing and content guidelines, but the basic philosophy is simple: the site is what we make it.

But, you know, no matter how many cruel cowards anonymously slander Morrissey on the front page, the fact is they wouldn't be coming here if they weren't Morrissey fans either currently or at some point in the past. These are people in the fan base, like it or not, so perhaps the site as a whole-- Forum and Front Page inclusive-- is an accurate picture of his fans.

Last edited:
Rocco Sifredi also asked the same question last year:

http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=61718

Some people claimed that Morrissey's friend used to be a member and regularly reporting him about the site.
We don't know if he still has a friend who does the similar things these days.

Wendy Wu. I re-read her posts, thanks for the link(s). If there's any one reason why Morrissey dislikes this site, it's probably Wendy. She said she would read the site and filter stories and comments for him. Probably went something like "Another two hundred malicious, vulgar, hurtful comments about you on that site today, Moz-- here are the handful of good ones!" Hard to fault her, I guess, but I imagine Morrissey was prejudiced against this site long before he ever visited himself, if indeed he has at all.

Back
Top Bottom