Music-News / Fiona Dodwell: "Morrissey UK tour a hit with fans despite continued label silence" (July 19, 2023)

Excerpt:

Brit music legend Morrissey has been touring live dates across the UK with his new band line-up. With long-time lead guitarist Jesse Tobias now playing alongside Carmen Vandenberg, Juan Galeano and Brendan Buckley, Morrissey has been performing a string of sold-out shows in Leeds, Portsmouth, Dublin and Liverpool. With the next show being at London's Troxy this coming Saturday – also now sold out – the former Smiths frontman has been delighting crowds by performing a string of both old hits and new, as yet unreleased, tracks.

New Dodwell piece, if anyone is interested.
Same as the others

Yes, I think it's Dodwell who has quit Morrissey, not the other way around. Possibly she was irked when Camila Grey was taken aboard, because now the British God had brought a younger and comelier goth girl into the flock of votaries, and she felt insulted. Her "Axl Rose is rock's greatest frontman" piece might've been Dodwell's unsubtle kiss-off letter to Morrissey, and she's probably doubly nerved to realize he never read it.
Camila is older than Fido and can’t play guitar much better than she writes so……

Camila is older than Fido and can’t play guitar much better than she writes so……

How old is Dodwell? Camila Grey looks younger. I don't know about her guitar skills, but her keyboard playing seems fine to my (admittedly) unprofessional ear. For it to be as bad as Dodwell's writing it would have to sound like someone punching at the keys of an out-of-tune piano.

But the real issue is who is the better goth, and I think Camila Grey wins that easily. Dodwell is too earnest with her paranormal investigations and girly horror fiction. When Camila Grey is in her goth drag, with shades and hat and black suit and fingering her Catholic necklaces, she looks like she could live in a dusty Italian village with a skull on her coffee table and put a hex on you.

How old is Dodwell? Camila Grey looks younger. I don't know about her guitar skills, but her keyboard playing seems fine to my (admittedly) unprofessional ear. For it to be as bad as Dodwell's writing it would have to sound like someone punching at the keys of an out-of-tune piano.

But the real issue is who is the better goth, and I think Camila Grey wins that easily. Dodwell is too earnest with her paranormal investigations and girly horror fiction. When Camila Grey is in her goth drag, with shades and hat and black suit and fingering her Catholic necklaces, she looks like she could live in a dusty Italian village with a skull on her coffee table and put a hex on you.
This is the kind of quality content that I love about this crazy, crazy site! Yes, exactly: Fiona looks like she'd be at home in a slightly cheeky ad for Oxo gravy, while Camila could have walked off the set of a peak Tim Burton movie.

Fiona looks like she'd be at home in a slightly cheeky ad for Oxo gravy

I could also see her being interviewed for an episode of a cheesy, low budget "Haunted Britain" TV show, talking (in perfect seriousness) about the ghost of a jilted Victorian girl whose spirit is visible in a photo of a séance, maybe even quoting "there are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio" to prove her literary bonafides. "Fiona Dodwell: author and journalist" says the identifier box.

I didn’t realise Fido was meant to be a goth. Is she? I don’t get the comparison

Camila is like one of the men in the band to be honest. Wouldn’t want to meet her down a dark alley either lol

I didn’t realise Fido was meant to be a goth. Is she? I don’t get the comparison

I'm not sure if she's meant to be a goth, but it's what I suppose. I give her credit for not being a preening exhibitionist on Instagram, so photos of her are sparse, but the nose ring and the eyeshadow and the fact that she writes novels about hauntings and the occult seem to suggest the gothic. She doesn't have to look the part, but it helps. It's why Anne Rice with her necklaces and ascots and Louisiana Catholicism was the cooler horror writer than Stephen King of Maine, who seemed more like a high school science teacher.

876085a86ed911e180c9123138016265_7.jpg

740full-camila-grey.jpg

I am catholic like Morrissey and I don’t like the okkult stuff. It does cost me enough nerves to watch the Ouija Board video.

Tags
fiona dodwell
Back
Top Bottom