New Morrissey songs ?

zulu sierra

Born again atheist
Anyone knows if Morrissey has penned new songs recently ?

What are the chances of a new studio album with new songs within the next 24 months ?

Thanks , Merci , Grazie , Danke shoen , Gracias , Shkran , Tak , Efkharistow , Dannevaad , Teshekkur , Terima Kasee , Kaap kuun krap , etc.....

Anyone knows if Morrissey has penned new songs recently ?

What are the chances of a new studio album with new songs within the next 24 months ?

Thanks , Merci , Grazie , Danke shoen , Gracias , Shkran , Tak , Efkharistow , Dannevaad , Teshekkur , Terima Kasee , Kaap kuun krap , etc.....

nope, no-one knows. well, no-one round here!
there were four or five extra intriguingly-titled Morrissey/Whyte songs listed on the publishing website (Warner Chappel) but we don't know how advanced they were.
I'm really hoping we'll get at least one completely new song on the Swords tour, although that could be wishful thinking (as they say).

Given the state of his career right now, it would be wisest to give it a rest right now and not release a new album until 2012.

In the meantime he could keep touring of course, and why not do so with some former associates?

Given the state of his career right now, it would be wisest to give it a rest right now and not release a new album until 2012.

In the meantime he could keep touring of course, and why not do so with some former associates?

yeah, Moz is gonna need a rethink for the next stage of his career. he's been operating in the realms of rapidly diminishing returns since 2004. Quarry sold over a million, ROTT about half as much, and YOR just half of ROTT (or thereabouts), so the prospect of continuing on this trajectory will not appeal to him.
he'll either need to go away for some time (at least 3 or 4 years) so it feels like genuine comeback, or come up with a new approach which could include a certain Mr J M Maher (of Wythenshawe)...

Alain Whyte's facebook status said that he was writing. Whether or not he was writing for Morrissey or was not specified, but just thought I'd put that out there :blushing:

I hope he starts working on a new album at the earliest opportunity (early new year, by the looks of it). Whether you actually like any of the last three records, there's no denying that each of the albums have had their own distinct character (YOR is as different from ROTT, as ROTT is from YATQ). If he continues on the same trajectory, the next album should be interesting at the very least.

Those who feel his creative powers are on the wane may recommend a period of rest, but I'd rather he was prolific, offering up occasional gems like My Dearest Love, Christian Dior, Good Looking Man About Town, It's Not Your Birthday Anymore, Black Cloud (mighty, indeed, Mr Boz). If that means a few more THPGUs (Why, Mr Boz? Why?), I can live with that. That's why God gave us the 'skip' button.

I sincerely hope he is thinking about the new album in the new year but what i would love to see first is a live DVD. We need an official release after Who put the....
Cheers Moz

I hope he starts working on a new album at the earliest opportunity (early new year, by the looks of it). Whether you actually like any of the last three records, there's no denying that each of the albums have had their own distinct character (YOR is as different from ROTT, as ROTT is from YATQ). If he continues on the same trajectory, the next album should be interesting at the very least.
Those who feel his creative powers are on the wane may recommend a period of rest, but I'd rather he was prolific, offering up occasional gems like My Dearest Love, Christian Dior, Good Looking Man About Town, It's Not Your Birthday Anymore, Black Cloud (mighty, indeed, Mr Boz). If that means a few more THPGUs (Why, Mr Boz? Why?), I can live with that. That's why God gave us the 'skip' button.

Hi, when I mentioned his trajectory, I meant commercial rather than quality wise. His Quarry-era fanbase is in rapid global retreat! For him, the prospect of ever further reductions in record sales would be quite humiliating.
His sales are also reaching the point now where conventional record companies lose interest, and he may have to sign up with a much smaller label than he feels his status deserves (which is what happened from 97 to 03). To rejuvenate sales, he needs some kind of new angle, or new spark, i.e. not another set of Boorer/Tobias/Whyte indie pop.
Like you, I'd be happy for him to keep knocking out albums every couple of years. There's certainly been enough decent stuff recently to keep me interested. Roll on the Swords tour!

Hi, when I mentioned his trajectory, I meant commercial rather than quality wise. His Quarry-era fanbase is in rapid global retreat! For him, the prospect of ever further reductions in record sales would be quite humiliating.
His sales are also reaching the point now where conventional record companies lose interest, and he may have to sign up with a much smaller label than he feels his status deserves (which is what happened from 97 to 03). To rejuvenate sales, he needs some kind of new angle, or new spark, i.e. not another set of Boorer/Tobias/Whyte indie pop.
Like you, I'd be happy for him to keep knocking out albums every couple of years. There's certainly been enough decent stuff recently to keep me interested. Roll on the Swords tour!

I think I just subliminally picked up on your use of the word 'trajectory' :o. I agree with pretty much everything you've said regarding his commercial track record (clearly something of a decline). I wish it didn't matter to Morrissey and he just kept at it, irrespective of sales. Silly, I know, given Morrissey's explicit statements regarding chart position etc. For me, it's all just songs, some good, some bad, some exquisite. Albums? Well, they're just a format, really, aren't they, a means of throwing a perimeter around a batch of songs?

More songs can never be a bad thing. Long live the Morrissey song continuum.

If I was in the enviable position of being Morrissey's manager, I'd recommend he find a single collaborator, and that they should lock themselves up in a log cabin in Dakota and not emerge until (bearded and red-eyed) they've created an album's worth of intense and desperate demos.

I think I just subliminally picked up on your use of the word 'trajectory' :o. I agree with pretty much everything you've said regarding his commercial track record (clearly something of a decline). I wish it didn't matter to Morrissey and he just kept at it, irrespective of sales. Silly, I know, given Morrissey's explicit statements regarding chart position etc. For me, it's all just songs, some good, some bad, some exquisite. Albums? Well, they're just a format, really, aren't they, a means of throwing a perimeter around a batch of songs?

More songs can never be a bad thing. Long live the Morrissey song continuum.

If I was in the enviable position of being Morrissey's manager, I'd recommend he find a single collaborator, and that they should lock themselves up in a log cabin in Dakota and not emerge until (bearded and red-eyed) they've created an album's worth of intense and desperate demos.

Excellent post :clap:

As for your cabin idea -- a sort of Bron-Yr-Aur, so to speak? :o
I'm not sure I'd suggest that, per se. For some reason, isolationism just doesn't seem to be what drives Morrissey to make good music anymore. Oh, yes, it worked in legendary proportions for him in the past (one only has to listen to The Smiths' debut to know that he cultivated a lot all those years in the bedroom), but something like RoTT, for example, could only have been written if Morrissey were out walking through Rome with his heart on a string. That's just my take on it though :D

Excellent post :clap:

As for your cabin idea -- a sort of Bron-Yr-Aur, so to speak? :o
I'm not sure I'd suggest that, per se. For some reason, isolationism just doesn't seem to be what drives Morrissey to make good music anymore. Oh, yes, it worked in legendary proportions for him in the past (one only has to listen to The Smiths' debut to know that he cultivated a lot all those years in the bedroom), but something like RoTT, for example, could only have been written if Morrissey were out walking through Rome with his heart on a string. That's just my take on it though :D

Less Bron-Yr-Aur, more, I don't know, The Shining?

I think Morrissey has produced some great music in recent years as part of a collective, but I'm curious as to what would emerge if he was dropped into a pressure cooker environment.

That said, I'd love to see him record an album with a mass of collaborators. Morrissey with The Go! Team. It could work.

I may be wrong but I expect something very very good from the future album. It could be a new Vauxhall and I...but I want to shut my mouth now.

I do not believe that Morrissey is gonna realease something new soon. YoR os "so young" - therefore he needs to promote it.

That said, I'd love to see him record an album with a mass of collaborators. Morrissey with The Go! Team. It could work.

Perhaps a Sinatra-esque "duets" album? :D I'd go for that.
Or one of those "...and Friends" discs -- except Morrissey would have to put a more unique spin on it -- "Morrissey and Indifferent Acquaintances" :o
Genius loves company :)

I do not believe that Morrissey is gonna realease something new soon. YoR os "so young" - therefore he needs to promote it.

I wouldn't call YoR young -- the tour is already over, so I'm assuming promotion for it is completely over. Also, I think with 'Swords' coming out we can throw away any opportunity at another single from YoR, as unfortunate as that may be :(
But I also think it is unrealistic of us to expect a brand new album in 2010. I think the days are past when Morrissey would release a new album/new live album in succession each year, such as the 'Your Arsenal,' 'Beethoven Was Deaf,' 'Vauxhall and I' run in the 90s.
However, with 55 being but 5 years away, I know I am not alone in hoping that we can get but one more full-length studio endeavor from Morrissey..:blushing:

However, with 55 being but 5 years away, I know I am not alone in hoping that we can get but one more full-length studio endeavor from Morrissey..:blushing:

I think we're all clamoring for this? At least you and I are anyways?:D

I recently spoke to a friend of mine that used to do promo stuff for Mercury, he said that while Maladjusted was reissued w/bonus tracks, he knows for a fact there was supposed to be more tracks released from Maladjusted eventually. He claims(and I believe him), that Moz had something like 30-40 songs written around the Maladjusted release, and they had scrapped quite a few, and there were talks of releasing them down the road. He also told me there were a number of instrumentals and bits and bops he said that were scrapped as well, that were very very nice.

Will they get released? Not sure. But, he did say there was at least another album or 2 worth of unreleased material from the Maladjusted era.

Me three. :thumb: I'd love to hear some new material, at least one more proper album before he retires.

I recently spoke to a friend of mine that used to do promo stuff for Mercury, he said that while Maladjusted was reissued w/bonus tracks, he knows for a fact there was supposed to be more tracks released from Maladjusted eventually. He claims(and I believe him), that Moz had something like 30-40 songs written around the Maladjusted release, and they had scrapped quite a few, and there were talks of releasing them down the road. He also told me there were a number of instrumentals and bits and bops he said that were scrapped as well, that were very very nice.

Will they get released? Not sure. But, he did say there was at least another album or 2 worth of unreleased material from the Maladjusted era.

This doesn't seem to square up with what Goddard's research yielded in Mozipedia nor is supported by Spencer Cobrin's or Jonny Bridgwood's recollections of those sessions. Spencer provided three additional demos that either were never attempted or never completed in the studio ("Hanratty," "Nightmare," the original version of "It's Hard to Walk Tall When You're Small"), Boz's "Kit" and "I Know Who I Love" were recorded but left unreleased, and Alain may have had an additional handful of tunes left on the cutting room floor. 30 - 40 is a pretty high number coming only two years after Southpaw Grammar. There were around 20-25 songs recorded during the main YATQ sessions after an even longer break.

Maybe they are thinking in terms of the additional session from summer 1997 which resulted in the "Roy's Keen" and "Satan..." B-sides?

Cheers,
Jamie

Back
Top Bottom