Morrissey Central "New Recording." (February 20, 2023)

WITHOUT MUSIC THE WORLD DIES has been recorded in France. The 10-track album has been described by Jesse Tobias as "a lightning strike."

This is the 5th Morrissey album produced by Joe Chiccarelli.
The songs are:

The Night Pop Dropped
Zoom Zoom The Little Boy
Boulevard
Headache
Without Music the World Dies

Suspicious Minds
Notre-Dame
Many Icebergs Ago
Happy New Tears
The Monsters of Pig Alley

1 and 2 co-written with Jesse Tobias
3, 7, 9, 10 co-written with Alain Whyte
4, 5, 8 co-written with Gustavo Manzur
6 written by Mark Adams
Engineered by Bill Mimms.
Recorded at La Fabrique Studios in St-Remy, France.
Jesse Tobias guitars
Alain Whyte guitars and backing vocals
Gustavo Manzur keyboards and backing vocals
Juan Galeano bass
Brendan Buckley drums

Capitol Records Los Angeles recently terminated their contract with Morrissey, therefore if any record label or private investor has interest in releasing this project, please contact Donnie Knutson at

[email protected]

Attack-min.png

Details of the newly completed album 'Without Music the World Dies', plus news that Capitol Records has terminated their contract with Morrissey.

Just self-release both on Bandcamp already, and do boutique label CD & Vinyl deluxe versions for those who want a hard format. He has to get out of this Boomer "big label" mentality, as if he needs some big corporate machine these days to release an album for him, along with a big "single" promotional push, etc. Those day are dead.

Ridiculous - 2 new Morrissey albums in the can (one on the shelf for 2 years), but no actual release of either planned anytime soon it seems.
Assuming what Moz says is true, Capitol would own Bonfire.

They have been out to destroy him for years. But he's a survivor.
Morrissey has been out to destroy himself for years. It's a recurring self-destructive behaviour pattern. I have absolutely no doubt that if he manages to get any label interested in releasing 'Without Music the World Dies' he will engineer a falling out with them almost immediately. It's what he does.

Following the track list release I was curious as to how many single word song titles Morrissey has created over the years, so I've compiled them below, it's frankly more than I expected;
Suedehead
Disappointed
Tomorrow
Speedway
London
Boxers
Southpaw
Maladjusted
Ammunition
Lost
Mexico
Istanbul
Mountjoy
Israel
Scandinavia
Boulevard
Headache
Notre-Dame

Quite a large portion are location related, and WMTWD has the largest total of single word titles on a main album at 3, the most being 2 from what I've seen going back through the discography...WPINOYB technically has 3 but one of them is a bonus track.
Interlude
Following the track list release I was curious as to how many single word song titles Morrissey has created over the years, so I've compiled them below, it's frankly more than I expected;
Suedehead
Disappointed
Tomorrow
Speedway
London
Boxers
Southpaw
Maladjusted
Ammunition
Lost
Mexico
Istanbul
Mountjoy
Israel
Scandinavia
Boulevard
Headache
Notre-Dame

Quite a large portion are location related, and WMTWD has the largest total of single word titles on a main album at 3, the most being 2 from what I've seen going back through the discography...WPINOYB technically has 3 but one of them is a bonus track.
Interlude

Suedehead
Disappointed
Tomorrow
Speedway
London
Boxers
Southpaw
Maladjusted
Ammunition
Lost
Mexico
Istanbul
Mountjoy
Israel
Scandinavia
Boulevard
Headache
Notre-Dame

Interlude

Always wonder which of any song’s lyrics are written during the recording process. Songs with titles such as Boulevard and especially Notre-Dame, makes me think that maybe they were inspired (by being in Paris) more recently rather than complete and brought to the session. That’s not to say that Paris hasn’t been an inspiration before, of course.

bombing attempts, hammer and knife attacks, a big (bon?)fire in 2019. He said about his enemies that they would even lay fire to his mother's hair.

Ah, yes I was only going through M's solo albums and didn't include any Smiths tracks haha, I did miss Ganglord and Sunny though, good catch :sweatsmile:
I thought that - but then I saw you had 'London' in there?
There is Interlude and Moonriver of course - but both not written by Moz.
And I think the original Henry Mancini title is 'Moon River'.

Last edited:
A quick Google search says Mark James was indeed the songwriter for Elvis Presley's 'Suspicious Minds'. So it will be a cover
But the info on Morrissey Central says "Mark Adams," not Mark James (who actually wrote the Elvis song). Unless Central have erred in identifying the correct Mark, then it is not a cover, but simply borrows the title.

Assuming what Moz says is true, Capitol would own Bonfire.
None of the public info I've seen indicates who owns the masters, nor - I assume - do you have access to the actual contract and various termination clauses, which presumably specify who owns the masters in the event the contract is cancelled for various reasons or Capitol refuses to release the album. You're assuming a lot to just badly claim Capitol owns Bonfire and can just sit on it forever if they want (In which case, why did they sign him in the first place? Just out of spite to refuse to release an album? Rather stupid and wasteful).

But the info on Morrissey Central says "Mark Adams," not Mark James (who actually wrote the Elvis song). Unless Central have erred in identifying the correct Mark, then it is not a cover, but simply borrows the title.

Maybe it's deliberate typo, soon to be corrected—but slipped in as a hint to remind us of the mole in the Morrissey office: Adam Omega.

None of the public info I've seen indicates who owns the masters, nor - I assume - do you have access to the actual contract and various termination clauses, which presumably specify who owns the masters in the event the contract is cancelled for various reasons or Capitol refuses to release the album. You're assuming a lot to just badly claim Capitol owns Bonfire and can just sit on it forever if they want (In which case, why did they sign him in the first place? Just out of spite to refuse to release an album? Rather stupid and wasteful).
The statement on Moz Central dated 7th Feb states that Capitol will not be releasing BOT and that they are 'holding on to the album'. There is then a suggestion that they may be doing this to 'sabotage' the album.
Of course, this is only one side of the story - but it does seem clear from that statement that ownership of the album resides with Capitol. 'RIP' seems pretty clear.

as an elvis fan im pleased that this could be a cover,not convinced though.remember years ago i typed in angels and there was about 20 different songs with the same title.
suspicious minds is quite apt for the world we live in,could be about anything.

as an elvis fan im pleased that this could be a cover,not convinced though.remember years ago i typed in angels and there was about 20 different songs with the same title.
suspicious minds is quite apt for the world we live in,could be about anything.

It's almost a certainly a typo in the credits. Otherwise, whose song is Morrissey covering? Hopefully not this Mark Adams, with his lilting and cutesy "indie" stylings.

Always wonder which of any song’s lyrics are written during the recording process. Songs with titles such as Boulevard and especially Notre-Dame, makes me think that maybe they were inspired (by being in Paris) more recently rather than complete and brought to the session. That’s not to say that Paris hasn’t been an inspiration before, of course.

I'm wondering that too now you've said it, especially since it's been described as a 'lightning strike', and the song titles themselves even look more sporadic - could be an interesting album.

I'm wondering that too now you've said it, especially since it's been described as a 'lightning strike', and the song titles themselves even look more sporadic - could be an interesting album.
Musically his most ‘rock’ album since Your Arsenal maybe.

It's almost a certainly a typo in the credits. Otherwise, whose song is Morrissey covering? Hopefully not this Mark Adams, with his lilting and cutesy "indie" stylings.
who said its a cover,we dont know what it is yet.

who said its a cover,we dont know what it is yet.

It's a song credited solely to a Mark Adams; not a co-write. Unless Morrissey has decided to write his own music and use a pseudonym, it's a cover.

Tags
without music the world dies

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom